Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 15:01   #196

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Did you pull at their beards (not Karin's off course) because Portclydeme tells us they're fake.
Not fake at all they are a real crew pulling down 300k plus per year.Good business people.They just dont happen to have anything I want to buy.
Old 21-04-2017, 15:12   #197

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menlim3 View Post
Sailing Uma has an electric powered motor that is very impressive in my humble opinion. He installed it himself.
The work he put in to install that was mad-crazy impressive. The motor itself isn't though. They have a bank of four batteries to make up 48v so only have around 75ish usable amps. They were able to run the motor and achieve speeds of 3knts for 20mins at a cost of 5% of the battery capacity, that's not great range.

Add to that, the batteries together will weight as much an average diesel, and more will be needed. They talked of a adding another 4.

Still impressive work, but I can't help but thing that they should go the way of trains, and use a diesel gen, with solar power as a top up.
Old 21-04-2017, 17:05   #198

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
a cost of 5% of the battery capacity, that's not great range.
They also said they're not in a hurry to get anywhere. Not that they couldn't be in a position to need to get somewhere fast...
Old 21-04-2017, 17:25   #199

Yachtrubyrose.com and the Wynns. The Australian couple is cool and also Svdeleos. I will check out the ones mentioned by others as well.
Old 21-04-2017, 17:57   #200

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
They also said they're not in a hurry to get anywhere. Not that they couldn't be in a position to need to get somewhere fast...
He rode out a near hit from a hurricane at anchor..............no I don't think they are in a hurry, the philosophy of "it's a SAIL boat" is taken to a new level, also they understand the dangers and plan for it them, when he pulled out the giant mantus anchor and started assembling it before the hurricane.........I was impressed
Old 21-04-2017, 18:11   #201

Very Sad, to be concerned about how other people make their money
Especially when it is 100 % legal,
Then have an active campaign to ruin other people's money flow
Old 21-04-2017, 18:18   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Very Sad, to be concerned about how other people make their money
Especially when it is 100 % legal,
Then have an active campaign to ruin other people's money flow
You have your opinion, and other people have their opinion. Don't forget the questions in the OP's first post in this thread (Page 1, Post 1).
Old 22-04-2017, 01:56   #203

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Yachtrubyrose.com and the Wynns. The Australian couple is cool and also Svdeleos. I will check out the ones mentioned by others as well.
The Wynns are very different kettle of fish to some of the others (not all). They've been doing it years and years, and made some very professional videos and some TV work, and commercial clips.

Obviously they came to it with a massive RV following. It was amusing reading the comments when they converted to sailing. Typical salty sea dogs you get on Youtube and these forums saying they are irresponsible, that they are going to die blah blah blah, yet they've done just fine so far. Had the relevant training, had a little help, and have learnt some as they go. Never understand why there is so much negativity in the sailing community. I suppose PCM sums it up.

It interesting that all this thread seems to focus on is money. Why does that matter? I thought it was just supposed to be a discussion about the various channels, how we like them or don't, and which ones we watch.
Old 22-04-2017, 03:21   #204

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Isn't it rich that some people are against voluntarily contributing to someone producing a YouTube channel, calling those people "fake" etc. Yet I'd be willing to bet those same people complaining about YouTubers with patreon accounts also pay either a cable or satellite tv bill, to pay to watch people who are by definition fake.

I don't have cable, and don't miss it. I have certain channels on YouTube that I like and watch regularly, and I don't mind paying so that my chosen source of entertainment can continue.

I'd much rather see my dollars go to help Riley and Elayna pay for their new boat, than to have my dollars go to help some Hollywood actor buy their third multimillionaire dollar home.
Old 22-04-2017, 04:32   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
It interesting that all this thread seems to focus on is money. Why does that matter? I thought it was just supposed to be a discussion about the various channels, how we like them or don't, and which ones we watch.
Personally, I think "channels" is the wrong term. This is not TV. These are just people uploading videos to YouTube. As the OP stated in his first post on Page 1:

"I have been watching various youtube liveaboard videos for a few months. These series seem to constantly pop up for viewing:..."

I thought the OP had a logical question, as if wondering why a certain series of YouTube people "pop up". Thus, I answered with my opinion ... in detail. As have others. Just opinions. That's it. If people wish to pay for YouTube videos that are free to watch, then that's their choice. Personally, I don't like the feeling that I get from the people who are looking for money. It's like food. Some food just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Back on topic, I liked this guy "Sebastian" from the UK. His father passed away (possibly a heart attack in Greece), so Sebastian picked up the boat and first sailed solo from the Med to the Caribbean. Then sailed solo again from the Caribbean to the UK (3 free home movies for that trip). I like his relaxed character, and he has a cool British sense of humor. He seems like a good egg. He likes to pour himself "50/50" alcohol combinations while sailing solo across oceans.

Here's Part 1 of his solo Caribbean to UK passage. I also like the music he chose. During this solo passage he avoided the big storm in which four UK men were lost on the Cheeki Rafiki, a similar size boat.

Old 22-04-2017, 05:35   #206

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Personally, I think "channels" is the wrong term. This is not TV. These are just people uploading videos to YouTube.
Disagree at this point..... The Internet has/is and will change the broadcasting and entertainment landscape dramatically"...... we do have cable (not by choice..... comes with the condo maintenance) our average tv time is about 3-4 hrs/week and mostly news...... Generation X,Y,Z are not watching conventional tv channels anymore..... mikedefieslife is right .... these people are the producers, broadcasters, and stars of a new era of entertainment.....

So this is (or becoming) a business..... If there are no customers... there's no business. Followers/patreons interests make (or should make) a big impact on the YTers content strategy..... And again, I agree with mikedefieslife.... I prefer cruising YTers to get my entertainment dollars rather than Arnold Schwarzenegger....

Hot core of the discussion in sailing community is not content, is about authenticity (with a very thick glazing of jealousy)

- My cruising experience is more real....
- They are making $3k/month with just showing T&A on a sailboat.....
- They are begging .....
- They are making $3K/month.... I could have done it... better.... dam......
- They are fake..... And they fool 200K people...
- We are more real, more knowledgeable.... They are making 3K/month.... dam...

My fellow cruisers..... either you like it or not.... They are real.... They have about 1 million followers (combined) and some of the are paying.... Let's admit.... these guys did/doing it... well and making money ... legally... and both parts seem to happy with the exchange..... (whether you like it or not)

I believe this thread would serve better (to me at least) if CF'ers share their YT finds instead of lynching the popular ones......

My 2c again.... Thanks for reading.....

Tafa
Old 22-04-2017, 06:08   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
Disagree at this point..... The Internet has/is and will change the broadcasting and entertainment landscape dramatically"...... we do have cable (not by choice..... comes with the condo maintenance) our average tv time is about 3-4 hrs/week and mostly news...... Generation X,Y,Z are not watching conventional tv channels anymore..... mikedefieslife is right .... these people are the producers, broadcasters, and stars of a new era of entertainment.....

So this is (or becoming) a business..... If there are no customers... there's no business. Followers/patreons interests make (or should make) a big impact on the YTers content strategy..... And again, I agree with mikedefieslife.... I prefer cruising YTers to get my entertainment dollars rather than Arnold Schwarzenegger....

Hot core of the discussion in sailing community is not content, is about authenticity (with a very thick glazing of jealousy)

- My cruising experience is more real....
- They are making $3k/month with just showing T&A on a sailboat.....
- They are begging .....
- They are making $3K/month.... I could have done it... better.... dam......
- They are fake..... And they fool 200K people...
- We are more real, more knowledgeable.... They are making 3K/month.... dam...

My fellow cruisers..... either you like it or not.... They are real.... They have about 1 million followers (combined) and some of the are paying.... Let's admit.... these guys did/doing it... well and making money ... legally... and both parts seem to happy with the exchange..... (whether you like it or not)

I believe this thread would serve better (to me at least) if CF'ers share their YT finds instead of lynching the popular ones......

My 2c again.... Thanks for reading.....

Tafa
I get your points. I don't really agree, but I understand. However, I don't understand when you state "my entertainment dollars". YouTube is free. You aside, this whole "X, Y, Z" generation seems "confused", at least to me. As you may have noticed, I've offered some sailors to watch on YouTube that weren't "looking for money". Folks that just love sailing, filming it (home movie), and sharing their passages for free; i.e., Alex Rust, Sebastian, and this guy from Boston. SV Slick (YouTube: Slick52921). He and his friend are super funny, and they love BEER! He circumnavigated, filmed it, and uploaded the movies. A new sailor will learn much more from his videos than from the people looking for money. It's real. It's not a "schmucky" business. The money seekers leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Here's part one of the Pacific crossing - Panama to Galapagos. This guy knows how to sail. He's now back in Boston. Hope you enjoy.

Old 22-04-2017, 06:34   #208

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Just a quick little peek into the the behind the scene math- While Patreon shows that we are at $250 per video, due to limits set by the donors, the real average for 3 videos a month is around $150. I'd assume the math works about the same for the higher income channels.

When we started cruising, nobody was Youtubing their adventure. We were motivated by written blogs (Slapdash, Bumfuzzle) just as the groups before us were inspired by books. From our beginning my wife wrote about travels, not for any financial gain, but for our family, friends, and to let anyone else that stumbles onto our page know what it's really like "out there". We refused to have a "donate" button on the site since the effort we put in wasn't much.

For some odd reason, when we returned to the US, the Daily Mail picked-up on our story from our site and posted an article on us. Matt and Jessica Johnson quit their jobs, sold their belongings and travel the world on a boat | Daily Mail Online This started a whirl wind of news articles and interviews (NYT, Today Show, Austrialian news, in China, Russia, France etc) all around the world. Again, we have no idea why people could relate in such different cultures, but whatever was the cause, we went viral.

We thought there couldn't have been better timing. We're rebuilding a boat in Florida, and with our new found "fame", sponsorship and swag was on it's way. We contacted most marine suppliers, (Navico, Raymarine, Harken etc) and got no response. That's when we found out about the new Youtube stars stealing all the thunder

Since we weren't cruising, instead rebuilding a boat, I thought there was nothing of interest to shoot. It wasn't until a year and a half later, with broken spirit from the rebuild and broken bank account... again from the rebuild, and still needing to outfit the boat, we decided now was the time to learn the vlog trade.

We were just looking to monetizes the videos on the per view ad revenue alone. Our first video came out and we were contacted by individuals that wanted to send a little something extra to help the rebuild. These people were used to the Patreon set-up, thanks to those that have come before us, so we decided to add that.

Even for our lowly videos, It truly does take at least 1 hour for each 1 minute of video to edit (down from 3 to 1). I'm not going to pretend that justifies a donation. Most people donate because they are ex cruisers and want to relive the lifestyle, or people stuck in the office not able to live their dream, or people getting ready to cruise finding inspiration and motivation from the 15 minutes of video we posted. It's truly appreciated from us... whatever the reason.

Matt
Old 22-04-2017, 06:59   #209

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Don't get me wrong..... I personally prefer the channels which have less monetization focus and I really enjoy watching Alex Rust (didn't know that he passed and do not follow the most popular ones like delos, wynns etc.... But I am not against them either.... They are making 1 million people happy.... If 1 million viewers like them.... Who am I to judge?

I was trying to say that "jealousy glazed, hard criticism is pointless" .... if 200K people is following and donating to a YT publisher it's great.... Maybe it's not the critics' taste but it's still fine..... The discussion would be much more effective if we could minimize the beating of the channels we don't like....

On a side note..... Even if the viewer doesn't pay... every view count on YT has entertainment dollars (or cents) attached (like free tv channels on air) advertising, visibility, reach, seo advantages etc.... So the viewer choice is (or should be) important for the broadcaster...... It's not like... "If you build it... they will come" .... You have to build it good...

Cheers,

Tafa
Old 22-04-2017, 07:07   #210

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I get your points. I don't really agree, but I understand. However, I don't understand when you state "my entertainment dollars". YouTube is free. You aside, this whole "X, Y, Z" generation seems "confused", at least to me. As you may have noticed, I've offered some sailors to watch on YouTube that weren't "looking for money". Folks that just love sailing, filming it (home movie), and sharing their passages for free; i.e., Alex Rust, Sebastian, and this guy from Boston. SV Slick (YouTube: Slick52921). He and his friend are super funny, and they love BEER! He circumnavigated, filmed it, and uploaded the movies. A new sailor will learn much more from his videos than from the people looking for money. It's real. It's not a "schmucky" business. The money seekers leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Here's part one of the Pacific crossing - Panama to Galapagos. This guy knows how to sail. He's now back in Boston. Hope you enjoy.

Name me one successful professional sailing vlogger that does not distribute the majority of their content for free on YouTube. Patreons get the content earlier and/or maybe more extended cuts.

Also why do you state that the core crew of sv Delos, la vagabonde, MJ Sailing, Follow the Boat, Distant Shores, etc don't love sailing? Most of these have sailed 10,000+ KM and you don't do that if you don't love, or have fallen in love with sailing.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard