Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 10:17   #121

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I noticed this today.

A disgruntled La Vagabonde "applicant"

It's gonna be fun to watch where this "Patreon money" game goes over the next few years.

Old 16-04-2017, 10:21   #122

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No. You're incorrect. Just dig a little deeper.

WhiteSpotPirates (aka, Ms. Deutschland): 299 patrons - $1,013.00 per upload - if 4 uploads per month = $48,000.00 per year

Sailing Doodles: 235 patrons - $757.00 per upload - 4 per month = $36,336.00 per year

Rick Moore (aka, Canada Cat): 89 patrons (he began this year!) - $1,213.00 per upload - 4 per month = $58,224.00 per year

I could go on and on. It's exploding. We'll see where it ends up. Oh, and by the way, please go back to my first post on page one. Some of these people might NOT have the number of "anonymous" patrons (i.e., strangers) that their Patreon account states. They might be paying themselves to make it look good. That's what I would do. It costs nothing.
Yeah, the math does not quite work out like that. If you're interested google it or ask someone.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:23   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Yeah, the math does not quite work out like that. If you're interested google it or ask someone.
I know how it works. I was making a different point. Actually, two points.

Ps; the Rick Moore money is incorrect. I was reading quickly. It's currently "per month", not "per upload". It varies per "Patreon money seeker". (hahaha)
Old 16-04-2017, 10:26   #124

Quote:
I know how it works. I was making a different point. Actually, two points.

Ps; the Rick Moore money is incorrect. I was reading quickly. It's currently "per month", not "per upload". It varies per "Patreon money seeker". (hahaha)
Aha. But your posts here do paint a rather different picture. (hahaha)
Old 16-04-2017, 10:29   #125

But yeah, fundamentally they all make money by creating value for viewers in a perfectly competitive market. And those who wish to view the videos for free can also do so. I'd say this is definitely a win-win-win.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:33   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Aha. But your posts here do paint a rather different picture. (hahaha)
hahaha ... I understand. However, I've been fairly clear. I think of it all like this:

1) It's complete nonsense, and I will never pay!
2) If it continues, I will join and take the money!

Pretty simple. I don't have to actually like something to understand the money game.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:39   #127

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
I noticed this today.

A disgruntled La Vagabonde "applicant"

It's gonna be fun to watch where this "Patreon money" game goes over the next few years.

Couple things.

1. SLV never claimed to have watched the fellas video. They just said his application was unsuccessful.

2. 1000 applications x 6 minutes is like 25 days of straight video watching. Impossible to see them all.

Also if is were as easy as sign up and watch the money roll why are you not doing it right now? What's stopping you from $500,000 a year while sailing around the world living the dream we all want?
Old 16-04-2017, 10:46   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Couple things.
Also if is were as easy as sign up and watch the money roll why are you not doing it right now? What's stopping you from $500,000 a year while sailing around the world living the dream we all want?
I understand your questions. I'm busy doing other things at the moment. I don't have time to be out in the surf right now. And, I don't need the "Patreon money game" money. With that said, I'll keep watching. If it's still rolling when I'm in the surf, you can bet that I'll join the "take the extra money game". I'm in no rush.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:46   #129

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
No. You're incorrect. Just dig a little deeper.

WhiteSpotPirates (aka, Ms. Deutschland): 299 patrons - $1,013.00 per upload - if 4 uploads per month = $48,000.00 per year

Sailing Doodles: 235 patrons - $757.00 per upload - 4 per month = $36,336.00 per year

Rick Moore (aka, Canada Cat): 89 patrons (he began this year!) - $1,213.00 per upload - 4 per month = $58,224.00 per year

I could go on and on. It's exploding. We'll see where it ends up. Oh, and by the way, please go back to my first post on page one. Some of these people might NOT have the number of "anonymous" patrons (i.e., strangers) that their Patreon account states. They might be paying themselves to make it look good. That's what I would do. It costs nothing.
In terms of earnings, it doesn't work like that due to limits the Patrons put on. So if someone pledges £10 a video, you can't just go out make 100 videos for that month. You'll likely only get £10 from that Patron for that month.

Don't forget to include the cut that Patreon itself takes then add 29% tax (give or take a few percent depending on where they are based for tax purposes).
Old 16-04-2017, 10:49   #130

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
I understand your questions. I'm busy doing other things at the moment. I don't have time to be out in the surf right now. And, I don't need the "Patreon money game" money. With that said, I'll keep watching. If it's still rolling when I'm in the surf, you can bet that I'll join the "take the extra money game". I'm in no rush.

Too busy arguing with people on a message board.

I'll stop. Someone once said not to argue with certain type of people, because they will pull you down to their level and beat you with experience. That's clearly what happened here. So I'm admit defeat.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:58   #131

Quote:
Too busy arguing with people on a message board.

I'll stop. Someone once said not to argue with certain type of people, because they will pull you down to their level and beat you with experience. That's clearly what happened here. So I'm admit defeat.
You took it the wrong way. No need to be upset. I was joking with you a few posts back. No need to argue. I think this Patreon "game" is very interesting. I just don't need the money. As stated above, I'll take the money, should I decide some day that I want to. That said, I still find it amazing that people will give money to strangers on the Internet just to watch free YouTube videos.

Have a nice evening.
Old 16-04-2017, 11:14   #132

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Do you find it amazing people give money to charities to support people they've never met? Or why people pay too much for girl scout cookies? It's no different. They're not giving money to watch free videos. We know you understand this, you just like belittling people who you disagree with.

In my case, I chose not to give money to millionaires, but to people who are just starting out, because I want to see them continue. If my YouTuber starts making what I feel is too much money, I'll stop.
Old 16-04-2017, 13:14   #133

Quote:
Couple things.

1. SLV never claimed to have watched the fellas video. They just said his application was unsuccessful.

2. 1000 applications x 6 minutes is like 25 days of straight video watching. Impossible to see them all.

If you look at the comments, there is a link to a screenshot where they claim exactly that. But I agree with you, there is no way anyone would review a thousand videos (assuming it's true they received that many, which I think is unlikely).
Old 16-04-2017, 14:52   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
If you look at the comments, there is a link to a screenshot where they claim exactly that. But I agree with you, there is no way anyone would review a thousand videos (assuming it's true they received that many, which I think is unlikely).
If each application was approximately 4 minutes, it would take approximately 66 hours to watch 1000 videos. An average adult works 40 hours in 1 week. Thus, a few weeks is fine - if they watched them every day, 5 days per week. And they have nothing else to do. They are "running a business" on "Patreon" money. Whether or not they received 1000 videos, who knows? However, we live in the age where many people - worldwide - have tons of Adobe software / mobile-phone camera skills, yet low-money "crap" jobs ... if any job at all. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually DID receive 1000 applications.

They offered to pay whomever they chose to be on the boat. Pay them with "Patreon" money. It's a business run on the money given to them by strangers on the Internet who, for some reason, think they are "poor bumpkins" that need some money to help them continue shelving out their "home videos" to YouTube from their new million-dollar catamaran. Videos that are FREE to watch.

As a business man, I love seeing things how they REALLY are ($$$).
Old 16-04-2017, 14:59   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Do you find it amazing people give money to charities to support people they've never met? Or why people pay too much for girl scout cookies? It's no different. They're not giving money to watch free videos. We know you understand this, you just like belittling people who you disagree with.

In my case, I chose not to give money to millionaires, but to people who are just starting out, because I want to see them continue. If my YouTuber starts making what I feel is too much money, I'll stop.
It's completely different from giving money to Christian charities or buying girl-scout cookies. If you can't see it, that's OK. If you wish to give money to them, please do. Not "belittling" anyone. These people are running "full-blown" home businesses on "strangers" money, given to them for videos that are normally FREE to watch. That's all it is.

Have a nice day.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard