Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 20:49   #61

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Not true amigo....you have been giving something quite valuable, you may not quite get it yet, but with each keystroke, you can hear the cash register...cha ching....cha ching....
Well, we're getting a little off topic here, amigo. If you want to throw away your money for FREE things, go ahead. Do whatever you wish. Do you know what "I get" with every keystroke? I get the chance to stop typing, then look in my wallet and see that MY MONEY is STILL THERE ... in MY WALLET.

I'll ask it again. What type of person wants to give even "ONE DOLLAR" to strangers on the Internet who upload FREE home movies and are laughing all the way to the bank, while also taking delivery of a FREE million-dollar boat? I have no idea where that idiocy comes from, but it doesn't come from me.

Have a nice day, amigo!
Old 14-04-2017, 22:46   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Well, we're getting a little off topic here, amigo. If you want to throw away your money for FREE things, go ahead. Do whatever you wish. Do you know what "I get" with every keystroke? I get the chance to stop typing, then look in my wallet and see that MY MONEY is STILL THERE ... in MY WALLET.

I'll ask it again. What type of person wants to give even "ONE DOLLAR" to strangers on the Internet who upload FREE home movies and are laughing all the way to the bank, while also taking delivery of a FREE million-dollar boat? I have no idea where that idiocy comes from, but it doesn't come from me.

Have a nice day, amigo!

enough already.

Its obvious that you dont take advantage of the 'free' content available to you and actually watch it. Instead you make assumptions and write statements that are factually incorrect.

The boat is not free. They have to PAY for it. They are buying it. There is an episode on their YOUTUBE account that outlines the agreement.

For some, YOUTUBE is a business. The business model is based around advertising and sponsorship. Google pays something like $1 per 20 thousand views because they get revenue from advertising...the biggest earners on YOUTUBE without personal sponsorship are gamers... the top 5 make in excess of $5 milion per year.... Google pays this money because its worth it to them and the money comes from 'free' views which clicks revenue from the advertisers who pay Google. Without that model, YOUTUBE would not be 'free'.

Personal sponsorship via outfits like Patreon.... are from individuals who support a cause or individuals that they wish to... its not compulsory and solely up to the discretion of the giver. People who give this way, admire the content and quality of the cause they support, and are glad to assist in the costs associated with video production. Its an appreciation thing.

Everything is monetised on the web by the big companies.... it may not have a direct cost to your pocket, but your viewing is paid for by your click... if that revenue stream dries up, so does your free viewing.

So yes, you can watch everything on YOUTUBE without direct cost... and that is the beauty of the model, but its not free.
Old 14-04-2017, 23:24   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
enough already.

Its obvious that you dont take advantage of the 'free' content available to you and actually watch it. Instead you make assumptions and write statements that are factually incorrect.

The boat is not free. They have to PAY for it. They are buying it. There is an episode on their YOUTUBE account that outlines the agreement.

For some, YOUTUBE is a business. The business model is based around advertising and sponsorship. Google pays something like $1 per 20 thousand views because they get revenue from advertising...the biggest earners on YOUTUBE without personal sponsorship are gamers... the top 5 make in excess of $5 milion per year.... Google pays this money because its worth it to them and the money comes from 'free' views which clicks revenue from the advertisers who pay Google. Without that model, YOUTUBE would not be 'free'.

Personal sponsorship via outfits like Patreon.... are from individuals who support a cause or individuals that they wish to... its not compulsory and solely up to the discretion of the giver. People who give this way, admire the content and quality of the cause they support, and are glad to assist in the costs associated with video production. Its an appreciation thing.

Everything is monetised on the web by the big companies.... it may not have a direct cost to your pocket, but your viewing is paid for by your click... if that revenue stream dries up, so does your free viewing.

So yes, you can watch everything on YOUTUBE without direct cost... and that is the beauty of the model, but its not free.
As stated, just my opinion. Take it or leave it. I could care less how people obtain their manufactured goods, or get support for their lifestyle. Yacht companies wish to sell yachts. Publishing houses wish to sell books. People frying a hamburger on an AMEL wish to sell a video of that experience. Will I pay for that? Nope. If people wish to upload home videos to YouTube, then please have at it. If other people wish to "financially support" strangers that take in approximately $50K a month by uploading "hamburger cooking" home videos, that's fine. I don't feel the need to support strangers who are running around on beaches drinking, and "obtaining" expensive boats. I'd rather spend my money on my drinks, and my boats. Ps; I know how the Internet works. Thanks.
Old 14-04-2017, 23:29   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As stated, just my opinion. Take it or leave it. I could care less how people obtain their manufactured goods, or get support for their lifestyle. Yacht companies wish to sell yachts. Publishing houses wish to sell books. People frying a hamburger on an AMEL wish to sell a video of that experience. Will I pay for that? Nope. If people wish to upload home videos to YouTube, then please have at it. If other people wish to "financially support" strangers that take in approximately $50K a month by uploading "hamburger cooking" home videos, that's fine. I don't feel the need to support strangers who are running around on beaches drinking, and "obtaining" expensive boats. I'd rather spend my money on my drinks, and my boats. Ps; I know how the Internet works. Thanks.
Well good. Now you can address the factually incorrect statement of the "free" boat.
Old 14-04-2017, 23:43   #65

Just want to add one final thing. I am watching these people, and I will continue to watch these people. I want to see how this pans out. If it truly becomes a long-term dependable and even more profitable business model, as opposed to eventually dying off, then I'm going to "join in". Not by giving people "support" money, but by taking THIER support money. What great fun. People paying me to sail around in the tropics. Cool. I suspect that many of them also have a lucrative ($$$) secret side business, as do I. Thus, why not also rake in some "home video" money as I sail around in the tropics running my other home Internet business? Sounds great. I won't shave, and I'll act "poor". "Please help us, you great bros!" "Please buy us a beer!"

I'll be watching.
Old 14-04-2017, 23:54   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just want to add one final thing. I am watching these people, and I will continue to watch these people. I want to see how this pans out. If it truly becomes a long-term dependable and even more profitable business model, as opposed to eventually dying off, then I'm going to "join in". Not by giving people "support" money, but by taking THIER support money. What great fun. People paying me to sail around in the tropics. Cool. I suspect that many of them also have a lucrative ($$$) secret side business, as do I. Thus, why not also rake in some "home video" money as I sail around in the tropics running my other home Internet business? Sounds great. I won't shave, and I'll act "poor". "Please help us, you great bros!" "Please buy us a beer!"

I'll be watching.
Im disappointed that you could not retract your definitive statement of a free boat...

To validate the reality, here is the episode where the purchase is mentioned..

go to 3:06........ a good deal? Of course but they are purchasing the vessel.
Old 15-04-2017, 00:20   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Im disappointed that you could not retract your definitive statement of a free boat...

To validate the reality, here is the episode where the purchase is mentioned..

go to 3:06........ a good deal? Of course but they are purchasing the vessel.
OK, I'll chime back in. You're missing my point. Regardless of the cost, where is the MONEY coming from? Yes, you're right! It's coming from OTHER people. Don't get me wrong, as it's a VERY cool business model. As I stated, I'll continue to be watching their monthly "patron" income ($$$). Not a joke. It's very interesting that complete strangers, 99.999% of whom you will NEVER meet, will send you money to be on permanent vacation. That's pretty damn "dandy"! To me, and probably to them also, it did not matter WHAT it cost. Internet strangers paid for it, if it did cost anything. Thus, it was FREE! Also, believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. It's a very wise old saying.

Now thinking up the name for our YouTube sailing channel. My wife is "hot", and the "patrons" are gonna love her! Yippee.
Old 15-04-2017, 01:28   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, I'll chime back in. You're missing my point. Regardless of the cost, where is the MONEY coming from? Yes, you're right! It's coming from OTHER people. Don't get me wrong, as it's a VERY cool business model. As I stated, I'll continue to be watching their monthly "patron" income ($$$). Not a joke. It's very interesting that complete strangers, 99.999% of whom you will NEVER meet, will send you money to be on permanent vacation. That's pretty damn "dandy"! To me, and probably to them also, it did not matter WHAT it cost. Internet strangers paid for it, if it did cost anything. Thus, it was FREE! Also, believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. It's a very wise old saying.

Now thinking up the name for our YouTube sailing channel. My wife is "hot", and the "patrons" are gonna love her! Yippee.
Gosh..

Reality check.. OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR WHATEVER WE BUY. Its called income. Even interest on money comes from other people.

Permanent vacation? Have you ANY idea how long it takes to produce 5 minutes of watchable video? We produce medical videos for our clinics and it takes hours out of our day... One of our employed techs in the USA is also a videohead and he has kindly offered his time to do a lot of the grunt work for us... he accepts payment for 20 hours work but we know he puts in double that because he loves it.. (He also likes the Christmas Bonus we give... )

These guys have to go about their business with a camera permanently attached to their hands.... then sit and edit hours of shots into small segments for viewing.... I WOULD NOT DO IT.... but am happy for others to do it and to contribute for their hard work.

I support a couple of YOUTUBE channels myself. NOT boating related. Why? Because I support their efforts and because Id miss them if through lack of time and funds they had to quit...

I support a number of medical clinics in other countries to help them. I have not met half the drs. Why? First it fulfils a need in me to assist. Secondly, I enjoy it...

YOUTUBE is the ultimate business model. It take personality and quality to incite people to support a channel through gift giving.... Its not all about physical beauty....
Old 15-04-2017, 01:42   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This guy makes amazing films.

https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sa...the-ktl-films/

The future for the KTL films now the boat has been sold

I am now resigned to the fact that sailing in Scotland in 2017 has gone down the toilet with the sale of my last ever Centaur.
It was the first time in a life time of boat owning that I have sold a boat I really wanted to keep. The plan was to use it for the outer Hebrides, St Kilda, Colonsay, Islay, Jura and around the outside of Ireland.I knew I needed a boat with a completely reliable engine – Lily M was the boat for that job.
Last year I sailed through the winter at Mylor and then took the boat with two friends to Skye where I based myself in Plockton and ranged around the North West for the summer. and most of the winter. It was a pricey year afloat.
Last year the taps brought in £5K – I spent £6.6 K on diesel for boat and car, car servicing and moorings and pontoons. I spent three months on a mooring to save money.
Actually lads that was bloody dangerous – being on a mooring where no-one was about and arriving and departing at stupid hours either before or after a 14 hour drive was pretty damn dangerous. I had two near misses when no-one would be about to save me. I had a life jacket on but one was bloody frightening. Old sailors die in dinghies not at sea.

bloody dangerous. KTL is great – but not worth dying for
Scotland is both the roughest and coldest place to sail in Britain and also the most beautiful. You and the boat need to be well prepared and in good condition if you are to get the best out of these amazing year round sailing grounds.
Those winter skies are just unbelievable. The half winter I had up there was glorious.

I am desperate to get back to scotland while I am still fit and can hold a camera steady- who knows what will happen to my health.
So far so good and no worries. I pass my tests – but you start to count the years. The fit years.
I am hoping to film these beautiful wild places while I am still fit and not a danger to myself or those around me.
You guys know I love to sail in new places – that is what does it for me. I sailed on an inland lake for a few years – drove me bloody bonkers. Sailing Katie L up and down the deben will be fine but I will be bored to death by mid may.
I have enough material in the can for 12 more films about the journey down the West Coast of Scotland. They will be a fairly cohesive narrative down the left hand side of this wonderfully crinkly country. In my terms nothing more than a snapshot of a place – hardly any islands for starters.
I have missed much much more than I ever saw.
I want to go back, I want to make those films, I want to ride those tides, I want to film those beaches.I want to tell you blokes what it is like.
To do a good job of telling you what it is like to go out sailing there in every month of the year but I cannot make films on thin air and the good will of freeloaders who have devoted many, many hours of their precious time to watching and enjoying the films – but without, as yet, chipping in.
My films are the best shot, most thoughtful, informative, witty sailing films anywhere on the web. If KTL falls by the wayside the only well produced sailing series will be the bikini shows featuring pulchitudinous i girls sailing soap bubbles around washing up bowls wearing not many clothes while emoting at dolphins.
To watch the bikini babes whne Jill is in ther oomis just too embarrasing for words. My films are suitable for family viewing.
We pay for other digital things – box sets, netflix, maybe even for cable or sjye – itunes or spotify. You pay for the entertainment not for the costs involved in the top gear blokes smashing up perfectly good card or for the furs worn in game of thrones series 4.
Please gentlemen, I beg of you, not to pay me money because you think it will help some jowly old Englishman to take a future boat to a future place – or for the modest achievement of an old bloke sailing a well found boat in a tough place .

Watch the next 12 films and just make the decision on whether or not and how much to pay on a film by film basis purely on the entertainment value to you.

Forget the costs involved of making the films. They are of as little importance as the price of Sir Micks bus ticket to a Rolling Stones concert at the Albert hall or the value of the paint applied by Picasso to a piece of canvas. The value to the viewer is what counts.
If you watched a film and then thought about it the next morning then maybe tap me some cash in appreciation for the fun you had watching it.
If, on the other hand, you thought it was an utter waste of time and “why the heck did I sit through that drivel” then pay nothing.
Send me an email saying why it was a worthless piece of crud.
if however, it filled half an hour for you and you now feel more relaxed about more important things such as what the heck were the Americans thinking when they elected Donald Trump, then that might be worth a couple of bucks and comment via paypal.
If, on the other hand, it was bloody brilliant – well tap me a bit more. – not for the future boat but for the experience you have just shared with me via the lens of my camera on my boat . If you went for a sail with a friend for a day you would not turn up empty handed – you would bring some beer, or a mars bar each
One bloke from the States sent me $200. I sent an email back asking why.
This is what he said.
“Over the years I have been downloading all your films and I watch them in the morning with my coffee because the news is so horrible. I was mortified when I discovered that you had sold your boat. I thought you would be there forever. I assumed that you did not need any money.
I think that I had rationalised not tapping you anything because, in my head, you were some sort of eccentric English millionaire philanthropist genius amateur film maker who thought that sailing a crap boat to interesting places was cooler than sailing a good one. I realise this was a way of me justifying not giving any money to a friend I had been sailing with for many miles and over several years. When I heard you had sold the boat I realised that it was partly my fault so I sent the money for the eight DVD sets sitting on my hard drive.”

let me take you sailing to some remarkable places.
Thanks Gents
Onwards and Upwards
Old 15-04-2017, 02:18   #70

The most popular and entertaining to watch are the naive noobs who have bought a live aboard cruiser are doing it and problem solving on the way. Having loads of fun, gaining loads of experience and ending up very good sailors. Not to mention travelling to some amazing places. Yes naive noobs. Just like the ones who get torn apart and roasted on here when they ask questions about doing it. Usually by frustrated armchair admirals who wish they could just up and go.
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]sorry couldn't resist lol
Old 15-04-2017, 02:18   #71

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382

Thanks weavis that looks really interesting [emoji1303]
Old 15-04-2017, 02:20   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was bummed to hear Dylan had to sell his boat.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KeepTurningLeft
Old 15-04-2017, 05:13   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
The most popular and entertaining to watch are the naive noobs who have bought a live aboard cruiser are doing it and problem solving on the way. Having loads of fun, gaining loads of experience and ending up very good sailors. Not to mention travelling to some amazing places. Yes naive noobs. Just like the ones who get torn apart and roasted on here when they ask questions about doing it. Usually by frustrated armchair admirals who wish they could just up and go.
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]sorry couldn't resist lol
I enjoy watching the learning arc of the novice (noob) adventurers, too.

And, I also am amused by people who are not doing something telling the people who are, that they shouldn't and can't.

Man doing something should not be told it cannot be done. Old Chinese Proverb

But, I have a fond spot for Riley and Elayna on Sailing La Vagabonde because they got us back out cruising. We were watching their early videos when I looked at my wife and said, "We have a perfectly fine 42 foot sloop tied to the dock. Why aren't we out cruising like these two kids?"

Six months later, we were. I'll always be grateful to them for that.
Old 15-04-2017, 05:21   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I enjoy watching the learning arc of the novice (noob) adventurers, too.

And, I also am amused by people who are not doing something telling the people who are, that they shouldn't and can't.

Man doing something should not be told it cannot be done. Old Chinese Proverb

But, I have a fond spot for Riley and Elayna on Sailing La Vagabonde because they got us back out cruising. We were watching their early videos when I looked at my wife and said, "We have a perfectly fine 42 foot sloop tied to the dock. Why aren't we out cruising like these two kids?"

Six months later, we were. I'll always be grateful to them for that.
well done sir.
Old 15-04-2017, 05:26   #75

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:

Have a nice day, amigo!

You keep saying "home movies" but they are more than that. It's more of a documentary. Or reality TV. These "home movies" are highly produced and editing and have superb quality.

I guess you never donate money to a non profit or tip your waiters for good service. What a terrible way to live life.

Some of us choose to reward people for entertaining us. No different than dropping a dollar bill in a street musicians guitar case.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard