Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 13:39   #571

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

here's a couple more
Sailing Ruby Rose. Brit couple who sailed from med to Caribbean and now back to the med again. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9r...FbnUSjtmv6Jq6w

Adventures of an Old Sea Dog. Brit guy (ex lifeboat man) who packed up and went down to Portugal, then to Canaries/Cape Verde, now in the Pacific. Interesting to watch his progression from total novice to very experienced. https://www.youtube.com/user/barryperrins
Old 13-08-2018, 12:24   #572

Brian from svdelos is a programmer. Riley got the catamaran as a freebie by the manufacturer. I follow about 50 of these folks. most of them have sold their homes and liquidated assets to cruise and liveaboard and abroad. none of them are 1%ers. I personally know 6 YouTubers.
Old 13-08-2018, 12:26   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yep, the questions of their finances have come to mind for me as well. Though it's obvious that some of the youtube channel stars come from money, & that it's not an issue. Still, it'd be interesting to know more details.
check out sailing zatara. Keith gives a breakdown of costs and how he saved. I've been saving for 5 years for my 90k boat and am just about there.
Old 13-08-2018, 12:27   #574

also most of them make money by ppl watching their videos, they also have patreon accounts and manufacturers donating products and goods
Old 13-08-2018, 12:40   #575

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 40CC

We too are a couple that have started a website/blog and youtube channel. Honestly, we started it so that our friends and family could keep and eye on us! (We tend to be people that see no limits and crazy things just happen to us.)

We don't expect to build and audience overnight and quite frankly, if we don't, that is still okay. For years we watched others' adventures and worked hard to get to a place that we could have our own. But it sure is fun to make videos and document our experiences and maybe, just maybe, others will enjoy it too!

The secret to a happy life is to do what you love and somehow figure out how to get paid for it. Who knows, maybe we will!
Cara
Old 13-08-2018, 12:47   #576

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitley70 View Post
Brian from svdelos is a programmer. Riley got the catamaran as a freebie by the manufacturer. I follow about 50 of these folks. most of them have sold their homes and liquidated assets to cruise and liveaboard and abroad. none of them are 1%ers. I personally know 6 YouTubers.
Actually to clarify svLaVagabon did not get their Outreimer for free from the manufacturer however they did get a discounted deal on it.
Old 13-08-2018, 14:31   #577

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Here is another new Youtube channel of a nice couple starting their circumnavigation in the Med on a Lagoon 400 Cat...

check it out....

https://youtu.be/xYgyjJo5C4o

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3W...qK3a8RU5zL8Bxg
Old 13-08-2018, 14:34   #578
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Actually to clarify svLaVagabon did not get their Outreimer for free from the manufacturer however they did get a discounted deal on it.

Your absolutely correct, and I believe they also got a great deal on the financing.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-08-2018, 14:36   #579

just reporting what I read on their post 2 years ago...they traded in their monohull and was given the cat by the manufacturer as a demo unit.
Old 14-08-2018, 04:29   #580
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I'd there any good video blogger that has done Asia?
Old 14-08-2018, 05:37   #581

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitley70 View Post
just reporting what I read on their post 2 years ago...they traded in their monohull and was given the cat by the manufacturer as a demo unit.
Their deal changed. It was gonna be a free demo for a year and they decided they wanted to buy it and Outremer basically gave it to them for cost with no or low interest rate.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 14-08-2018, 05:38   #582

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I'd there any good video blogger that has done Asia?
Check out followtheboat

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 14-08-2018, 06:59   #583

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Their deal changed. It was gonna be a free demo for a year and they decided they wanted to buy it and Outremer basically gave it to them for cost with no or low interest rate.
Yes, the deal changed. Mostly because Riley had no interest in moving aboard, sailing for a year, then having to make sure he was back in southern France a year later so they could move off the boat. So it turned into a one year lease (which has already passed) and the lease payments would be made by Outremer as long as they made 2 videos a month. Then the lease expired and they purchased the boat for a steep discount, and I believe Outremer had something to do with getting the loan approved. They are no longer beholden to anyone other than whoever financed the boat. At least that's how I remember the deal going down.

I saw that Matthieu from Outremer was on board early this spring for a "visit". I would bet that the purpose of his visit was to finalize the transfer paperwork from the lease to the purchase. The timing would make sense anyway.
Old 14-08-2018, 11:18   #584

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Yep. I'm aware of all that.

I've kind of stopped watching RAN. I enjoyed the last episode I saw where he was maintaining his winches, but just never went back after that. Think I enjoyed the voyage through Europe and crossing the Atlantic. The Caribbean doesn't seem to interest me.

I did see the hook up with Ulma though. I don't really watch Ulma other than when they have a big project going on.
I agree!
Old 14-08-2018, 11:27   #585

RAN is good, they sailed from Hawaii up to Alaska and early next year will sail down pur coast to California, supposed to meet up with them near channel islands if all works out. lifeoffthedeepend as well. Josie from afamilyafloat stopped by last month on break from Tahiti. good people!
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard