Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 16:36   #391

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Can't we All just get along and call them Rainbow Lobsters?

https://youtu.be/zYI3eTq97mw
When I arrived home last night, my BROWN lobster was waiting for me at the door. I said "Hi, little boy!" He replied "I'm not a boy, I'm a girl." Now I have a big problem. Transgender lobsters. I never saw THAT coming. (hahaha)
Old 13-07-2017, 10:36   #392

Why is it so necessary to try and sink a thread you don't like? Why don't people just not click on it? And, it's only getting worse.
Old 13-07-2017, 12:11   #393

Some of you maybe should review the forum rules;

Cruisers Forum Community Rules

- Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
Old 13-07-2017, 12:16   #394
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Some of you maybe should review the forum rules;

Cruisers Forum Community Rules

- Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.
Snake....maybe 11 posts gives you a good understanding for the Culture and posting style on Cruising Forum, but it took me about a few hundred to get the feeling and humor that takes place here on a daily basis.

Stick around...you will get it once you become familiar with some of the post addicts and how the fun works.

Cheers
Old 13-07-2017, 12:42   #395

Boat: Diesel Duck 41 - In progress

I started a Vblog on YouTube about the building of my 41' Diesel Duck. It started as just a regular blog on blogger but then a few readers recommended doing some YouTube videos.

I love, love, love building shows and very much miss the days of New Yankee Workshop and the like. So my hope was to create something on the stuff I like to watch. I like checking out peoples shops and tools, I like the nitty gritty of how things go together.

I've always liked building stuff and after I created my first video I found that I enjoyed "building" a video. The editing, although very, basic was quite fun for me. My channel is tiny and sometimes is hard to even find with the search function. However I'm going to keep making them as long as I enjoy creating them.

I have no illusions of becoming internet famous or rich from YouTube. There are no hot chics in bikini's or exotic locales. Just a complete novice trying to build a boat to achieve a dream on the water. Something like that is interesting to me.

The Delos crew and the like do their thing and are being successful at it, I'm happy for them. I'll do my thing, have fun with it, and if other people like it or better yet, it inspires them to live out their own dreams, all the better.

My take is that I'm happy for other peoples success. They were willing to take the risks and put in the effort to achieve something they wanted. If I don't like it, I won't watch it. After all, it's YouTube, it's free. These folks attempt to provide me with free entertainment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 13-07-2017, 13:32   #396

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

I think it is time to start a Patreon account and quit work.
Scott
Old 13-07-2017, 14:37   #397
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2640 View Post
I started a Vblog on YouTube about the building of my 41' Diesel Duck. It started as just a regular blog on blogger but then a few readers recommended doing some YouTube videos.

I love, love, love building shows and very much miss the days of New Yankee Workshop and the like. So my hope was to create something on the stuff I like to watch. I like checking out peoples shops and tools, I like the nitty gritty of how things go together.

I've always liked building stuff and after I created my first video I found that I enjoyed "building" a video. The editing, although very, basic was quite fun for me. My channel is tiny and sometimes is hard to even find with the search function. However I'm going to keep making them as long as I enjoy creating them.

I have no illusions of becoming internet famous or rich from YouTube. There are no hot chics in bikini's or exotic locales. Just a complete novice trying to build a boat to achieve a dream on the water. Something like that is interesting to me.

The Delos crew and the like do their thing and are being successful at it, I'm happy for them. I'll do my thing, have fun with it, and if other people like it or better yet, it inspires them to live out their own dreams, all the better.

My take is that I'm happy for other peoples success. They were willing to take the risks and put in the effort to achieve something they wanted. If I don't like it, I won't watch it. After all, it's YouTube, it's free. These folks attempt to provide me with free entertainment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Hi Scott.... That makes perfect sense to me for doing what you enjoy.

I meet most of the new Duck builds here in Subic at SBYC where they finally get to enjoy their boat outside of China.

Hope we meet!
Old 14-07-2017, 07:45   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No. Just my opinion. However, and since you mentioned it, I come from the old school. Pre Internet. In those days, people supported people in need. That's it. UNICEF, Feed the Children, etc. Nothing wrong with that. The disabled. The homeless. The hungry. Whatever. Yet today, people seem to be nuts (again, my opinion).

Had a friend of mine approached me 30 years ago and said something like "Hey bro, I have a cool business idea. Let's take home movies every week, and then ask people -- in fact, strangers -- to pay us money for them. Cool idea, yes?"

I would have replied, and still would reply, "Are you nuts? Who would give money to strangers for home movies? Especially when the people making the movies are not homeless, and have plenty of money? Are you crazy? Nobody would do that."

Times have changed. Interesting. I'll keep my money in my pocket. That's just me.

Clyde,

A generation of social justice warriors!
"Our goals is like... peace man, we want everyone to do their thing without judgement man..." (even if it's rude, hypocritical, offensive, stupid and self-centered, or just plain ****ing nuts). My kids hit me with this ******** all the time. Too good to even be parented. Google has all the answers, so by proxy, so do they. Zero experience about the way the world works. Quite hypocritical to tell us how we're "being," when their suggestion is all-intensive "inclusion". Poppycock and bull-butter.
They're just like anyone else that thinks they have all the answers. Being self-entitled becomes directly style-over-substance, which is why Vagabond works for them. I thought (she) was a simpy metaphysical-equals-******** narcissist in the first ten minutes of watching her: clicked off fairly quickly.
Their society is a cult, and all others are wrong... same ****, different day.

Hang tough to your principals, and I'll keep my money in my pocket too. When they have a war, and lay down their arms, they will be in for a shock when the enemy doesn't stop coming.
Purely self-entitled.

Bill
Old 14-07-2017, 08:45   #399

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

"Life is like sailing" has a series just getting started, misnamed IMHO, called "Cruising Canada's North Coast" that I am enjoying. Really should be cruising B.C.'s North Coast. Again, IMHO. Done by an artist and the photography is excellent.

Old 14-07-2017, 09:29   #400

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Clyde,

"Our goals is like... peace man, we want everyone to do their thing without judgement man..." (even if it's rude, hypocritical, offensive, stupid and self-centered, or just plain ****ing nuts). My kids hit me with this ******** all the time. Too good to even be parented. Google has all the answers, so by proxy, so do they. Zero experience about the way the world works. Quite hypocritical to tell us how we're "being," when their suggestion is all-intensive "inclusion". Poppycock and bull-butter.
They're just like anyone else that thinks they have all the answers. Being self-entitled becomes directly style-over-substance, which is why Vagabond works for them. I thought (she) was a simpy metaphysical-equals-******** narcissist in the first ten minutes of watching her: clicked off fairly quickly.

Hang tough to your principals, and I'll keep my money in my pocket too. When they have a war, and lay down their arms, they will be in for a shock when the enemy doesn't stop coming.
Purely self-entitled.

Bill

Of course most of these youtube sailors and documentary makers are in their mid-late 20s and 30s. They are millennials raise by baby boomers. This where the narcissism and self entitlement comes from.

Now take gen z, who currently are too young really to sailing the world. These were/are being raised by gen x. They are totally different in their outlook. Much more cautious, more likely to settle down, more likely to value a job any job.

Either way, what I'm trying to say is that each is a creation of generation that raised them.
Old 16-07-2017, 05:05   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Clyde,

Purely self-entitled.

Bill
Bill, great post. I'm in complete agreement. It's exploding. Look for the new thread here titled "Hungry at sea". I replied on Page 3. You'll get my drift, yet not my driftwood.

Clyde at Me Port
Old 18-07-2017, 14:29   #402

Hi,
Many of these people started with a relatively low budget or with a big loan. Youtube and Patreon together have changed their games. It is easy to check how much funds these people are raising per video by visiting their Patreon pages. However, with 'fame' comes all sorts of other means of making money.

There is a lot that one can do with little money and a bit of courage and ingenuity, and there are lots of examples of people who live an interesting and free cruising life with limited budget. The most interesting sailors that I've met are in this group.

Home - HitTheDekk
Old 18-07-2017, 15:13   #403

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorys6601 View Post
I think it is time to start a Patreon account and quit work.
Scott
It really is that simple! /s

I am curious as to what percentage ever make a livable income. Only the top two gross over 30,000 year I think. Also.....how many hours/week do they spend on their efforts.

Would not be surprised if only Delos and Vag are making more than minimum wage for their work.

I think all the boating channels are just fantastic. I look upon it as education as much as entertainment. If their product really shines, they can even make a buck or two. The odds are probably pretty long though.
Old 19-07-2017, 01:40   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I am curious as to what percentage ever make a livable income.
Yup, that's an interesting question. However, it's growing. Landlubbers (folks that know NOTHING about sailing) are jumping in. It's the latest craze, and why not? Today's Internet / mobile-phone generation humans have basically forgotten how to speak or socialize, and have no real-life friends. Thus, they are dying to throw away $5.00 per home movie so that strangers on some boat far far away will say "Thank you so much, we love you, and your money, our dear stupid friend."

Quote:
Only the top two gross over 30,000 year I think.
It's easy to investigate. No need to guess.

[QOUTE] Also.....how many hours/week do they spend on their efforts. [/QUOTE]

Not many! Look, I'll give you a camera, and 7 days to be around a boat. Yes, that's 168 hours. Now, when I see you again in 1 week, show me the 15 minutes of home movies that you shot and edited. Can you shoot 15 minutes of home movies, with a quick edit, in 168 hours? I hope so. It's sooooooo funny! Don't forget, all you'll be filming is cooking hamburgers, drinking beer, running around a beach, Bambi taking off her bikini top, diving off the boat, and spewing out nonsense in the main salon. Pretty simple!

Quote:
Would not be surprised if only Delos and Vag are making more than minimum wage for their work.
Again, do some investigation. It's easy. Visit anyone's Patreon page. The 2017 US minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. Times 40, equals $290 per week. Most all are making that wage, or more. Some, MUCH more.

In regard to the 'helpers' (i.e., Internet funder pals), circus great P.T. Barnum once said "Don't worry ... there's a sucker born every minute!"
Old 19-07-2017, 01:50   #405

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yup, that's an interesting question. However, it's growing. Landlubbers (folks that know NOTHING about sailing) are jumping in. It's the latest craze, and why not? Today's Internet / mobile-phone generation humans have basically forgotten how to speak or socialize, and have no real-life friends. Thus, they are dying to throw away $5.00 per home movie so that strangers on some boat far far away will say "Thank you so much, we love you, and your money, our dear stupid friend."
If they are spending $5 on what you call a 'home-movie' then what are spending on the shows with more professional content. Those that are more travel adventure and documentaries, or howtos.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard