Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 11:12   #1351
cruiser

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

well folks, at the end of the day, it's your time and money; two most important assests that you have in life other than your health. Use them wisely, I'd suggest. At least, be the one who makes those videos, not the ones who watch them and monetarily support them. good luck to you all.
Old 27-01-2021, 11:34   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
what's very funny?
You, claiming you didn't say something you very clearly said, which is so recognizable after these past 4+ years that it's lollable. Thus, I lolled.

Also, I lolled a little (though admittedly not as much) at you flipping the script with your counter-distraction, which likewise is something we all recognize by now. Nobody's arguing with you that YT and cell phones and new tech aren't going to change things. That's as obvious as a hurricane. What I and others disagreed with is your (imo) patronizing claim that YTing is not a job. It's pervasive thinking like that which stops a lot of people from trying to make a living from something they enjoy, and I felt obliged to call it out.

BUT...I don't even care anymore so I guess you won by attrition. Congrats.
Old 27-01-2021, 12:05   #1353
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
You, claiming you didn't say something you very clearly said, which is so recognizable after these past 4+ years that it's lollable. Thus, I lolled.
Also, I lolled a little (though admittedly not as much) at you flipping the script with your counter-distraction, which likewise is something we all recognize by now. Nobody's arguing with you that YT and cell phones and new tech aren't going to change things. That's as obvious as a hurricane. What I and others disagreed with is your (imo) patronizing claim that YTing is not a job. It's pervasive thinking like that which stops a lot of people from trying to make a living from something they enjoy, and I felt obliged to call it out.
BUT...I don't even care anymore so I guess you won by attrition. Congrats.
The funny thing actually was at the end of the long post I wrote, I concluded that entertainment has been and will be a human need, and someone will provide it through any vessel.
Yes, media technology makes us more independent every day, and I like that. It was the big networks guiding creative people's fate, now, it's YT. At least, YT gives same chance to everyone at the beginning, but then they mess with the search engine and this and that. At the end of the day, YT decides what the audiance watches. Thanks to technology, one day, the creative folks won't need YT at all; which is a good thing. Right?
No, at the moment, YTing is not a real job. youtubers don't rely on a proffession, something that cannot be taken away from them; they rely on a greedy tech company that has been known to take bigger cuts from the YTers' royalties.
Audio engineering, by the way, is a real proffession. Regardless of the technology or whatsoever, there will always be a need for a good audio engineer. They make reliable income, especially the ones who invest into their own studios. An audio engineer can work at many areas without being dependent on a greedy company. It's a real job.
If those YT folks have degrees in media, acting, theather, or such, and the videos they create has value in the light of art, then it's a real job for those particular individuals - a great addition to their resume. And I respect that. The rest... I'm not so sure.
No, I didn't win anything. I might be very well wrong, and I accept that - not that there is right or wrong answer here.
Old 27-01-2021, 12:16   #1354
cruiser

Quote:
It's pervasive thinking like that which stops a lot of people from trying to make a living from something they enjoy, and I felt obliged to call it out.
Also there are doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers, and such who are in love with their proffessions. Yes, it is a great idea for anybody to pick a career she loves. A job has to be something that one doesn't get tired working 12 - 14 hrs a day, just because she loves it so much. I fully agree with you on that. Still, YTing is not one of those fields. Just my humble opinion.
Old 27-01-2021, 12:21   #1355

Quote:
The funny thing actually was at the end of the long post I wrote, I concluded that entertainment has been and will be a human need, and someone will provide it through any vessel.
Yes, media technology makes us more independent every day, and I like that. It was the big networks guiding creative people's fate, now, it's YT. At least, YT gives same chance to everyone at the beginning, but then they mess with the search engine and this and that. At the end of the day, YT decides what the audiance watches. Thanks to technology, one day, the creative folks won't need YT at all; which is a good thing. Right?
No, at the moment, YTing is not a real job. youtubers don't rely on a proffession, something that cannot be taken away from them; they rely on a greedy tech company that has been known to take bigger cuts from the YTers' shares.
Audio engineering, by the way, is a real proffession. Regardless of the technology or whatsoever, there will always be a need for a good audio engineer. They make reliable income, especially the ones who invest into their own studios. An audio engineer can work at many areas without being dependent on a greedy company. It's a real job.
If those YT folks have degrees in media, acting, theather, or such, and the videos they create has value in the light of art, then it's a real job for those particular individuals. And I respect that. The rest... I'm not so sure.
No, I didn't win anything. There is no right or wrong answer here. I might be very well wrong, and I accept that.
Okay, peace then. I guess I'd still disagree with you that YT isn't a job because there are so many people who make their living doing it (and many more who try and fail, but hey, that's capitalism...a whole nother subject). The skills these people learn are directly transferable to many high-paying jobs in the traditional entertainment industry. I guess I take offense because this is more or less the path I chose for myself, freelancing for many years before being hired by an organization which was impressed by the skills I had acquired (although they wouldn't be so impressed with my time-management today lol). My freelancing years were definitely a job which became a career, and having edited audio and video I understand how much knowledge it takes to do it well, as well as how much raw time and planning goes into producing a fixed amount of content each week.

I do agree that YT is an all-consuming corporate beast that, like FB and Google itself, has more power over its creators than it deserves.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion.
Old 27-01-2021, 12:26   #1356
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We were at the Galleon Marina this week for the Fort Lauderdale to Key West race. $250 a night there for us. A few slips away from us was a YouTube Star.... Salty Abandon. While there, only once did I see anyone aboard. Nicely maintained Island Packet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210124_144531.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	231410  
Old 27-01-2021, 12:32   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Read your whole post? Jesus my eyes started glazing over half way through. Wasted a lot of my time that could have been spent on worthwhile things, like tv or YouTube. [emoji23]
This was a lot more fun when we were discussing boobies and sailing.
Old 27-01-2021, 12:37   #1358

Back to boobies!!

Old 27-01-2021, 12:49   #1359
cruiser

Quote:
I guess I'd still disagree with you that YT isn't a job because there are so many people who make their living doing it
Technological advancements will eventually prove me wrong, and it'll be a wonderful world. Until then, back to the boobies, i guess.
Freelancing is a real job in my eyes; they pay you cash for your work. It cannot get anymore real than that. There is no charity, 'nudity,' or "hey, what ever you can chip in," literature involved in it. It's a serious business...
Thanks for listening, man.
Take care.
Old 27-01-2021, 13:12   #1360

Quote:
Technological advancements will eventually prove me wrong, and it'll be a wonderful world. Until then, back to the boobies, i guess.
Freelancing is a real job in my eyes; they pay you cash for your work. It cannot get anymore real than that. There is no charity or 'hey, what ever you can chip in,' literature involved in it. It's a serious business...
Thanks for listening, man.
Take care.
I just can't let this go lol. This is a fascinating topic to me, and something I think about all the time in my profession. I think the tech advancements you describe will make begging for dollars ubiquitous when everyone's using some sort of distributed mesh to distribute their content directly to consumers and are not being paid by the big companies. People gotta eat.

I don't consider it begging for charity, btw, any more than I consider Netflix begging when I pay them for a subscription. They produce entertainment and I pay for it because I want to watch it. Begging is the poor person's Madison Avenue. It's more or less the world you're describing, unless you're talking about a post-scarcity world where labor and capital is obsolete because machines make and do everything for us. That world will be all boobies and no sailing. Probably amazing boobies though.
Old 27-01-2021, 13:34   #1361

Boat: Other peoples

The Sailing channels are not all youth and beauty. One of the better ones is Follow the Boat and they are not spring chickens.

Paying someone for entertainment is not new. Allowing entertainment makers to do things there own way and keep and control ones content is a good thing.
Old 27-01-2021, 13:38   #1362

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
As a Millennial I can assure you processing photos and posting on social media is not a chore - it's a part of life. If it's not on Instagram - it didnt happen. Like it or hate it, it's the norm with this generation.

Youtubing is a natural progression. Especially if you have an interesting life and content to post. For the rest it's 10 sec videos on tiktok.

For the younger folks it can also give them a sense of purpose since they haven't had a 40 year career prior to sailing. Making videos can be their career achievement.

Having a successful channel that's out there on the internet with million of viewers is not small feat. It's something you can look back and be proud of.
Of course everyone knows how millennials have been sharing more and more of their lives via various online vehicles all the time. I don't think that's news to anyone. But there's a big, big difference between posting pix of your life online and telling a coherent story about sailing that not just your friends, but masses of people will want to watch and come back for more and spend money on. From what's been posted here by others, apparently those who do it regularly are spending well in excess of a 40 hour workweek per episode. I agree with you that it's a career just like someone who works on land first, saves, and only THEN goes cruising. I think it's great for those who manage to make a success of it and like doing it, but for me I don't think I'd want to be constantly working on making my next video 24/7/365 because I think it would take a lot of the joy out of cruising, sort of like living where you work would get old. Also, I don't know how they have time to do it since I seem to stay pretty busy on boat maintenance chores, repairs, and sailing the boat. But good for those who like that sort of lifestyle and can support themselves this way.
Old 27-01-2021, 13:47   #1363
cruiser

Quote:
I just can't let this go lol. This is a fascinating topic to me, and something I think about all the time in my profession. I think the tech advancements you describe will make begging for dollars ubiquitous when everyone's using some sort of distributed mesh to distribute their content directly to consumers and are not being paid by the big companies. People gotta eat.
I don't consider it begging for charity, btw, any more than I consider Netflix begging when I pay them for a subscription. They produce entertainment and I pay for it because I want to watch it. Begging is the poor person's Madison Avenue. It's more or less the world you're describing, unless you're talking about a post-scarcity world where labor and capital is obsolete because machines make and do everything for us. That world will be all boobies and no sailing. Probably amazing boobies though.
We were back to the boobies; what happened to that?!
"People gotta eat" that's where my point of view on real jobs question shine, I guess...
AI will be in the service of the creators for editing and recording, and there won't be a greedy company that's taking a big chunk of cash from their royalties. %100 of the ad income will go right into their pockets as the cell phones - or whatever devices - are going to be able to do everything that google servers do. Yeah, everybody will be creating hologram videos and such, but not everybody will be popular. I assume the successful ones will be rich and giving out charities. Today, even the most successful YT-er's financial future is in the mercy of YT. YT, one day, can announce that they are changing the search engine policy to give chance to newcomers, and the dream is over. If YT had a competition that were giving %50 of the ad income to the creators as royalties, then yeah a media business could be built through a channel like that. But at the moment, YT give a royalty of a joke to its creators. Especially since it was bought by google, the royalties have vanished in the air - now the creators earn only a fraction of what YT-ers used to earn by royalties. You cannot play with a doctor's future like that.
Netflix says, "this is how much it costs;" it comes to you with a competitive price. It doesn't say, "how much you wanna chip in, bro." The minute one says, "how much do you think it's worthed?" then it's begging. "Give me your hard earned money, so that I can continue my carefree lifestyle in the Bahamas on my yacht. Here is a video or two every week in exchange" is not a job. A way of making some good cash today, but not a job.
I don't know about the amazing future of boobies. I'm a girl, so I have no idea about the effect of boobies on 'reptile' brains of men. Female reptile brains work different - not any better, just different.
Old 27-01-2021, 13:50   #1364
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
The Sailing channels are not all youth and beauty.
Agreed
https://youtu.be/VxthF9o9k0Y
Old 27-01-2021, 14:05   #1365
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
This was a lot more fun when we were discussing boobies and sailing.

Did someone say boobies? [emoji15]
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard