Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 16:39   #976

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

My favorite TV is now Acorn to Arabella and Leo rebuilding the 110 yr old 48' Tally Ho on his channel Sampson Boat Co. These two builds are also interesting juxaposition because Steve with Arabella is a brilliant carpenter whose never built a boat and Whose first sailing experience will be on Arabella. Leo on the other hand is a trained shipwright and sailor. The community that Leo has created around this project is inspiring. Especially in this time of fractured community.
Old 15-09-2020, 17:16   #977

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Then, I recommend Acorn to Arabella. It is interesting to compare the craftsmanship between the two. There is no way I would try to build a boat myself, but the details are fascinating.
Yes, I watch them, too! Another good wooden boat building channel.
Old 16-09-2020, 09:38   #978

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

I've been lately watching that new one called "Wild We Roam" because they bought the same boat as ours - a Hallberg-Rassy 35 Rasmus. It's not a boat that shows up on YouTube vlogs previously.

They are "newbie cruisers" but like the Wynns they brought with them a huge subscriber and patreon base from their previous time as van campers. Their fan base bought their boat for them through the sales of an ebook in a matter of weeks after it was published.

Now they are only a few months into cruising and already are the number 4 sailing channel on YouTube with 308k subscribers, close on the heels of the Wynns with around 350k and behind Delos at 600k and juggernaut LVB at a massive 1.5 million.

They make a lot of the typical newbie non-sailor mistakes and because we have the same exact boat see how some of their modifications and plans maybe are not the best choices, or may not even work well at all.

It will be interesting seeing how these guys progress, and comparing them to rhe Wynns, which I gave up on watching soon after they got underway when it became a boring travel blog and not really about the sailing or the boat at all in my eyes.
Old 16-09-2020, 12:29   #979

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Erik Aanderaa (NBJS) has recently released the first video of his trip around the Norwegian Sea.
I like his simple approach: great cinematic views, focus on the boat and the water; the rest comes after.

Old 16-09-2020, 20:53   #980

Sail GBU is stupid entertainment. Those two are kinda bone heads but it makes me smile.
Old 17-09-2020, 06:47   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Sail GBU is stupid entertainment. Those two are kinda bone heads but it makes me smile.
Me, too. They are definitely figuring it out as they go, with an unbelievably positive attitude.
Old 18-09-2020, 06:28   #982

Boat: Tayana 47

I've been enjoying mjsailing.com videos. They seem to be pretty much what La Vagabond was when they started. Im not in the habit of donating to any of these UTube sites but felt I should donate to them and did so because one of the educational videos they did helped me to get over the hump so I dared to tear into my watermakers ETD to replace the seals myself rather than sending it off to have it professionally done. Then, out of curiosity I watched several of their other videos and enjoyed them a lot. Yes, just as on La Vagabond the wife happens to be quite beautiful and personable, but their bikini shot to actual useful cruising information ratio is a lot lower than on La Vagabond and I prefer it that way. Please note that I certainly have nothing against beautiful young women in bikinis and realize that in tropical locations they are common and practical attire, but I find it a bit tawdry when it's pretty obvious that a couple making a supposed sailing video is focused more on the wife's physical assets than they are on sailing or traveling.
Old 18-09-2020, 12:16   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I've been enjoying mjsailing.com videos. They seem to be pretty much what La Vagabond was when they started. Im not in the habit of donating to any of these UTube sites but felt I should donate to them and did so because one of the educational videos they did helped me to get over the hump so I dared to tear into my watermakers ETD to replace the seals myself rather than sending it off to have it professionally done. Then, out of curiosity I watched several of their other videos and enjoyed them a lot. Yes, just as on La Vagabond the wife happens to be quite beautiful and personable, but their bikini shot to actual useful cruising information ratio is a lot lower than on La Vagabond and I prefer it that way. Please note that I certainly have nothing against beautiful young women in bikinis and realize that in tropical locations they are common and practical attire, but I find it a bit tawdry when it's pretty obvious that a couple making a supposed sailing video is focused more on the wife's physical assets than they are on sailing or traveling.
Agreed.

Youtube started recommending MJSailing and I have started to watch them, though they are going to the dark side by BUILDING a cat.

The cat purchase seems rational since I assume they will have kids at some point, and that would be difficult on their current boat.

I have been impressed with what they have done to their boat. Very impressive. So many people try to do what they have accomplished.

I watched one of the Cat Build episodes, which was very interesting and I have to find the time to watch the even longer video on a Cat Build they have published.

Later,
Dan
Old 18-09-2020, 16:14   #984

Always been a fan of SV Avocet https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingAvocet/ and just started watching (they are new) Expedition Evans https://www.youtube.com/c/ExpeditionEvans/ I think there is a real niche out there for the 'project boat' type YouTube channels. A bunch of other new channels here: https://youtu.be/duXVE83fF8I
Old 19-09-2020, 01:36   #985

So after 5 long hot years building their aluminum boat from basically a bare hull and only really sailing it for two they are starting all over again now with a cat?

Maybe building boats on the hard is more to their taste than sailing them?
Old 19-09-2020, 02:48   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
So after 5 long hot years building their aluminum boat from basically a bare hull and only really sailing it for two they are starting all over again now with a cat?

Seems like a lot of hard work to me too, but as nice as they made their aluminum boat, I wouldnít want to live full time on it indefinitely, especially if planning to have a family. Iíd want something with more space and if you donít have enough $$ to buy one that meets your long term requirements, your only other choice is to build one. Iím sure itíll be an interesting process and will set them up for years of comfortable cruising in the future. But whether they are actually sailing or exploring new harbors and meeting people or working on boat projects, I like how they interact and how they present whatever they are currently up to. It just easy to watch and feels real, at least to me.
Old 19-09-2020, 02:48   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post

Seems like a lot of hard work to me too, but as nice as they made their aluminum boat, I wouldnít want to live full time on it indefinitely, especially if planning to have a family. Iíd want something with more space and if you donít have enough $$ to buy one that meets your long term requirements, your only other choice is to build one. Iím sure itíll be an interesting process and will set them up for years of comfortable cruising in the future. But whether they are actually sailing or exploring new harbors and meeting people or working on boat projects, I like how they interact and how they present whatever they are currently up to. It just easy to watch and feels real, at least to me.
Old 19-09-2020, 03:18   #988

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

It's insteresting posts have come up about having a family. As is that is something they will do or even want to do. It reminds me of all those comments on Youtube for SLV telling Riley he should marry Elena. Why? Plenty more to life than that kind of stuff, in the western world.

Building the Cat now for the next couple of years makes enough sense to me, especially now that COVID is forcing boarders closed every 3 months, and might carry on for years.

They've has a few years cruising the Aluminium boat, and years cruising a boat before that.

I for one will probably watch the Cat build, where I was less interested in the monohull build. Now if they can make Mads/Athena quality that will be a fun watch. Funjohnson (that name could be taken out of context - haha ) as he is on here certainly has the skills for it.
Old 19-09-2020, 03:40   #989

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
It's insteresting posts have come up about having a family. As is that is something they will do or even want to do. It reminds me of all those comments on Youtube for SLV telling Riley he should marry Elena. Why? Plenty more to life than that kind of stuff, in the western world.

Building the Cat now for the next couple of years makes enough sense to me, especially now that COVID is forcing boarders closed every 3 months, and might carry on for years.

They've has a few years cruising the Aluminium boat, and years cruising a boat before that.

I for one will probably watch the Cat build, where I was less interested in the monohull build. Now if they can make Mads/Athena quality that will be a fun watch. Funjohnson (that name could be taken out of context - haha ) as he is on here certainly has the skills for it.

Whoa there, Iím not assuming they plan on having children and Iím certainly not suggesting they ďshouldĒ or shouldnít for that matter, but someone else mentioned it and I took it as one of the many reasons why they might want a bigger boat with more space. But whether itís to make room for kids or guests or room to store stuff they want to carry or to have better visibility from inside the cabin or for any of the other reasons why some folks prefer cats, I agree that itís an especially well timed change while many borders are closed anyway, and Iím optimistic theyíll make it both fun to watch and educational.
Old 20-09-2020, 09:47   #990

Speaking if liking DIY refitting/building more than sailing I have a feeling that Mads from SailLife will be following this same path since his future wife has already stated that Athena is too small for her tastes and really wants a catamaran.

I highly doubt they will actively cruise on the monohull for even half as long as it took Mads to build/refit his dream boat. It will be around 4 years in the making by the time they get Athena to the point where they can cut the lines and actually cruise.

Will they be starting the catamaran build before two years are up? With a bunch of cats likely going on the market soon because of failing charter businesses in the new reality of 'Ronaworld I have a feeling that they might run into a "too good of a deal to pass up" before they even make it all the way to the USA on their first trip.

Time will tell. I'd still watch Mads even if he were to go to the dark side. SailLife is one of the few YouTube sail channels worth watching.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard