Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 19:11   #256

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Perhaps some "how NOT to" as well
Haha I am pretty adept at starring in my own cockup scenarios. This cruising life sure demands a steep learning curve .
Old 09-05-2017, 09:23   #257

Boat: Hunter 340 34'

Mads rules. Not much of a sailing channel, but his outstanding work on the boat is a boon for DIY types. Happy to be a Patreon for him.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35   #258

Boat: J/34c, B&B Spindrift 11N

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Youtube is more than just Home movies, Home movies have moved to Facebook where just you and your 25 friends & family will watch.

Youtube is where people go to get a review on a new TV, camera, laptop,
Youtube is where to find howto change to sink faucet, hang a new door, tile the floor, redo the roof.
Youtube is howto pave the driveway of your home. ....
Just wanted to add that Youtube is where you can see full length documentaries and films as well as live broadcasts and full length replays of esoteric sports like the Volvo Ocean Race.

Nowadays my viewing is about 80% youtube and 20% amazon prime.

I regularly follow:
Delos
SailLife
La Vagabond
Gone With the Wynns

Less regularly follow
MJSailing
WickedSalty
Sailing Ran

-Hugh
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10   #259

Boat: Hunter 340 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roam View Post
Just wanted to add that Youtube is where you can see full length documentaries and films as well as live broadcasts and full length replays of esoteric sports like the Volvo Ocean Race.

Nowadays my viewing is about 80% youtube and 20% amazon prime.

I regularly follow:
Delos
SailLife
La Vagabond
Gone With the Wynns

Less regularly follow
MJSailing
WickedSalty
Sailing Ran

-Hugh
Totes agree with this list, follow them all. Some others I like:

Sailing Nervous captures a nice, cautious approach, as the name implies.

Adventure Adrift is a nice couple, tell a good story and put up quality vids.

A few that haven't been mentioned yet, don't have a lot of followers, and not flashy (solo sailors certainly aren't making "I can quit my day job" money)

Life is Like Sailing (When he gets together with Mads from Sail Life is a fun crossover 6 or 7 episodes)

SY Zero

Christian Williams Not a lot of linear videos, but his trip from CA to Hawaii and back is awesome, watched it a few times. He's promoting a book, not his YT channel. I bet most of you have seen it. His narration is awesome.

And what about the folks that didn't make it, or have to re-think their strategies? You'll have to watch their stuff, don't want to spoil it for you.

SailingSaltyMermaid
Bums On A Boat

Overall, I watch to learn and to be entertained. I have no problem chipping in a couple bucks (limit, 2 bucks to any channel, you can specify a limit to any channel, despite their 'contribution recommendations'. I don't need a sticker). I would hope that should I become a content creator, someone will send me a buck a month because I entertain them, and they appreciate my work.

As for LaVaga, I hope they survive the fame part and get back to sailing. I know Riley has to be going out of his damned mind not sailing, waiting for roadblocks and paperwork to be complete. Frankly, I don't like Cat videos as much as the mono hull vids, but I like them, so whatever.

Okay, back to boat shopping.

Old 09-05-2017, 14:56   #260

Boat: J/34c, B&B Spindrift 11N

I should have also listed Keep Turning Left in the regular viewing column.

I'll second the recommendation for Christian Williams videos.

I haven't done Patreon but I have made one time donations to a few of the regulars I watch.

Delos was my introduction to sailing vlogs and my reaction was who are these trust fund babies partying their butts off and having the nerve to ask for donations! I've come to appreciate how much work goes into making those videos and the work required to keep their boat shipshape. That they were also working part time or taking other jobs definitely changed my opinion of them.

-Hugh
Old 09-05-2017, 17:46   #261

A few weeks ago, I was having lunch at Trellis Bay waiting for my flight out of the BVI's. I saw these two rascals bringing their waste to the dumpster. I yelled out, "Hey, RAN Sailing". We chatted for a little bit. Truly some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Totally made my day meeting then.
How many others have met some of the You Tube Cruisers and how was you're experience?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAN Sailing.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	147416
Old 11-05-2017, 16:16   #262

Boat: Liberty 458

We'd rather give a few bucks direct to youtubers. Better them than the middle men adding no value. We watch those mentioned and also the wet way home.

We havent watched traditional tv or cable for more than a decade. Youtube, netflix, amazon, bbc and uk channel 4.

We dont watch sport so dont have to pay thru the nose.

The patreon model is little different to when artists were funded be patrons.
Old 11-05-2017, 17:01   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Sailing Uma is really good as well, no pimping the wife out, just sailing and adventuring (and lots of re-engineering).
This is my favorite. Very nice young couple who met at architecture school. Their story begins with no experience and just an idea. Sometimes they get a little long on some of the adventures, especially when they went to her home country of Haiti (guess that would be expected). But most of the videos are well done and mix in adventures, sailing, learning and solving issues on an old, very inexpensive boat. Novel ideas on problem solving. If you haven't watched it, it's worth binge watching from the beginning to get the whole story.
Old 11-05-2017, 17:34   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
This is my favorite. Very nice young couple who met at architecture school. Their story begins with no experience and just an idea. Sometimes they get a little long on some of the adventures, especially when they went to her home country of Haiti (guess that would be expected). But most of the videos are well done and mix in adventures, sailing, learning and solving issues on an old, very inexpensive boat. Novel ideas on problem solving. If you haven't watched it, it's worth binge watching from the beginning to get the whole story.

I love the fact that they always sail even if becalmed and only use the "auxiliary" for its intended purpose. Hopefully they will inspire more people to not rely so much on a crutch of a motor. Lots of respect for these two.

I started watching Abandon Comfort. Might get interesting
Old 11-05-2017, 18:56   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
I started watching Abandon Comfort. Might get interesting
Yes, I've watched the three episodes, but it's hard to get into them when they're new series.

I accidentally found Sailing Uma when I stumbled upon the episode where he rode out the hurricane. When I saw that (like episode 47 or something), I went back to the beginning and binged watched it

Another new one is Jessica and Ryan's Adventure. This is another young couple saving, training and searching for a boat.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
We'd rather give a few bucks direct to youtubers.
We'd rather keep our money in our wallet, and let YouTubers upload whatever videos they wish to upload. Then, we watch their home movies for free, which is the natural agenda for watching Youtube videos, and keep our money. It's a great thing. We love it.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:57   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
We'd rather keep our money in our wallet, and let YouTubers upload whatever videos they wish to upload. Then, we watch their home movies for free, which is the natural agenda for watching Youtube videos, and keep our money. It's a great thing. We love it.
I bet you wonder why you never get invited to parties.
Old 13-05-2017, 06:58   #268
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I fall in line with those that don't follow blogs or pay for viewing much of anything and this sure doesn't have any result in my potential for party invites. On the other hand I'm not against those that post videos or promote themselves on youtube. I do use a number of instructional videos on youtube and sometimes some musical performances, but none of this costs. Sailing just doesn't work for me as viewed on the laptop!
Old 13-05-2017, 07:38   #269

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I fall in line with those that don't follow blogs or pay for viewing much of anything and this sure doesn't have any result in my potential for party invites. Sailing just doesn't work for me as viewed on the laptop!
The difference is you're not trying to shame anyone for supporting a YouTuber. You're not calling me an idiot because I give a family $5 a week to help them do what I can't right now. Besides that, I've learned a lot of things from watching these videos that I've applied to my own boat, that I'd never have known about.

These are the same young people the community keeps telling to Go Now! and not wait till you're 55 and financially able like I'll be when I go. They want em to go now, but they don't expect them to be able to pay for it, then they bitch if they find a creative way to pay for it. It's fine that you don't agree with the method, but at least you don't insult people who do.

But for someone to get so bent out of shape over something that has no effect on them, that they spend 20 pages repeating their insults, seems like they have bigger problems than me wasting my own money.
Old 13-05-2017, 09:03   #270

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Since we weren't cruising, instead rebuilding a boat, I thought there was nothing of interest to shoot.

Matt
Hey Matt & Jess,

We watch every episode with great interest due to the fact you are rebuilding. We have found you to be creative yet solid in your decisions and methods. We don't always agree with your decisions but you explain why you do it, i.e. not having height adjustment on your chair for the chart table, and that is why we say the decisions are solid.

We appreciate the fact you two seem to be even tempered, well mannered and loyal to your project. Many would have abandoned and/or sold quite a while ago.

We also appreciate you have maintained a professional mindset with your videos. By that we mean both of you appear to have great respect for Jess as a woman and have not resorted to a T&A format. Not saying Jess isn't a beautiful woman, she obviously is, buy you have not exploited her for the sake of a few bucks. That is to be greatly admired.

Yes, we are patrons and will continue to be. We initially gave for both the entertainment aspect and to help out genuine folks who are dumping their money and their soles into their project. Now I feel we are donating for the education aspect! We are learning by watching!

Once you start sailing we realize you will start in the Carib and will continue to follow. However, we are really looking forward to the northern latitudes, that is going to be something to watch!

Tags
liveaboard