Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 05:51   #631

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Lol not one positive comment from their supporters. I guess that’s what happens when an elitist show their true colors For me, never liked them . I have others that I watch, that I feel ad value by providing teaching and travel tip moments. These two just show their viewers what happens when people pay their way and are given a million dollar cat for free......entitlement!
Sooooooo many jealous h8trs out there!

C'mon guys, living from Parteon and Youtube does not mean giving up the right of personal opinions nor the right of free expression. This PC stuff is so bigot.

You are free to like them or dislike them, agree or disagree with them, support them or not - but not to judge them.

I prefer an honest rant, that shows what these people think and stand for - then a pretended polished everyone's darling hello-kitty video to please the crowd and avoid confrontation.

(and I apologize formally to all "Hello Kitty" fans - nothing wrong with you guys)

Here is another example of jealous h8ters and liveaboards...

Old 24-10-2018, 06:07   #632

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Lol not one positive comment from their supporters. I guess that’s what happens when an elitist show their true colors For me, never liked them . I have others that I watch, that I feel ad value by providing teaching and travel tip moments. These two just show their viewers what happens when people pay their way and are given a million dollar cat for free......entitlement!
Elitist, how? I'd probably come up with the same reasons to not go on a cruise ship. I'm far from elitist, we live in a small 4 room cottage that has access to a large lake but is worth far less than most people here spend on their boats.

Unless you like gambling, drinking your face off or bowling on an alley that moves, what else is there to do on a cruise ship? I got out bowled by a 4 year old because he got lucky, darn it!
Old 24-10-2018, 07:46   #633

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Sooooooo many jealous h8trs out there!

C'mon guys, living from Parteon and Youtube does not mean giving up the right of personal opinions nor the right of free expression. This PC stuff is so bigot.

You are free to like them or dislike them, agree or disagree with them, support them or not - but not to judge them.

I prefer an honest rant, that shows what these people think and stand for - then a pretended polished everyone's darling hello-kitty video to please the crowd and avoid confrontation.

Here is another example of jealous h8ters and liveaboards...
You call me a jealous, hater and a bigot for voicing my opinion (see the irony?) and in the same response tell me I can’t judge them (one could argue by calling me jealous, hater and bigot that you've judged me for voicing my opinion again do you see the irony?) interesting use of worded hypocrisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Elitist, how? I'd probably come up with the same reasons to not go on a cruise ship. I'm far from elitist, we live in a small 4 room cottage that has access to a large lake but is worth far less than most people here spend on their boats.

Unless you like gambling, drinking your face off or bowling on an alley that moves, what else is there to do on a cruise ship? I got out bowled by a 4 year old because he got lucky, darn it!

I'll keep my response simple.......These people were approached by the cruise line for a sponsorship. Know who knows what all transpired but either way a deal wasn't reached and then they turn around a bashed the industry. In addition you weren't given a million dollar cat and am being solely supported by youtube and patreon views only to lecture their viewers why they shouldn't take, what maybe their only affordable means, a family vacation, visit an exotic port and be on the water. They complained the industry dumps trash and yet there is a video in which Riley does the same thing and even states that it's okay to dump trash. They bitched and moaned about being in a port and all of a sudden a cruise ship just shows up. Really?? Everyone who has been around a cruise port knows exactly when the ship is pulling in. You don't want to be there take your donated million dollar cat and move to another island. They pump their sewage into the water they are most likely anchored in which is more nasty (another thread already goes on about this subject) than dumping in open water. They joke about the low wages these "Filipinos" make but again are being paid by viewers. This is all hypocrisy! That's my complaint! but according to some I'm just jealous, a hater and bigot.

FYI - where I come from a 4 room cottage with lake access is called a lake house and only the elite, who don't see themselves as elite, can own one. I guess it all depends on the persons perspective whether they are an elitist or not!
Old 24-10-2018, 07:49   #634

Don’t watch too many
Saillife & Boatworks mostly
but did see the last episode of
La Vagabonde
Got a kick out of Elayna commenting on
the “Sterotype” of Miami boaters with
“Girls dancining in Bikinis on the foredeck”
Jump the Shark big time for me
If she were to dress in a Berka
their channel would dry up in a heartbeat
Who do they think there kidding???
Old 24-10-2018, 07:51   #635

Quote:
You call me a hater and a bigot for voicing my opinion and in the same response tell me I can’t judge them interesting use of worded hypocrisy.
I am referring to the many hate posts they have got, just for speaking out and telling what they think. You are free to voice your opinion too of course about the cruise ships without getting personal. Nobody deserves a shitstorm.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:25   #636

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
In addition you weren't given a million dollar cat and am being solely supported by youtube and patreon views only to lecture their viewers why they shouldn't take, what maybe their only affordable means, a family vacation, visit an exotic port and be on the water.
They weren't given it. They made a hell of a good deal for payments and sponsorship discount but they are still on the hook for most of the cost. If a young Donald Trump, Richard Branson or Micheal Dell had done it we would be applauding them for being great businesmen.

Quote:
FYI - where I come from a 4 room cottage with lake access is called a lake house and only the elite, who don't see themselves as elite, can own one. I guess it all depends on the persons perspective whether they are an elitist or not!
Where I come from having a $100,000 motor boat is called having a yacht and only the elite — who don't see themselves as elite — can own one. I guess it all depends on the persons perspective whether they are an elitist or not!

