Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 04:26   #616

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I watch and like their channel, when I saw this I thought it sounded like a deal between them and a cruise line gone bad and this is pay back. I think it is out of character and a mistake to air this regardless of the motivation. I don't think the way it presents fits their brand and it will hurt them when looking for good fit sponsors who might be nervous about getting a spray if things turn bad.
Old 23-10-2018, 05:30   #617

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I watch and like their channel, when I saw this I thought it sounded like a deal between them and a cruise line gone bad and this is pay back. I think it is out of character and a mistake to air this regardless of the motivation. I don't think the way it presents fits their brand and it will hurt them when looking for good fit sponsors who might be nervous about getting a spray if things turn bad.
Possibly, but I doubt they get an offer to get a cruise ship for a year for free or for a discount to make some videos about sailing it around - like the Outremar possibly did .

No, I think, they simply run out of ideas for interesting Vlogs, so any event, non-event or thought must be filmed to contribute to their weekly commitment with Patreon, I do not think it was a revenge action - it is more likely some green washing of their profile in hope to attract more people to their channel - maybe from a different bubble, activists have a broad reach on social media and outrage / controversal discussions are attractive for re-tweets.
Old 23-10-2018, 06:44   #618
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Actually, much of what they say is true, but the ships do help the local economies....just ask. I live in one, by the way. Whether it's worth the environmental or social costs is another thing.

However, as someone who is lucky enough to be living on a boat and traveling around, I try not to be judgemental on how others, less fortunate than many of us, get their traveling fix.

By the way, almost all travel is polluting, whether it be by ship, plane or car, or, yes, even by sailboat. And cruisers are not known for adding much to local economies, either, no matter how much we protest.
Old 23-10-2018, 07:20   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
Can't agree with you, have you ever seen the impact these behemoths have on communities and the trolls who travel on them.

Too many folks rant about "Freedom of Speech" but when it goes against their own views they are quick to slam others who's opinion differ from them.

Good on them for funding their live style this way no different than the rest of us and I know it is really hard work sailing and doing all the filming.
I don't believe you actually watched the video. (not that I blame you)
If you did, you are in a tiny minority. They were universally panned for this, even by their fans.

Of course cruise ships are terrible. Of course freedom of speech is precious. In fact, most of us can agree with the whole negative video. Most of us simply detest cruise ships.
All of that misses the point.

This elitest, self-serving message included such gems as: [comments added]
"it's not really travelling" [like the fancy style that we are privileged to do]
"they illegally dump rubbish overboard" [like we do in our video where we debate about which of our jetsam will actually sink]
"ejecting poop" [like we do, but we're only 2 people so that's ok]
"I recommend a sail charter instead"[because the average person could afford $7000 instead of $700 if only they were earning bank like us]

Tone deaf.
Old 23-10-2018, 13:01   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I'm starting to find all these new pop up channels quite offensive. It's your third episode and you're already begging for money on patreon, selling shirts, and asking for likes?

I swear I'm about to put on my orange vest, and start yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
I started by watching SV Delos and from them observed what channels do, e.g. send us money, don't forget to subscribe, give us likes, etc. As I discovered other channels I realized this was all about monetizing - naive me thought it must be really expensive to sail across an ocean.

There are some that are scraping by (I remember the early episodes of Untie the Lines where I was afraid she was going to sink) and others that are clearly well funded.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Lady Gecko one, it seems oddly slanted towards... what she's wearing. Sail Life, Ran Sailing and Sampson Boat Co are all excellent.

In any case there's a wide variety of content to satisfy every interest as well as the option to not watch anything.
Old 23-10-2018, 16:46   #621

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Wow, just read the comments left for them on YouTube !

They are getting canned by their fans big time.
Old 23-10-2018, 17:11   #622

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post

This elitest, self-serving message included such gems as: [comments added]
"it's not really travelling" [like the fancy style that we are privileged to do]
"they illegally dump rubbish overboard" [like we do in our video where we debate about which of our jetsam will actually sink]
"ejecting poop" [like we do, but we're only 2 people so that's ok]
"I recommend a sail charter instead"[because the average person could afford $7000 instead of $700 if only they were earning bank like us]

Tone deaf.
https://cruisemarketwatch.com/capacity/
Quote:
Total worldwide ocean cruise capacity at the end of 2018 will be 537,000 passengers and 314 ships.
If only all these 537000 people were to adopt the minimalist La Vagabounde lifestlye...
About 265000 large cats sailing cats would be littering the world
Old 23-10-2018, 18:00   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
If only all these 537000 people were to adopt the minimalist La Vagabounde lifestlye...
Haaaa,
That many catamarans might also be "annoying" to sensitive Riley...
"Annoying...we'll be in an anchorage like this, and they'll be maybe one or two other boats around, and then in-rolls a gigantic cruise ship and offloads 5000 passengers and they all go to a once-secluded beach."

Oh, how the internet weeps for the annoyed couple on the fancy Outremer.
(This sounds oddly similar to the "annoyed" ultra-rich California beach house owners who try to block public access to 'THEIR' nice quiet beaches.) It's such a shame that the peasant sunbathers can only afford to flock together. Why can't they all just get their own yachts and find their own beaches? Annoying.
Old 23-10-2018, 19:27   #624

Boat: Martin 242

I can't believe I got sucked in to reading this thread - anyhow, back to watching my favorite channels:

Zatara - A great channel about a family sailing with kids. The kids are older than mine, but nice to how they do, especially with thing like home schooling, which has reassured the wife when it is our time to go cruising full time. I really enjoyed their "first season" but it seems like since they bought their cat, and cruising the Med, it hasn't been as interesting. I think committing to releasing a new video each Thursday has made the content less interesting and perhaps more forced.

Happy Together - These guys just have a blast! They're always positive. I think they have great luck and it seems like things frequently go their way. It may be a skewed view of cruising (yes, I understand that they sail a couple of weeks, and then fly back to work their jobs for a month, repeat), but it is sure fun to watch and always puts me in a good mood.

Daley Adventure - My wife says I like the eye-candy on this channel, but more than that is how the couple really have a great time together. Yes, they are kind of a "disaster" in that they just went out and did it, and living the life that us armchair sailors dream to be. They don't take themselves seriously, have great humor, and put out a nicely edited video to boot.

A few other honorable mentions. I like SV Delos, but I think I caught their channel too late and now there are too many videos to catch up on. I also find them a little more difficult to relate to. I never really found Vagabond interesting, and reading about their popularity, maybe I have to give them a second chance. They have beautiful videography, but again I don't trust them to represent what cruising might look like for us. There are lots of scenic takes, but I don't find much education value in their videos. And finally, the first videos that got us dreaming was Distant Shores - more documentary than Vlog, and perhaps a little dated now, they were the first to inspire us.
Old 24-10-2018, 00:44   #625

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Wow, just read the comments left for them on YouTube !

They are getting canned by their fans big time.
Well the majority of their fans and patrons will be in the 'cruiser' age bracket rather than the Magaluf/Sunny Beach style 18-35s

Quote:

I'm not sure this would be so bad. I'll be in the market for a used cat in a few years once I've finished work on the 'goose. And that sort of supply would send prices tumbling
Old 24-10-2018, 01:11   #626

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee View Post
Zatara - A great channel about a family sailing with kids. The kids are older than mine, but nice to how they do, especially with thing like home schooling, which has reassured the wife when it is our time to go cruising full time. I really enjoyed their "first season" but it seems like since they bought their cat, and cruising the Med, it hasn't been as interesting. I think committing to releasing a new video each Thursday has made the content less interesting and perhaps more forced.

Happy Together - These guys just have a blast! They're always positive. I think they have great luck and it seems like things frequently go their way. It may be a skewed view of cruising (yes, I understand that they sail a couple of weeks, and then fly back to work their jobs for a month, repeat), but it is sure fun to watch and always puts me in a good mood.

Daley Adventure - My wife says I like the eye-candy on this channel, but more than that is how the couple really have a great time together. Yes, they are kind of a "disaster" in that they just went out and did it, and living the life that us armchair sailors dream to be. They don't take themselves seriously, have great humor, and put out a nicely edited video to boot.

A few other honorable mentions. I like SV Delos, but I think I caught their channel too late and now there are too many videos to catch up on. I also find them a little more difficult to relate to. I never really found Vagabond interesting, and reading about their popularity, maybe I have to give them a second chance. They have beautiful videography, but again I don't trust them to represent what cruising might look like for us. There are lots of scenic takes, but I don't find much education value in their videos. And finally, the first videos that got us dreaming was Distant Shores - more documentary than Vlog, and perhaps a little dated now, they were the first to inspire us.

Zatara... I just stumbled over this one:

I like their comments starting at 2:19 about patreon funding their lifestyle, and the promise to show some more skin in future videos.

Seems like an entertaining channel, and down to earth.

The others are just boring. Daley specifically is just another SLV.
Old 24-10-2018, 01:14   #627

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Zatara... I just stumbled over this one:

I like their comments starting at 2:19 about patreon funding their lifestyle, and the promise to show some more skin in future videos.

Seems like an entertaining channel, and down to earth.

The others are just boring. Daley specifically is just another SLV.
Yeh, they are great. We like their v-log.
Old 24-10-2018, 01:28   #628

Boat: naver 29

Quote:

If only all these 537000 people owere to adopt the minimalist La Vagabounde lifestlye...
And that's only per week!
Old 24-10-2018, 04:22   #629

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee View Post

I’m sat in a hire car as we explore Spain (Hayley is driving) while reading Cruisers Forum and we get a mention!!! How nice, thank you very much! I hope I’m the eye candy you’re referring to? Just read this to Hayley and it got a smile.

Hopefully people understand our motivations are a little different than some of the other YT channels. We don’t have any form of funding, no patreon and only receive a tiny amount from the ads at the beginning of each vid, this amounts to maybe $55 per vid for 20,000 views. This doesn’t even cover our equipment costs which is probably why we’re such terrible you tubers! Please don’t even mention our audio woes.

We do it for fun and for our family and friends to be able to follow our adventure, we never expected to get a thousand followers, never mind 10k. Now when we meet a subscriber or read thru our comments it motivates us even more to make our videos more interesting and better quality.
Old 24-10-2018, 05:33   #630

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Thoughts ?
I can Not wait to see what - PortClydeMe - has to say about this
Lol not one positive comment from their supporters. I guess that’s what happens when an elitist show their true colors For me, never liked them . I have others that I watch, that I feel ad value by providing teaching and travel tip moments. These two just show their viewers what happens when people pay their way and are given a million dollar cat for free......entitlement!
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard