Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 09:25   #1201

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post

I tried googling this but didn't come up with any information, are you sure? Last video I think I saw they were happily repairing and preparing their boat from a year of storage to be able to launch again?
No, I'm not sure. It was news to me and I was quite surprised when I read that a broker allegedly said this.

However, I wouldn't be surprised. The Wynns are very popular and I could see them getting a real sweetheart deal. Selling their old boat first shouldn't be a prerequisite for a "deal" in this heated catamaran market.

Will see......
Old 31-12-2020, 20:44   #1202

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmissile View Post
Sounds more like someone that likes to argue for the sake of arguing and must always have the last word.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:50   #1203

This discussion made me go look at three of the sailing channels we watch. Which was interesting and surprising.

I looked at Delos, Ruby Rose, and Sailing Cadoha. I assume people recognize Delos and Ruby Rose. Sailing Cadoha is a about a young couple, and their dog Hank, starting out sailing in England. They have impressive video and editing skills along with good personalities.

My first surprise was that Delos "only" has 2,221 patrons and one pays from $5 to $250 per video. I thought Delos would have had more patrons.

Second surprise was Ruby Rose which only has 450 patrons and one pays from $2 to $100 per video. Again, I thought Ruby Rose would have had more patrons, while not as many as Delos, I expected more subscribers.

Sailing Cadoha has 28 patrons and make $298 a month. They have a monthly subscription of $6.50 or $19.50.

Delos might qualify as a "stars" based on the patron numbers but it seems like there are other channels that are "super stars" based on subscribers. That was a surprise as well.

Later,
Dan
Old 01-01-2021, 11:57   #1204

Boat: Caroff 36

Don't forget the Canucks that were there at the very beginning of sailing videos - Paul & Sheryl Shard of "Distant Shores". Own TV show, good income from sailing videos and guest appearances at numerous boat shows, taking paid crew to train for long term voyaging, etc. Big promoters of Southerly swing keel sailboats. I think they're on their 3rd Southerly now, a 49 footer.

One thing that nobody has mentioned so far is the amount of talent and effort that these single-handers and couples have to invest into making a living while sailing. Reading between the lines, I feel that many of us see their success as somehow undeserved, due to having a good looking crew on board, etc. If that's really the case, try it yourself! Do you have the video, audio, scripting, editing and other production skills to do any of this well enough to make others want to watch what you do on your own boat? None of this stuff comes automatically and takes years to develop. Also, how many of us really want to expose ourselves - our personal lives, foibles and imperfections, questionable knowledge and prejudices, to the general public, especially the many internet trolls who are all too ready to publicly eviscerate you for the most minor mistake or omission.

My wife and I sometimes talk about doing what these amazing people do, but it's a pretty daunting proposition. It's enough work to simply maintain and enjoy our sailboat. Given the choice of developing and maintaining a brand new skill set and all the associated gear, I'd rather penny pinch and/or go back to a shore job that I'm already trained for, every now and then.
Old 01-01-2021, 13:50   #1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by raahell View Post
My wife and I sometimes talk about doing what these amazing people do, but it's a pretty daunting proposition. It's enough work to simply maintain and enjoy our sailboat. Given the choice of developing and maintaining a brand new skill set and all the associated gear, I'd rather penny pinch and/or go back to a shore job that I'm already trained for, every now and then.
Personally, walking around in pristine and simple countries with a camera and a selfie-stick in search of Internet sounds like a very efficient way to undermine an otherwise interesting and potentially idyllic cruising lifestyle. Case study in "Be careful of for what you wish."

But to each their own.

Peter
Old 01-01-2021, 16:36   #1206

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Personally, walking around in pristine and simple countries with a camera and a selfie-stick in search of Internet sounds like a very efficient way to undermine an otherwise interesting and potentially idyllic cruising lifestyle. Case study in "Be careful of for what you wish."

But to each their own.

Peter
Agree. Our family is working hard to be able to take a year off within the next 5 years (before kids are to big) for sailing and the WORST nightmare (well, not really but I get the picture) would be to spend that year constantly hunting for good content and producing videos. We both work in film industry and know the amount of work (both hours and mentally exhausting to be creative).

I looked up RAN sailing. Theyhave a Swedish trading company (since not limited Their figures are not public) but according to their VAT reports they seem to have a annual turnover in 2019 between 75k-100k Euro. Not sure thou if this includes patroon or only commercial sponsorship deals etc.
Old 01-01-2021, 19:50   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
This discussion made me go look at three of the sailing channels we watch. Which was interesting and surprising.

I looked at Delos, Ruby Rose, and Sailing Cadoha. I assume people recognize Delos and Ruby Rose. Sailing Cadoha is a about a young couple, and their dog Hank, starting out sailing in England. They have impressive video and editing skills along with good personalities.

My first surprise was that Delos "only" has 2,221 patrons and one pays from $5 to $250 per video. I thought Delos would have had more patrons.

Second surprise was Ruby Rose which only has 450 patrons and one pays from $2 to $100 per video. Again, I thought Ruby Rose would have had more patrons, while not as many as Delos, I expected more subscribers.

Sailing Cadoha has 28 patrons and make $298 a month. They have a monthly subscription of $6.50 or $19.50.

Delos might qualify as a "stars" based on the patron numbers but it seems like there are other channels that are "super stars" based on subscribers. That was a surprise as well.

Later,
Dan
Top dog is La vagabond but Delos is second right? Pretty much everyone else has half as much subs as delos and 1/4 that of La vagabond. Uma is probably third with 300k?

Seems like most other channels are hovering around 100k.

If the figures for RAN are correct then it would seem the Pay-off to effort ratio is not bad for around a 100k subs. Probably half that of a land based life but they are sailing and having fun.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:06   #1208

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
.... I saw project atticus video today asking to donate to their gofund me asking for 50k. When I first clicked on it today it was at 40k, checking again now its at 54k. Wouldn't be surprised if it went over 100k at the end of the 35 days. I then checked their patreon numbers. 880 subcribers with the lowest donation availabe being 3 bucks a video. Means at minimum theyre making 10k a month.
It's a bit of an assumption to say "at minimum theyre making 10k a month." Patrons who subscribe to any Patreon creator and set a per month limit on how many videos are supported. I subscribe to a few, with limits set at one or two per month.

I doubt Atticus is making anywhere near $10k/month from Patreon.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:52   #1209

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
It's a bit of an assumption to say "at minimum theyre making 10k a month." Patrons who subscribe to any Patreon creator and set a per month limit on how many videos are supported. I subscribe to a few, with limits set at one or two per month.

I doubt Atticus is making anywhere near $10k/month from Patreon.
You'd be wrong

Based on their numbers, they'll be close to $300,000 a year from Patreon/Youtube. They've had great growth in the past year or two.

Matt
Old 02-01-2021, 14:55   #1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

I thought I remembered Delos having more than that, but they may have lost some in 2020. I've been one of them for a long time, maybe eight years?
Ruby Rose has only been on Patreon about two years, IIRC. I'm on with them as well, but in both cases I have set a one video per month limit.

I also support several other sailing channels, as I get more entertainment from them than I did from Cable TV (which I discarded years ago), and I occasionally learn something useful.
Old 02-01-2021, 15:00   #1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Top dog is La vagabond but Delos is second right? Pretty much everyone else has half as much subs as delos and 1/4 that of La vagabond. Uma is probably third with 300k?
No, Doodles is sittling at 333k right now. And in total views I think Bobby is in 4th place among the sailing channels.
Old 02-01-2021, 15:22   #1212

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I think Sampson Boat Co is giving La Vagabond a run for the top income spot. Subscriber number isn't an indicator of income... it's the amount of views from each video that matters with Youtube. But more importantly than Youtube income from views, the number of Patreons is what really makes the difference. And Sampson is tops here.

Matt
Old 02-01-2021, 15:27   #1213

Captain Rick Moore of Sailing Sophisticated Lady was one of the initial youtube sailing videographers. He's my favorite. Personable, a teacher and shares a realistic experience of living aboard.
Old 02-01-2021, 15:35   #1214

My Patron support for SSL is $5 a month ...flat fee. They have a tiered rate starting at $2 a month with different perks at each level, but no pay per view.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:29   #1215

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
You'd be wrong

Based on their numbers, they'll be close to $300,000 a year from Patreon/Youtube. They've had great growth in the past year or two.

Matt
If Atticus is truly pulling in anything within shouting distance of $300k/year, then their level of shamelessness in begging for funds for a new boat is stunning. Guess P.T. Barnum was right.

Tags
liveaboard