Seriously. I got no issue with you hating on their video. It was, as someone said, tone-deaf. But these kids have gone from some saved cash in their pocket made from working hard on the rigs to a world-wide phenomenon. Martha Stewart anyone? You don't have to like them (and I generally don't) to appreciate the kind of genius that went into building their brand and then growing it to the million dollar level.

And if anyone thinks it was all luck and T&A then I feel for them as its likely they will never enjoy the same success.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:31   #637

Quote:
Yeh, they are great. We like their v-log.
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with them. They carried their guns from Florida to Australia, declaring them only when they felt it benefited them. They are sometimes genuinely afraid of the people and cultures they visit and only because of their own internal prejudices.

But they are genuine, honest about their own prejudices, and are determined to soak in the world in a better than touristy way. It wlll be interesting to see if the cat-thing changes them like it did SLV. I can see it happening already.
Old 24-10-2018, 10:58   #638

Home schooling of three teenagers on a catamaran while sailing is not that easy I guess... And they have to save money to cruise, no Patreon / crowd funding stuff either.

Zatara is somewhat a honest view on living on a boat for a while, they enjoy what they are doing instead doing something to enjoy the sponsors....
Old 24-10-2018, 15:22   #639
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I am referring to the many hate posts they have got, just for speaking out and telling what they think. You are free to voice your opinion too of course about the cruise ships without getting personal. Nobody deserves a shitstorm.
I agree, nobody deserves it, but when you solicit financial support from sharing your lifestyle and musings.., you kinda leave that door open.

It's interesting to compare the evolution of Delos and Vagabond as their following grew and their videos became more scripted.

Delos seems to have stayed more natural and understated, self effacing yet more adventureous and educational.

I rarely get bored watching their new episodes whereas I see less energy and a lot of filler in Vagabond's productions.

Maybe it is because Delos has more crew or the two brothers just complement each other a bit better, but with Delos, I feel I am sharing their journey.

With Vagabond, I feel I'm just watching a show now.
Old 25-10-2018, 03:23   #640

SV Delos is way behind with their Vlog.

They shoot all day long from all perspectives and sent the material to some outsourced crew on land to do the professional cut / editing and polishing in Asia I recall from a video they mentioned that.

So there is not just scripted adventures, but also an external editor make-over / filter on the published content.

From a business point of view a smart step to leverage your business by outsourcing time consuming editing tasks and freeing time for capturing more coverage.

I guess, when they make the next step going on a big catamaran or larger vessel having the space for crew, they probably will hire a professional video (team) even for the filming work - would be the next logical step.
Old 25-10-2018, 03:47   #641

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with them. They carried their guns from Florida to Australia, declaring them only when they felt it benefited them. They are sometimes genuinely afraid of the people and cultures they visit and only because of their own internal prejudices.

But they are genuine, honest about their own prejudices, and are determined to soak in the world in a better than touristy way. It wlll be interesting to see if the cat-thing changes them like it did SLV. I can see it happening already.
I have watched only two episodes of Zatara (hey, thats more than I can stand of many other channels). At least the seem like a genuine family doing it their way. Not scripted reality with perfect editing.
They seem to do their videos for themselfs and their friends more than for the wider audience.

To me (!) it feels like they are having way more fun then many of the established channels.

Is this a new aspect for the mono-vs-cat discussions? "As soon as you get a cat you stop having fun but only try to look good, show some skin and sell clickbait"
Old 25-10-2018, 04:00   #642

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
SV Delos is way behind with their Vlog.

They shoot all day long from all perspectives and sent the material to some outsourced crew on land to do the professional cut / editing and polishing in Asia I recall from a video they mentioned that.

So there is not just scripted adventures, but also an external editor make-over / filter on the published content.

From a business point of view a smart step to leverage your business by outsourcing time consuming editing tasks and freeing time for capturing more coverage.

I guess, when they make the next step going on a big catamaran or larger vessel having the space for crew, they probably will hire a professional video (team) even for the filming work - would be the next logical step.
Cat, I think you're mistaken. If you look at the credits at the end of each Delos video they specify the editor of the episode. It's always one of the crew. I believe they do everything aboard Delos. I think one of the reasons for their success is that they have a larger crew and all of them are talented photographers and editors. This allows them to share tasks and put out a very high quality 30-minute video every week.
Old 25-10-2018, 08:02   #643

https://youtu.be/j7aq4M_lT44

Safety on Zatara and thoughts about penguines and redundancy. [emoji1]
Old 25-10-2018, 08:06   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Is this a new aspect for the mono-vs-cat discussions? "As soon as you get a cat you stop having fun but only try to look good, show some skin and sell clickbait"
But it is a thing right? We leaned to sail on monohull, chartering and then switched our next charter to a 40' powerboat. It was completely different: our attitudes, the things we did, the conveniences we took for granted, even the amount of touristy things we did. I imagine the luxury of a big cat with unlimited power and hot water, faster speeds etc. would be a bit insidious...
Old 25-10-2018, 08:10   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Cat, I think you're mistaken. If you look at the credits at the end of each Delos video they specify the editor of the episode. It's always one of the crew. I believe they do everything aboard Delos. I think one of the reasons for their success is that they have a larger crew and all of them are talented photographers and editors. This allows them to share tasks and put out a very high quality 30-minute video every week.
I think he was referring to Kiril who is ex-crew and now does the occasional stint as production person (you will see him in the credits). AFAIK Kiril left Delos to travel Asia, but he rejoined them to tour the Amel factory. I think I remember that videographer was his actual profession...
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard