Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 16:25   #736

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
The Adventures of Tarka is another small boat/small budget series that's pretty good.
Yea but isnt he selling (sold) the board and moving back onshore?
Old 12-06-2019, 17:18   #737

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
youtube..

Sailing Vessel Prism
Sailing Nervous
White Spot Pirates
Rick Moore
Geoff Waller
Sailing Nandji
Couch Sailors..
Drake Paragon. one of the first on youtube..

A big shout out for utubers Sailing Florence, young personable English couple.
Old 03-03-2020, 14:41   #738

Guys, I hope you can help me remember the name of a TV series I used to absolutely LOVE that I've been searching all afternoon for and just can't seem to find anything at all.

Let me describe it: A TV series about a family of four with two small kids (a boy and a girl around 6-8?) from Canada bought a sailboat around Miami and ended up sailing around the world, as best I can remember. Much of the show was them in the South Pacific. I remember the father was a dentist and there were episodes about him helping people on remote islands who were in bad need of dentistry. It almost seems that the kids might have been adopted and were scandanavian.

Does anyone remember this?!
Old 03-03-2020, 15:13   #739

Boat: Jeanneau 27

I like them all to one extent or the other. I am a little tired of the "Raw" trend where they just mount a go pro and let it run for a couple of hours. Often you can't see much since it's one angle. Pretty sure it's just so they can meet their youtube deadlines for posting. I know sailing Aquarius has put out more raw videos in the last month or so than regular videos, usually they are very good about touring areas and lots of good info otherwise.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:46   #740

Boat: 1985 O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I have watched only two episodes of Zatara (hey, thats more than I can stand of many other channels). At least the seem like a genuine family doing it their way. Not scripted reality with perfect editing.
They seem to do their videos for themselfs and their friends more than for the wider audience.

To me (!) it feels like they are having way more fun then many of the established channels.
I like Sailing Zatara. It has become my favorite but I have only watched a few of these channels (Delos, White Spot, Wicked Salty, Atticus). They seem like a good family, typical Texas middle class made good. They made some money and then went off to sail with their kids. Good for them. Their video quality is stellar and I don't know how they do it, or why they go the effort frankly.

It's a little bit of a put-on because they say they don't do the videos for the money and have no Patreon, but they clearly have sponsors and sell t shirts etc. But I can accept that, these people clearly started dirt poor and made their dough by being entrepreneurial and know no other way than to make a few bucks if they can. But any money they make is a drop in the bucket compared to what they spend on their half million dollar cat with every gadget known to man.

I do learn a lot listening to the Dad about his decisions and projects. He explains it like it is. The DIY solar project video was short and excellent as was the boat systems tour he did.

Their safety stuff drives me bananas though and I scream at the TV sometimes with their kids running all over and hanging over the side on passages with NO PFDS!!! Nice family and I really hope nobody falls over.

I live in Maine and the sailing season is short. Some of these videos get me through the winter.
Old 04-03-2020, 19:00   #741

Boat: 1990 Hardin Marine Cheyenne

I like the ones that tell a story and get a little technical showing you how things work. I would have to say my favorite is a toss up between Sailing Nahoa and The O'Kelly's. One thing I love about The O'Kelly's is they have no Patreon. They're doing it on their own for the love of sailing. Mad respect. Both of them talk about their boats and how to sail them. Sailing GBU and Bums on a Boat are both really cool couples that doing it on a shoestring budget. They talk a lot about their boats also. I can't leave out the man himself, Rick Moore. He's just a cool dude cruising one Sofisticated Lady.

A couple of new ones that are really technical is Sailing Lady Africa and Parlay Revival. They did total rebuilds. Lady Africa on an old boat, and Parlay on a hurricane damaged boat. Of course Delos and Sailing Doodles are always great to watch and really mix things up.

I used to watch Vegabonds but just had to unsubscribe after their last PR stunt. I kinda raised an eyebrow at the boat deal, but when they took on Greta, I was out. It seems they are in it for the money now.

The latest guy doing it, and he's totally nuts, is 9to5Less. That guy.. He is making it happen for himself and his girl Jess. Another brand new one is Peter Rollo. He just bought a big cat, took three hours of lessons and headed out from New Zealand or something like that.

Anyway, those are all of them I am subscribed to. Our youngest graduates this May and our plan is to sell our house, get a couple of rental properties and a couple of flip houses over the next year or so and hit the water. I have our channel started and we're going to document our journey from being land locked to living on board. We looked at our first big cats a few weeks ago in Houston and the wife is now 100% on board (pun intended). We're probably leaning toward a Leopard 44 at this point, but we're in the early stages and that will probably change.

Our channel is SV Salacia. We have 6 subscribers and 1 "episode" video at this point. In episode 1, I'm figuring out how to record and edit and was so excited about looking at a Lagoon 450 that I totally forgot to record any of it! Episode 2 should be out this weekend and we'll talk about why we decided to take on this adventure. We have no Patreon and don't plan on it.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:31   #742

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I have been watching various youtube liveaboard videos for a few months. These series seem to constantly pop up for viewing:
* The Vagabond couple. The real star are the eyes of the young lady. How did that young buck come up with the cash for that yacht and endless voyage anyway? Again, the real treasure is his lovely co-star.
* The SVVelos crew. Once again, how did that young man buy that 52' yacht and endless voyage? I think it even has a scuba tank compressor.
* Followtheboat. Middle aged couple with 42' boat. This one seem real. He was a DJ so their audio quality is always very good. They focus on education about liveaboard challenges.
* EmeraldSteel. Another trip into a fantasy world. She somehow maintains an amazing middle aged figure. We are left to wonder if this is due to exercise or genetics. He was a home builder and can make a huge ships mast with a knife and saw (an exaggeration). Their boat is made of steel. Of course he knows how to maintain it himself.
* There are a few single guys doing their liveaboard/sailing thing. Having a hard time competing with the couples I would think.
* There is a new couple from Australia. I hope they make a lot more videos.

Have I been missing the best ones? Who do you like?
https://youtu.be/ovDdiq_QSJ4

New kid on the block, the grateful sailor
Old 12-05-2020, 09:34   #743
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

No One Watches Cruising Video Blogs Anymore, they are just too popular.

What Yogi would have said.
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management and Brokerage
Old 12-05-2020, 09:41   #744

Boat: Etap 38i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeracer View Post
Bums on a Boat are both really cool couples that doing it on a shoestring budget.
I really like their channel. They really focus on the technical aspects of it, are down to earth, and are less about the making vacation destination videos.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:46   #745
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Cruisers/Boaters get a little confused about who most of these YouTuber/Cruisers Vids have as a target audience....hint...it aint the DIY Cruiser Folks. It is not even people with boats or that will every have or buy a boat. Once you understand who the target clicks and eyes are....you start to understand the BUSINESS. Because yes Virginia, making YouTube Vids for a living is a Business. The successful ones get it and make hundreds of thousands of dollar per year. While others think their market is fellow cruisers/boaters and get paid in ego and "fame", that and $1 buys you a cup of coffee.
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management and Brokerage
Old 12-05-2020, 10:39   #746

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

https://youtu.be/c-LBiLj1McI

Grateful sailor.

Enjoy
Old 12-05-2020, 12:39   #747
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

We have quite a few episodes from places that are a little off the normal world cruising route.
Tuvalu , Kiribati and (coming soon ) The Marshall Islands 😊
Here’s our latest offering https://youtu.be/Ce0NASY8Fv4
Old 20-05-2020, 08:13   #748

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No One Watches Cruising Video Blogs Anymore, they are just too popular.

What Yogi would have said.
Yogi was 200 percent right though. When he said "no one goes there anymore because it is too crowded" he really meant those zombies who packed these crowded tourist traps were actually "no one.". Yogi was sports royalty, he was someone. Even though half of what he said made no sense and the other half was offten stupid, people still listened to him. He definitely wasn't a no one.

People who watch these stupid pandering YouTube sailing blogs are "no one" as well IMHO. Non-cruisers mostly, dreamers, escapists, couch potatoes, working slobs. No ones. That pretty much 85% or more of the people here on cruisersforum too, unfortunately.

And most of these popular YouTube shows (and a million wannabe clones) are pandering for that higher "no one" click count. As a real cruiser your click doesn't count any more than some couch-surfer who doesn't know starboard from larboard. Since there are so few of us in reality compared to the vast "washed masses" then what purpose would it serve any YouTube channel to ever stop pandering to their greater click count?
Old 20-05-2020, 13:12   #749
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Cruisers/Boaters get a little confused about who most of these YouTuber/Cruisers Vids have as a target audience....hint...it aint the DIY Cruiser Folks. It is not even people with boats or that will every have or buy a boat. Once you understand who the target clicks and eyes are....you start to understand the BUSINESS. Because yes Virginia, making YouTube Vids for a living is a Business. The successful ones get it and make hundreds of thousands of dollar per year. While others think their market is fellow cruisers/boaters and get paid in ego and "fame", that and $1 buys you a cup of coffee.
Well said Rich, but there are a few channels like Free Range Sailing, that gives every sailor fishing tips as well as promoting a KISS sailing philosophy.

My girlfriend now enjoys watching the slew of babies growing up on board some of the more prominent Tubers (which is a worrying sign)

I look at ones that update me on destinations via searching functions

Certain personalities entertain me, others mostly irritate
Old 20-05-2020, 13:57   #750

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Yogi was 200 percent right though. When he said "no one goes there anymore because it is too crowded" he really meant those zombies who packed these crowded tourist traps were actually "no one.". Yogi was sports royalty, he was someone. Even though half of what he said made no sense and the other half was offten stupid, people still listened to him. He definitely wasn't a no one.

People who watch these stupid pandering YouTube sailing blogs are "no one" as well IMHO. Non-cruisers mostly, dreamers, escapists, couch potatoes, working slobs. No ones. That pretty much 85% or more of the people here on cruisersforum too, unfortunately.

And most of these popular YouTube shows (and a million wannabe clones) are pandering for that higher "no one" click count. As a real cruiser your click doesn't count any more than some couch-surfer who doesn't know starboard from larboard. Since there are so few of us in reality compared to the vast "washed masses" then what purpose would it serve any YouTube channel to ever stop pandering to their greater click count?

Wow! As I sit here on my couch on Maui dreaming about escaping and googling "larboard" since everyone calls it port, I'm astounded that your whopping four years of boat ownership has made you so full of Aloha. Tough day on the ICW? IMHO means "in my HUMBLE opinion".

To the OP, my son likes the one with the people from Texas on the catamaran and all the kids. He is 13. I guess he must be a "no one" too. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. '

"The future ain't what it used to be." -yb

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard