Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 11:04   #916

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
HOWEVER, what I can't excuse is having basically NO money! "We have no money and can't afford a hotel for 2 weeks of quarantine" WHO does that?

Nice couple.....I wish them luck.
The VERY short version...

He used to cruise on a nice but smaller cat in Australia and have various crew come and go - until a mistake was made, the boat went up on a reef, and he lost everything. She had arrived recently onboard back then.

So they had to start from scratch, flew to the US and bought an old boat for next to nothing out of what money was left, don't have much, and 'live off the land' by spearfishing, etc.

They normally have money to buy monthly provisions, fuel, etc, but certainly they are living on a small budget, that's for sure.

Paying thousands for hotels, or repatriation was never going to happen.
But being allowed to provision and fuel and quarantine somewhere would have been doable, even if not particularly comfortable - because that's their normal cruising life.

I'm not judging either way. Just mentioning how it was/is for some others.

Old 22-06-2020, 12:14   #917

According to Noonsite, Fiji reopened.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/pacifi...agged-vessels/

Quote:
After months of advocating to the Fiji Government, Port Denarau Marina have announced on their website that the Prime Minister of Fiji, today in his speech, declared maritime borders open for foreign flagged vessels and Superyachts. This good news, however, does need to be tempered with some patience as the Ministry of Health work on getting the process in place.

[Update Monday 22 June]
Following the announcement yesterday that Fiji’s maritime borders were open, it appears that while the Prime Minister has outlined the proposal, there is still much work to be done to implement it.

On further discussion with the Ministry of Health this morning, they will produce a framework form with more detailed requirements. They also stated this morning that they want to trial this on superyachts initially.
This may cause some delay for cruising yachts.

Cruisers are urged to be patient, and to allow the Ministry of Health and Port Denarau Marina to get the procedure in place before making an application to go to Fiji.

As soon as details become available we will publish them in Fiji biosecurity.

From Port Denarau Website [Sunday 21 June]:

After months of advocating to the Fiji Government, we are delighted to announce that the Prime Minister of Fiji, today in his speech declared maritime borders open for foreign flagged vessels and Superyachts.

There are however strict conditions to follow to ensure entry. PM’s speech highlights the requirements:

Fiji will be establishing safe ‘blue lanes‘, open to those yachts and pleasure crafts sailing to Fiji. Any boat coming to Fiji will be carefully considered on a case-by-case basis. The only port of entry will be Port Denarau Marina. If this pilot project is successful, extending blue lanes to other ports and marinas will be considered.

Those eligible to sail to Fiji fall under two categories, both of which will require them to be tested in another country before departing.

If their journey to Fiji will take 14 days or longer uninterrupted at sea, once they dock in Fiji and show proof of a negative test result, everyone on board will be screened by the Ministry of Health for symptoms. If they’re deemed to be healthy, their yacht will be allowed to freely visit other ports throughout Fiji.

Alternatively, those with a journey at sea shorter than 14 days will be required to make up the difference in quarantine once they dock in Fiji at their own cost. So, say they spend eight days alone at sea –– they will then be required to pay for six days of quarantine in Fiji, after which they can be cleared by a negative test result, also at their own cost.

All visitors must download the careFIJI App to enter the country. Fiji’s COVID-19 tracing app has been launched by Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and it is now available on Google Playstore or the Apple App Store. See https://carefiji.digitalfiji.gov.fj/ for more details.

Please refer to PM’s full speech for full details and further information on other border requirements and restrictions in Fiji.
Later,
Dan
Old 22-06-2020, 18:29   #918

Not all people who are poor are lazy or stupid. Sometimes life happens. I find it easy to judge others from the comfort of your home while eating steak and drinking red wine.
I would rather judge a person on who he/she is. In my line of work I meet famous actors down to a guy who lives in a garage doing his best to take care of his son.
You hear often on here don't wait go out there and live your dream.
But then put someone down cause they didn't make millions first before they went out there and live their dream!!
sometimes there is only plan A, plan B is too expensive or just out of reach.
I judge people this way. If I were stranded in an elevator with them how would I feel about it would I feel like killing them or sit down and have a few stories and laughs and make a friend
Its down to would you hate getting stuck in an elevator with them or you wont mind.
Old 22-06-2020, 18:44   #919
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Not all people who are poor are lazy or stupid. Sometimes life happens. I find it easy to judge others from the comfort of your home while eating steak and drinking red wine.
I would rather judge a person on who he/she is. In my line of work I meet famous actors down to a guy who lives in a garage doing his best to take care of his son.
But then put someone down cause they didn't make millions first before they went out there and live their dream!!
sometimes there is only plan A, plan B is too expensive or just out of reach.
I judge people this way. If I were stranded in an elevator with them how would I feel about it would I feel like killing them or sit down and have a few stories and laughs and make a friend
Its down to would you hate getting stuck in an elevator with them or you wont mind.

Old 22-06-2020, 21:41   #920

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
But then put someone down cause they didn't make millions first before they went out there and live their dream!!.
Old 23-06-2020, 02:42   #921

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
According to Noonsite, Fiji reopened.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/pacifi...agged-vessels/

Later,
Dan

Wonderful news.

Of course, this group of cruisers left New Zealand before Fiji announced their opening, and certainly the boats would not have been able to follow the rules of testing before leaving and sending notification of arrival.

Hopefully they don’t f**k it up for the rest of us.
Old 24-06-2020, 04:38   #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Personally I'd rather be broke on a boat in the water than broke in an apartment in the inner city.
I'd rather not be broke and the vast majority with no savings are there based on choices they made.

Sure you have the rare person who just got a raw deal in life but they are very rare and the cruisers we are talking about generally don't fall into that category.

PS: Go small Go now...in my mind presumes you are in a financial position to do it. By going small and simple, the finances needed are smaller but they are still needed if you don't plan on eventually relying on someone else paying for your adventure.
Old 25-06-2020, 01:50   #923

Boat: naver 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Wynns are stuck away from their boat and are doing the right thing following the local rules in Fiji. Pure bad luck for them that they couldn’t complete the last 90 minute flight to get back to their boat back in March, I feel really sorry for them. They’d still be stuck in place, but at least they’d be home.

Zatara and a host of other international boats (about 20 in total) cleared out of New Zealand almost two weeks ago, reportedly heading for Fiji. New Zealand was (and still is and will be for the foreseeable future) at level 1 and anyone is able to leave the country, though only New Zealand citizens are allowed to return. What happens in November when the South Pacific cyclone season starts - can they get back in?

But Fiji is closed. Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Australia, Western Samoa, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands, and New Zealand are all closed to non citizens and for leisure travel. American Samoa is open for US citizens for resupply only.

These boats all left with the idea that they’d declare an ‘emergency’ and force their way into one of the island countries. There are no legal cruising options for any of those boats.

Alternatively, they could park up at Minerva Reefs. Imagine the environmental degradation and devastation from 20 boats staying at Minerva Reefs for several months.

All of these skippers are idiots, endangering themselves and their crews. And they’re demonstrating to locals that cruisers care only for themselves and are happy to flout the local rules. ‘White privilege’ by wealthy westerners?

We’ve heard the stories coming out of French Polynesia even prior to Covid-19 of the dislike for cruisers. This is now going to extend to the western Pacific Islands too - this group of boats is in the process of making South Pacific cruising more difficult for the rest of us for a generation.

Thanks for nothing you bunch of selfish jerks.

(BTW, I’m in Whangarei right now and the place is packed with international cruisers stuck because borders are closed. Nobody I’ve talked to supports what the outgoing boats have done and there’s quite a bit of anger towards them.)
Are you sure Zatara left NZ?according to a post made 2 hours ago on both youtube and facebook they're still here
Old 25-06-2020, 07:06   #924

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Go small, go now, but don't just head off into the ocean until you have started small and done the easy stuff to get your feet wet. If someone is on the US East Coast, for example, then cruise the ICW for a year or two before heading across the Atlantic a few weeks right after buying your first boat.

I believe in the Go small/Go now philosophy but at least be smart about not pushing your luck way beyond your experience level. I'm concerned many people don't have the common sense to grasp this. You can still cruise full time in the training grounds while you learn the ropes. A place like the ICW still has its pitfalls but at least one is close to help and shore if disaster strikes. Once you get offshore you are on your own when it comes to self-rescue for many hours or even days and a small mistake can befome a very large problem if a newbie mismanages things in that time.
Old 25-06-2020, 12:11   #925

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Wonderful news.

Of course, this group of cruisers left New Zealand before Fiji announced their opening, and certainly the boats would not have been able to follow the rules of testing before leaving and sending notification of arrival.

Hopefully they don’t f**k it up for the rest of us.
Fake News about Zatara they are still in New Zealand today.
Old 26-06-2020, 06:56   #926

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Zatara family will be fine because they worked their ass off and saved money for decades and are multimillionaires able to deal with pretty much whatever life throws at them. Other boats owners out there who took the shortcut and didn't create a pile of wealth before they got out there can't really deal with this stuff as easily. Personally if I'm writing a blog/vlog begging for enough money to have a new anchor or replace the broken autopilot, or talking about how they can't believe the audacity of countries not letting me in I'd be embarrassed.
May have already been mentioned in the nearly 1000 posts, but Lazy Gecko has a unique model that seems to have generated a lot of money despite only 90k subscribers. Sure, standard click-bait of Mom in Bikini that garners 339 Patreon subscribers and $3500/creation.

So how did they afford to purchase a lightly used Antares 44 a couple years ago that they said was close to $1m? That's the unique part - where it gets lucrative is their adults-only Patreon subscriptions from $20-$250/month!! They show 307 Patrons for the 18+ older side of their business. Certainly set themselves apart in an otherwise crowded field of sail-focused YT'ers.

Peter
Old 26-06-2020, 13:07   #927

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbald View Post

Thanks, my mistake including them. I was told about the mass departure by the Customs Officer in Whangarei, confirmed it with a couple of local boats, and was told that Zatara was part of the group. Apparently not, so that’s great and good on them for not leaving despite their massive provisioning.

For the rest of the group, it all stands.
Old 26-06-2020, 13:29   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbald View Post

“Fake news” is a politically charged term that implies the source is intending to deceive.

This appears to be a simple mistake.
Old 26-06-2020, 22:32   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
“Fake news” is a politically charged term that implies the source is intending to deceive.

This appears to be a simple mistake.

^^^ This.
Old 13-07-2020, 21:11   #930

Greetings,
It's my first post here. I've been lurking for awhile. I found this thread and feel the need to contribute. Our favorite entertainment these days is following various digital nomads. Of these, cruising sailors are by far the most interesting. And...that lifestyle is a dream that has called to me often through the years. As we approach retirement we've realized we could actually make it a reality. Anyway, my reason for posting into this thread is to draw attention to YouTube channel Sailing RAN, a Swedish couple who recently became 3. They are currently our favorite video making voyagers. What we appreciate is that they create a very well conceived presentation, they do their homework teaching history or interesting aspects about where they are, and....the musical soundtrack is unique and excellent.
I like several sailing youtubers. Erik Aanderaa is another favorite.
Be safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard