Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 15:08   #601

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Delos does it with a loan on the boat.

I seriously doubt that is even remotely true. With the number of subscribers and Patreons and advertisers onboard Delos I believe Capt. Brian and his Bro Brady rake in upwards of $350k annually second to La Vagabond who make slightly more. This has been documented and discussed on several forums. And btw the content they produce is worth every penny. I love my Friday nights with Delos.
Old 27-08-2018, 23:48   #602

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
I seriously doubt that is even remotely true. With the number of subscribers and Patreons and advertisers onboard Delos I believe Capt. Brian and his Bro Brady rake in upwards of $350k annually second to La Vagabond who make slightly more. This has been documented and discussed on several forums. And btw the content they produce is worth every penny. I love my Friday nights with Delos.
I believe Delos makes more than La Vagabonde, and La Vagabonde makes north of $350K. Brian also had the boat paid for before he ever left the dock.
Old 28-08-2018, 00:07   #603

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

https://youtu.be/lAD6Obi7Cag

It is interesting to watch this sentiment come full circle. Dire Straits, wrote a compelling song about the way technology was affecting the music industry. Somehow I found this appropriate here.
Old 28-08-2018, 07:20   #604

Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Brian also had the boat paid for before he ever left the dock.
Not that it matters much, but that is just false according to Brian. Where do these ideas come from? He actually left the dock with a 20 year marine mortgage on the boat and an estimated 24 months of cruising kitty to go from Seattle to New Zealand, and a modest 401(k) for emergencies. The vlogger money did not come rolling in until several years after that.

Old 28-08-2018, 10:48   #605

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Check out "How to Sail Oceans" on YouTube. A true sailor with a low key approach. One of my favorites.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 28-08-2018, 12:07   #606

I watch RAN and Zingaro and like their channels because I don’t see either of the channels stopping as sailing is who those people are. There are little things they do differently because of this and it sets them apart from the other live aboards
Old 02-09-2018, 23:19   #607

Zingaro?
That channel collects many episodes of all the horrible beginner mistakes of shakey video, bad audio, lack of color correction... BUT (that’s a big but)... they sail in cool places. I’m in. I’m easy.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Zingaro?
That channel collects many episodes of all the horrible beginner mistakes of shakey video, bad audio, lack of color correction... BUT (that’s a big but)... they sail in cool places. I’m in. I’m easy.
And, he’s funny as hell!
Old 11-09-2018, 15:56   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
They make more than enough money, but are lacking a couple of critical pieces to make a bank happy. First is the YouTube business. I don't think most banks know what you think of it. Underwriters have no idea how to assess the stability of it, and the likelihood of continued income. Not enough data, and they'll pass. Second is the lack of an address. Banks don't like not knowing how to find you. Third is the lack of a similar large boat loan for a history. I make more money than R&E, have a normal business, have an address, and an exceptional credit score. When I was looking at buying a boat for charter, they declined the loan on a 47, but would do a 44. They had an arbitrary threshold for how much they would loan a first time yacht buyer, and the 47 exceeded it.

Now imagine R&E going to the bank with their situation. Three year old YouTube business that's only been making real money for a year, no address, never bought a yacht on credit before, and probably have used credit very sparingly over their lives resulting in a lack of solid payment history. They needed a cosigner.
A big part of the risk management is the size of the DOWNPAYMENT as well. If anyone was putting down 50% they could probably finance a $5M yacht as the first boat.

It also has to do if someone has ever had a MORTGAGE in their history that's the size (or was more) than the requested boat loan.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:41   #610

I'm starting to find all these new pop up channels quite offensive. It's your third episode and you're already begging for money on patreon, selling shirts, and asking for likes?

I swear I'm about to put on my orange vest, and start yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
Old 22-10-2018, 21:51   #611

Thoughts ?
I can Not wait to see what - PortClydeMe - has to say about this
Old 22-10-2018, 22:11   #612

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

No matter what folks say about these great folks I would rather pay and watch their channels than the crap that currently comes out of the large media providers. Have you taken a look at TV recently - it is dreadful.
Old 22-10-2018, 22:52   #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Thoughts ?
I can Not wait to see what - PortClydeMe - has to say about this
Wow.
That was the most tone-deaf, sanctimonious rant I've seen in quite some time. These two hypocritical wankers have gone off the deep end, whining about cruise ships. I'm no fan of cruise ships, but to sit on your crowd-funded fancy catamaran and spout this condescending malarkey takes some serious stupidity and bad juju. It's hard to determine if they were ALWAYS shady people, or just lately miscreant. He DID recently hit his head, and she IS pregnant... so maybe that can help us sort which is which, regarding the obvious dumb and dumber puzzle.
Old 22-10-2018, 22:59   #614

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Wow.
That was the most tone-deaf, sanctimonious rant I've seen in quite some time. These two hypocritical wankers have gone off the deep end, whining about cruise ships. I'm no fan of cruise ships, but to sit on your crowd-funded fancy catamaran and spout this condescending malarkey takes some serious stupidity and bad juju. It's hard to determine if they were ALWAYS shady people, or just lately miscreant. He DID recently hit his head, and she IS pregnant... so maybe that can help us sort which is which, regarding the obvious dumb and dumber puzzle.
Can't agree with you, have you ever seen the impact these behemoths have on communities and the trolls who travel on them.

Too many folks rant about "Freedom of Speech" but when it goes against their own views they are quick to slam others who's opinion differ from them.

Good on them for funding their live style this way no different than the rest of us and I know it is really hard work sailing and doing all the filming.
Old 23-10-2018, 00:37   #615

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Well, I must confess, I am watching them occasionally. The videos from their beginning were of lower quality, but much more interesting than the latest stuff they produce. It looks more like a duty / job than like fun.

As long as there is somebody willing to pay per video as patron - well that is his business and his money.

The vloggers do know, that the videos become boring and similar over time, because not much surprising happens any more, so they look for other goodies to attract patrons, like merchandising or invitations on board / lottery of crew opportunities etc. (what is not always fun either if you have to commit to schedules and entertain guests for free or close to free).

It looks like begging - and it is some how - but it is also hard work, Patreon is not a one time contribution, but a weekly or monthly commitment - and you have to provide something on a regular base to keep the money coming - so it is a PAID JOB.

And yes, cruise ships are annoying for "normal" tourists and sailors, we try to avoid them if possible. But mass-tourism in silos and over-crowded beaches are also annoying and possibly even worse to the environment. Imagine this 5000 people would add permanently to one place for a week or two instead of living most of the time in a comfortable container somewhere remote on the sea. I mean most of the time a cruise ship is under way, they are very limited time in a harbor for a few hours. That is better than having this crowd permanently there. People produce waste, and it will end up in the ocean whether you are on a cruise ship or on land in that regions, because this countries do not care much about waste management. It is a general problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard