Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 23:46   #691

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
OMG,, what a know all !! obviously you have not watched in a long time,, they have now sailed half way accross the pacific , mostly on their own,,, or would you just pass it all off as " beginers luck " !!

Yes.

While the Wynn’s were much more diligent about getting formal instruction on their boat, they are not too much different from many of the other ‘no sailing background, buy a boat, sail away off around the world’ types of people whom we see lots of on YT.

They do not know what they don’t know, and they do know not very much about seamanship. Because that isn’t taught in courses or by watching YT tutorials or vlogs; it is learned, preferably through experience under the guidance of more experienced sailors, and adversity. Neither is found in the Caribbean and Pacific milk run route that they’re on. Does the name ‘Tanda Malaika’ ring any bells? One example is their total reliance on their chart plotter, shown particularly when they were traversing a cut in the Bahamas at night and paying no attention to any other navigation aids.

Please understand, I’m not personally attacking the Wynns. They are a very engaging albeit fastidious couple and they know their middle American travelogue audience well. From our advanced ages of 50 we refer to them as ‘the puppies’ and mostly enjoy catching up on their episodes. We’re looking forward to meeting them when they make their way over to our part of the Pacific.
Old 18-02-2019, 00:13   #692

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

This is a funny discussion.

What is an experienced sailor? Is it a landlubber paying for courses and having all the theory with no solo sea miles under the belt? Is it a crew member stewarding guests, scrubbing the deck and lubing the engines and following instructions but never having to make any navigational decisions as skipper?

In my opinion you are sort of right and wrong. You need a solid theory base on the rules and on navigation, you need some feeling what weather forecasts mean and how wrong they can be and you need practical skills to improvise and fix things along the journey with material you have or you can grab.

The most important thing is to be actually in charge and on the water, be the decision maker and cope with the consequences. And after lots of trouble and fun you become a salty sailor. It is not only about papers and certificates only, and it does not matter how you learned the theory. What counts are the decisions you make based on the data you have and how prepared you are.

In many cases the Wynns and all the others make it right. They learn the basics, start local and grow with the challenges. They use their own gear and risk all they own, so responsibility is not limited to the deductibles on the charter insurance.
Old 18-02-2019, 00:17   #693

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
This is a funny discussion.

What is an experienced sailor? Is it a landlubber paying for courses and having all the theory with no solo sea miles under the belt? Is it a crew member stewarding guests, scrubbing the deck and lubing the engines and following instructions but never having to make any navigational decisions as skipper?

In my opinion you are sort of right and wrong. You need a solid theory base on the rules and on navigation, you need some feeling what weather forecasts mean and how wrong they can be and you need practical skills to improvise and fix things along the journey with material you have or you can grab.

The most important thing is to be actually in charge and on the water, be the decision maker and cope with the consequences. And after lots of trouble and fun you become a salty sailor. It is not only about papers and certificates only, and it does not matter how you learned the theory. What counts are the decisions you make based on the data you have and how prepared you are.

In many cases the Wynns and all the others make it right. They learn the basics, start local and grow with the challenges. They use their own gear and risk all they own, so responsibility is not limited to the deductibles on the charter insurance.
I agree 100%.
Old 18-02-2019, 07:07   #694

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Too much boat? It's only a Leopard 42 which is easily handled by a couple. I think the Wynn's have done better at learning than most and made very few mistakes compared to others.They have learned a lot in a short time.

Their obsession with perfect hair, clothing and food is irritating though. Little uptight.
I wonder what Mr Heron would have to say about my 48 foot cat that I sometimes singlehand?

I've run into Jason & Nikki a couple of times. We took them out to dinner in Ft Lauderdale when they were at Just Cats for their second run at the refit. Ran into them again when I was making the crossing to Bimini and they were making their escape. I saw a familiar looking Leopard to my port as we approached Cat Cay, and chatted with Nikki for a few minutes on the vhf. I can assure you they're anything but uptight. The perfect hair, perfect clothes, and perfect food is a persona they keep up for their audience. Their business model (successful YT channels are a business) is to put their travels in the best possible light. They do touch on the hardship once in a while, but that's not what they're selling. There's a very limited audience for ugly people tied up in an industrial port, eating beans and rice, and bitching about fixing the damn boat all the time. We all know what the reality is, but it's hard to make a living filming that.
Old 18-02-2019, 09:04   #695

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

... not sure about that. Remember the grumpy cat video?
Old 18-02-2019, 09:32   #696

My favourite channel at the moment is Sailing Nahoa. Great sense of humour and the video editing is just superb.

Really well done.
Old 21-02-2019, 22:56   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
I stopped watching them for other reasons - They seemed to be on "happy pills" all the time - always smiling, always happy. We all know cruising isn't like that and along with grating voices, it just did my head in. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy!
You would just Love Sailing Nandji - Frothlyfe
Old 22-02-2019, 13:14   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
youtube..

Sailing Vessel Prism
Sailing Nervous
White Spot Pirates
Rick Moore
Geoff Waller
Sailing Nandji
Couch Sailors..
Drake Paragon. one of the first on youtube..
I am enjoying watching sailing nandji. They have a dog on board :-) and get into some interesting situations. Also bums on a boat should be good when they get back into the water.
Old 22-02-2019, 18:00   #699

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
My favourite channel at the moment is Sailing Nahoa. Great sense of humour and the video editing is just superb.

Really well done.
Agreed. Quality stuff.
Old 23-02-2019, 15:31   #700

Quote:

Really well done.
Second that - really great videos!
Old 23-02-2019, 19:28   #701

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Free Range Sailing is right up there at the top of my list these days.
Old 24-02-2019, 09:11   #702

I enjoy this forum even though I rarely post and usually binge read when I get a chance and last night this thread got caught up in the binge. I made it all the way through, while withholding comment, but the haters just seem to keep popping up. We all know these people in real life. They are employees, family, fellow church members, school friends, and even sometimes siblings. They don't think anybody can do better than them without having luck, outside help, rich parents and so on. It only takes a very short conversation to determine someones level of success. Not wealth, but the knowledge that they took on the greatest challenge of their life and won. Those that lost or didn't take it on at all usually lash out at those that did. I have been blessed to be friends with lots of wildly successful people and they are all very hard workers, very giving and very happy to see others succeed. I also know many people that have come up short of their goals, whether monetarily or otherwise, that will always find fault in those that are more successful and seek ways to justify their lack of success by claiming the successful had some assistance somehow. I have come to learn that this is just a fact of life, but also a road map to success. Make all you can, save all you can, give all you can, never blame others for your condition and it's not lonely at the top if you bring others up with you.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:25   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I would guess the catamaran manufacturer felt this was good advertising. The young couple will now just have to tell us how "vastly superior" the catamaran design is. Well....a million dollar sailboat would have also been a large upgrade.

Catamaran is a nice design in many ways. I see two problems for the normal, global sailor:
1) Price
2) Good luck if it winds up upside down.

This may, or may not, have a happy ending. Being on a million dollar catamaran may wind up in a large loss in viewership. Conversely, it could wind up in numerous catamaran sales. Perhaps both.

EDIT: Can't help but wonder if the gift would have been made without the drop dead beauty of the young lady. Perhaps.....200,000 viewers is a lot.

It’s wasn’t a gift but was very discounted and they were assisted in getting European financing for the difference. Their subscriber count is still climbing.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:30   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post
LOUD MUSIC,

Thanks for confirming what I thought. The builder was smart to capitalize on their popularity.

I would have likely never gone to see Outremer boats last month at the Miami Boat show if it weren’t for their contribution to SLV. I’m relatively new to this sailing thing, we are just learning & shopping.

And we were lucky enough to meet one of our faves in the boat....Riley!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0224.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	187367
Old 06-03-2019, 07:04   #705

A while back I unsubscribed to about 6 channels including SLV, Doodles and others I'd watched from the very start. I lost interest after their cruising style and new/bigger boats/budgets became unrelatable to anything could ever afford. I watched maybe 5 minutes of one episode of Wynns and never subscribed. I'm still hooked on Tulas, Uma, Satori, Bora Bora, Learning the lines, Abandon Comfort, Millenial Falcon, Shaun & Julia.

Also, the Delos instagram announced Kazza is pregenant this morning so I wonder what will happen with that channel.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard