Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 19:33   #151

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I like Sailing Uma and the Delos gang........
Old 17-04-2017, 03:25   #152

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
hahaha ... I understand. However, I've been fairly clear. I think of it all like this:

1) It's complete nonsense, and I will never pay!
2) If it continues, I will join and take the money!

Pretty simple. I don't have to actually like something to understand the money game.
I meant your numbers are off because you don't understand how patreon works (it's now been explained a couple of time). Nevermind. Waiting for you to produce a video that earns you money on youtube.
Old 17-04-2017, 04:30   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
I meant your numbers are off because you don't understand how patreon works (it's now been explained a couple of time). Nevermind. Waiting for you to produce a video that earns you money on youtube.
I'll say it again. I know how Patreon works. What I will NEVER understand is why anyone would pay their hard-earned money to "strangers" to watch their "YouTube" home movies. Do you remember what "YouTube" is? It's a SHARING service. Sharing means FREE.

YouTube is an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California. SHARING means FREE!!

A video hosting service allows individual end users to upload and share personal, business, or royalty-free videos -- FOR FREE!!!!!

If people want to PAY for YouTube home movies, have fun paying! I'm "old school" Internet. I will not pay! I don't support a "new-age" nonsense Internet business model that states "Please give us your money, because we upload FREE home movies and we need $50K of new cameras per month due to salt-air corrosion!"

If I "join" the Patreon shell ($$$) game, then YES, you can give me ALL your money. Thanks!

Cheers.
Old 17-04-2017, 04:44   #154

Quote:
I'll say it again. I know how Patreon works. What I will NEVER understand is why anyone would pay their hard-earned money to "strangers" to watch their "YouTube" home movies. Do you remember what "YouTube" is? It's a SHARING service. Sharing means FREE.

YouTube is an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California. SHARING means FREE!!

A video hosting service allows individual end users to upload and share personal, business, or royalty-free videos -- FOR FREE!!!!!

If people want to PAY for YouTube home movies, have fun paying! I'm "old school" Internet. I will not pay! I don't support a "new-age" nonsense Internet business model that states "Please give us your money, because we upload FREE home movies and we need $50K of new cameras per month due to salt-air corrosion!"

If I "join" the Patreon shell ($$$) game, then YES, you can give me ALL your money. Thanks!

Cheers.
Can you please elaborate? Edit: just kidding - I think everyone already knows your position. You writing in capitals or the location of YT's HQ does not make any difference to the truth. People use YT as a medium to distribute video content and earn money.
Old 17-04-2017, 04:53   #155

Quote:
Can you please elaborate?
Hahahaha! No, I'd rather keep it short!

By the way, have you ever watched the FREE Alex Rust (R.I.P.) SV Bubbles videos, or the SV Slick videos? They are great. Oh, and Delos actually met Alex Rust in French Polynesia, long before he died in India post circumnavigation. Alex Rust was a very cool guy. I wonder what he'd be thinking about the "Patreon" money-hungry sailors if he were still alive.

Cheers.

Here's Alex. It's FREE. The spirit of the Internet. Enjoy.

Old 17-04-2017, 05:00   #156

Quote:
Hahahaha! No, I'd rather keep it short!

By the way, have you ever watched the FREE Alex Rust (R.I.P.) SV Bubbles videos, or the SV Slick videos? They are great. Oh, and Delos actually met Alex Rust in French Polynesia, long before he died in India post circumnavigation. Alex Rust was a very cool guy. I wonder what he'd be thinking about the "Patreon" money-hungry sailors if he were still alive.

Cheers.

Here's Alex. It's FREE. The spirit of the Internet. Enjoy.

Haven't had time to watch the Bubbles video yet.
Old 17-04-2017, 05:16   #157

I wonder if the paetron thing is like starting a blog to get rich was 10yrs ago.

A few people did great (a few are still milking it for a few dollars) but most never made a dime and starting a new one (for profit) now it's next to impossible as the field is too crowded. The ones who did do well had very high quality sites with engaging writing styles and popular subjects.

I expect that the videos are a similar situation. The big difference is as the internet gets faster and more people become accustomed to watching videos over the internet it became viable to do video blogs. 10-15yrs ago, for most, videos were a pain to download, so people simply wouldn't.

Might be wrong but the math suggests we can't all make millions while doing little to no work.
Old 17-04-2017, 05:31   #158

Quote:
Haven't had time to watch the Bubbles video yet.
Please do watch Alex Rust and SV Bubbles. I won't mention any names, but there are "money-hungry" Patreon sailors who WISH they could have his "true spirit". They will NEVER be Alex Rust, although they try to "come off" as if they ARE like him. They are pretenders. Thus, that was one of my MAJOR points, and why I mentioned Alex Rust in my first post on Page 1 of this thread. They try to steal Alex Rust's "character", beards and all, but they are actually just people looking for retirement money. I call it a "bit of a con". I can see right through them. I could go on and on, but I won't. It's just always good to know "HISTORY", and who these Patreon sailors try to imitate -- as they ask for your money.

Cheers.
Old 17-04-2017, 06:22   #159

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

First of all.... As long as YouTubing help people to quit land-lubbing and go cruising, I don't care if they sail with an ample budget and shiny bells and whistles.... Good for them...... Every cruiser is trying to utilize the land obtained knowledge to make some extra bucks.... Some are AV professionals and shooting amazing HQ videos, attracting more followers and Patr(e)ons... and nothing wrong with that either

I wouldn't mind watching Delos, Vagabond and similar channels for fun.... But their reality is way different than ours..... When it comes to learning from YouTuber cruisers.... Following the ones which are similar to our mindset and budget offers a better value of time for us.

One of my latest finds is Sailing Baby Blue .... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7...nEiXDYw/videos

Their style and budget seem like closer to our.... Not the best audio quality or details.... neither the frequency.... But still, we feel like if we were there, our experience would be similar to theirs.... I think that what it counts and very subjective (varies by each viewer/follower)

Cheers,

Tafa
Old 17-04-2017, 08:20   #160

Quote:
Please do watch Alex Rust and SV Bubbles. I won't mention any names, but there are "money-hungry" Patreon sailors who WISH they could have his "true spirit". They will NEVER be Alex Rust, although they try to "come off" as if they ARE like him. They are pretenders. Thus, that was one of my MAJOR points, and why I mentioned Alex Rust in my first post on Page 1 of this thread. They try to steal Alex Rust's "character", beards and all, but they are actually just people looking for retirement money. I call it a "bit of a con". I can see right through them. I could go on and on, but I won't. It's just always good to know "HISTORY", and who these Patreon sailors try to imitate -- as they ask for your money.

Cheers.
Alex Rust sounds like a very interesting guy. I will have to check out his YouTube videos. I am sorry he passed away so young. They are trying to complete his documentary:

http://nannycay.com/chasing-bubbles-...-around-world/

For sure I will donate towards that project before I donate money to La Vagabonde and their ilk.
Old 17-04-2017, 12:24   #161

Have to agree about Sailing Doodles...had to unsubscribe but one that I have found to be really enjoyable is Sailing Story.
Old 17-04-2017, 16:03   #162
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Well said Dale.

PortClydeMe's treatment of people is not in any way indicative of how Cruisers Treat other Cruisers. He should be ashamed of himself for the nastiness he has spewed in this thread with the personal attacks and insults. It's one thing to not care for someone's product (material or Video) but to slander people...it's below the norms of decency and needs to be called out!
Old 17-04-2017, 16:12   #163
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Do you realize you are offensive?
Quote:
To answer your question, the answer is "Yes!".
As I said before, to KNOW you are being offensive is the very definition of an internet troll and the Moderators should act accordingly.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional ...
Internet troll - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Old 17-04-2017, 16:17   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
As I said before, to KNOW you are being offensive is the very definition of an internet troll and the Moderators should act accordingly.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional ...
Internet troll - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Oh, come on man. That's NOT what I meant. I'm just pointing out my opinion. If you don't agree, that's cool. I meant 'Yes, I will tell people what I think to their faces." That question. You didn't understand. That's OK.

Anyway, I'm now backing out of this thread so that the Patreon Club doesn't get too upset. No need for moderator attacks.
Old 17-04-2017, 16:24   #165
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Do you realize you are offensive? I don't watch sailing blogs, but I have spoken to Brian on Delos as we were taking similar paths, from what I can tell he is a very decent guy and was helpful and generous with sharing tracks and way points with me. Calling him or other "fake idiots" and " money hungry idiots" is abusive and assulting, would you say that to his or the others faces?
Take Brian as an example, he had the courage to take the path less travelled, he really wasnt in the best financial postion to do what he has done ,yet he had the courage to do what so many others want to, but don't. Then out of nessacity he's created a product to fund his cruising, a product that people want, a product that helps them dream a product that many enjoy and look forward to......I applaud him, a real winner, the world needs more of them.
You my friend are the opposite, your envious and jealous remarks are what we need less of, they add no value to the world. Pulling people down dosent lift you up. People that strive, create, make, produce, take chances, are different and have a go in life they are the people that deserve encouragement, and if that comes in the form of a donation then why not.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well said Dale. PortClydeMe's particular vendetta here is built on incorrect assumptions, jealousy and venom. He's just repeating himself now ... maybe time to give it a rest.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard