Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 05:29   #76

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
You keep saying "home movies" but they are more than that. It's more of a documentary. Or reality TV. These "home movies" are highly produced and editing and have superb quality.

I guess you never donate money to a non profit or tip your waiters for good service. What a terrible way to live life.

Some of us choose to reward people for entertaining us. No different than dropping a dollar bill in a street musicians guitar case.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:17   #77

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Seems like almost all of them ask for small donations. I have no problem with that, they give us entertainment and education that they worked hard on.

Eric Aanderaa https://www.facebook.com/erik.aander...ef=lhc.friends has never suggested that we buy him a beer. He did mention that he enjoys a beer. His channel is appropriately called No ********, Just Sailing. He is not a liveaboard however. I think his employment is offshore rescue work in the "compelling" North Seas. I am not aware of a more potentially dangerous or admirable occupation.
If I become "lost in a storm", I want that guy looking for me.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:40   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
As stated, just my opinion. Take it or leave it. I could care less how people obtain their manufactured goods, or get support for their lifestyle.

The correct expression is, "I could not care less."
Old 15-04-2017, 06:41   #79

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

What's the point of being a spectator? Cruising on Youtube? I'm more impressed by Mr B's homemade anchor.
Old 15-04-2017, 06:45   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
What's the point of being a spectator? Cruising on Youtube? I'm more impressed by Mr B's homemade anchor.
I think maybe, perhaps due to age or circumstance, it is the best some people can do. Living Vicariously is better than giving up at times........... and it shows people places and vessels they perhaps never could afford.......
Old 15-04-2017, 06:55   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
You keep saying "home movies" but they are more than that. It's more of a documentary. Or reality TV. These "home movies" are highly produced and editing and have superb quality.
I guess you never donate money to a non profit or tip your waiters for good service. What a terrible way to live life.
Some of us choose to reward people for entertaining us. No different than dropping a dollar bill in a street musicians guitar case.
No. They ARE "home movies". They are not TV shows, as they are just people with cameras uploading home movies to the Net, hoping for money. I could care less how much time they spend "editing" their home movies, because let's face it, they have "nothing else" to do. They don't "work", in the ordinary sense of the word, they have just chosen to ask others to pay for their retirement. I have watched them all, and I can easily calculate approximately home much time they have taken to "edit" their 15-minute home movie. The top sellers take around $9K of other peoples' money to shove out repeated 15-minute videos. Why people pay them, I HAVE NO IDEA! Maybe it's the whole "new age" of Internet psychology. It's the same as with "street urchin huskers", that wish to sit around strumming old guitars instead of doing a real job. I don't throw any of MY COINS into their guitar cases. It's a "little bit" removed from the "dude sitting in front of the convenience store" with a can begging for money, but not TOO FAR removed. In fact, it's even a bit more "sneaky"! These are people with $100K - $400K boats, now "million dollar boats", ASKING for YOUR MONEY, while at the same time probably running a "secret" side business (computer programmer, etc.). You wanna pay them? Please go ahead. They are not waiters coming to my dinner table.

With all that aside, I'll keep watching -- FOR FREE! Thanks! And when my wife and I start our "YouTube home movies" channel, we'll act EXACTLY as these people do. We'll take off our wedding rings, and act like "boyfriend / girlfriend bumpkins out sailing who need your support". It will be VERY fun taking other peoples' money for 15-minute home movies. Such a gas! I love it.

I also love how they ALL say "We need your help ($$$) to keep buying new cameras!" Oh really? They need $50K a month of new cameras? NOPE! Regardless, you'll never know we were "PortClydeMe". We'll just upload, and keep saying "We love you, patron brothers and sisters!" "We love you ALL, so very much!" "Thank you for buying us poor sailors beers$$$$$$$".
Old 15-04-2017, 06:58   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Gosh.
Old 15-04-2017, 07:03   #83

Quote:
No. They ARE "home movies". They are not TV shows, as they are just people with cameras uploading home movies to the Net, hoping for money. I could care less how much time they spend "editing" their home movies, because let's face it, they have "nothing else" to do. They don't "work", in the ordinary sense of the word, they have just chosen to ask others to pay for their retirement. I have watched them all, and I can easily calculate approximately home much time they have taken to "edit" their 15-minute home movie. The top sellers take around $9K of other peoples' money to shove out repeated 15-minute videos. Why people pay them, I HAVE NO IDEA! Maybe it's the whole "new age" of Internet psychology. It's the same as with "street urchin huskers", that wish to sit around strumming old guitars instead of doing a real job. I don't throw any of MY COINS into their guitar cases. It's a "little bit" removed from the "dude sitting in front of the convenience store" with a can begging for money, but not TOO FAR removed. In fact, it's even a bit more "sneaky"! These are people of $100K - $400K boats, ASKING for YOUR MONEY, while at the same time probably running a "secret" side business (computer programmer, etc.). You wanna pay them? Please go ahead. They are not waiters coming to my dinner table.

With all that aside, I'll keep watching -- FOR FREE! Thanks! And when my wife and I start our "YouTube home movies" channel, we'll act EXACTLY as these people do. We'll take off our wedding rings, and act like "boyfriend / girlfriend bumpkins out sailing who need your support". It will be VERY fun taking other peoples' money for 15-minute home movies. Such a gas! I love it.

I also love how they ALL say "We need your help ($$$) to keep buying new cameras!" Oh really? They need $50K a month of new cameras? NOPE! Regardless, you'll never know we were "PortClydeMe". We'll just upload, and keep saying "We love you, patron brothers and sisters!" "We love you ALL, so very much!" "Thank you for buying us poor sailors beers$$$$$$$".

https://youtu.be/C6BYzLIqKB8
Old 15-04-2017, 07:17   #84

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
No. They ARE "home movies". They are not TV shows, as they are just people with cameras uploading home movies to the Net, hoping for money. I could care less how much time they spend "editing" their home movies, because let's face it, they have "nothing else" to do. They don't "work", in the ordinary sense of the word, they have just chosen to ask others to pay for their retirement. I have watched them all, and I can easily calculate approximately home much time they have taken to "edit" their 15-minute home movie. The top sellers take around $9K of other peoples' money to shove out repeated 15-minute videos. Why people pay them, I HAVE NO IDEA! Maybe it's the whole "new age" of Internet psychology. It's the same as with "street urchin huskers", that wish to sit around strumming old guitars instead of doing a real job. I don't throw any of MY COINS into their guitar cases. It's a "little bit" removed from the "dude sitting in front of the convenience store" with a can begging for money, but not TOO FAR removed. In fact, it's even a bit more "sneaky"! These are people with $100K - $400K boats, now "million dollar boats", ASKING for YOUR MONEY, while at the same time probably running a "secret" side business (computer programmer, etc.). You wanna pay them? Please go ahead. They are not waiters coming to my dinner table.

The bitterness runs deeper.
Feel free to start your own you tube channel. I expect it will run the course of the majority. You will get few viewers, most, like yourself, will be to self important to want to help out someone else.
If you don't want to donate, fine, but could you quit whining about others being more generous! It's giving me a headache.
Old 15-04-2017, 08:17   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
You don't have to pick one. You can do both.

We cruise and still like to watch other people's cruising videos. We get a lot of ideas about how to do things differently and planning our next destination.

That's what the internet is so good at. I can't tell you how many repairs I have made after getting schooled on youtube on how to do it by someone who was energetic enough to make a video on how.

It's a resource. You don't have to use it. It doesn't bother me that some people don't want to do that. Why does it bother so many people that others do?
Old 15-04-2017, 08:19   #86

Quote:

You probably wonder why you never get invited to parties, I bet.
Old 15-04-2017, 08:24   #87

Quote:
Hey pal, how do you know? Are you his dad? And by the way, why do you feel they need to defend their "con" of idiot cash?

And why do you feel the need to call it a con? The world is changing and along with it comes different forms of earning a living. There is no con to seen. It works for them, and for roughly 1350 patrons who care to support them. They have openly discussed the leasing of the boat for a year and financing arranged by the manufacturer on the reduced purchase price/

I support a couple of other vlogs, in a very small way. My choice, but it doesn't have to be yours.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:45   #88

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

What a bunch of grumpy bitter dipsticks there are out there! I watch all the YT sailing channels and I gotta say every one of these channels shows me new places and things I would have never known. Give me a sailing channel over network news anytime. I'm even adjusting my RTW route based on some of the video content I have seen. Thats right. Good for every one of these guys and gals! And especially the ones who found a way to actually GET PAID to sail! Seriously what member of this forum would NOT want to be paid to sail? Come on. The naysayers out there should take a hard look at themselves. Geez. YOLO.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
And why do you feel the need to call it a con? The world is changing and along with it comes different forms of earning a living. There is no con to seen. It works for them, and for roughly 1350 patrons who care to support them. They have openly discussed the leasing of the boat for a year and financing arranged by the manufacturer on the reduced purchase price/

I support a couple of other vlogs, in a very small way. My choice, but it doesn't have to be yours.
First, and foremost, don't get me wrong. In my first reply to this thread I gave my viewpoints on what this new "sailing with patron money" game is, and a few guesses. I will never pay to watch anyone's home movies, regardless of WHO they are or WHERE they are. If any of these people go the way of a TV contract, I will also NOT PAY for that either.

With that aside, let's imagine a few things related to the word "con". A "con artist" (confidence man) usually does not want you to see what he is ACTUALLY doing as he takes your money. Now I'm not saying these "home sailing movie" folks are con artists, per se, as the choice of whether or not to pay them is still up to you. But they are not "your friends". They are "strangers". Who knows "what" they are actually doing behind the scenes with that "patron" money. If they are smart, which I think they are, they are investing patron money in stocks, investments, real estate, etc. In addition, let's imagine that many of them ALSO have a secret side business, such as being a computer programmer doing his business from the boat. Those side businesses never get spoken about, as that would be quite stupid to do while you beg for patron support money. Thus, and if such things exist, which I suspect they do, it's a bit of a CON to state "We cannot do this without your support! We love you sooooo much! Please be a patron!"

I actually admire these people. It's a really GOOD NEW Internet game ($$$$$$$$$$$). Fantastic. Anyone who can pull $50K a month out of 1,300 strangers on the Internet should be commended! My wife and I are watching this, and keeping track ($$$$). If this super slick new patron game keeps rolling, we'll jump right in! We won't tell anyone who we really are, or that we also have a very lucrative side Internet business that we are running from the boat. We'll keep that info "hush hush"!, as we stroll around Madagascar looking for some cheap shop to repair a boat part. We will film THAT, and then look into the camera and say "Please helps us, patron bros! We are sooooooo poor!"

If like stated above, then it's a bit of a con. A very smart one, at that!

Have a nice day!
Old 15-04-2017, 10:54   #90

PortClydeMe,

Well now tell us how you know how long it takes??
I started my career as a film/video editor
then finished as an executive and owner of a
post production company.
Therefore i can say in the best of circumstances
using the best and fastest Digital Non Linear
Edit Systems with a highly skilled editor
your looking at an hour per minute
Minimum, these folks most likely are at 3
hours per minute but most likely more.
By the way
I did Nat Geo Explorer and the time budget was
3 Weeks for a 20 minute segment WITH
a Writer, Producer and an Editor
Really good stuff takes way more time than
most appreciate. Just look at the credits
of your favorite broadcast or cable show.
By the way also a really good :30 spot
is over a million bucks these days, all in.
Love it when folks talk out their Arses
Cheers
Neil
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard