Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2018, 05:22   #556

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
As long as you enjoy what you are doing, it is not a rat race, but fun. Sailing can be an addiction too...

Even being lazy all day long can be addictive.

Just keep doing what makes you happy...
Yep. In cruising, as in life, there are many paths to happiness. Not everyone is on the same one.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12   #557

Here is a top25 of Sailing YouTube channels:
https://blog.moorspots.com/
Old 03-05-2018, 16:53   #558

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercaster View Post
Here is a top25 of Sailing YouTube channels:
https://blog.moorspots.com/
Is this your website?

Pete
Old 03-05-2018, 17:35   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
And while I no longer watch them I can imagine Riley prefers shooting video more than working on a North Sea oil rig.

Absolutely.

Plus, he gets to hang out with his dreamy girlfriend in exotic locales, and has a lot of control over where he goes.

They work pretty hard at it. I tune in here and there. They're very likeable folks, it seems, and not atypical of the sort you find in marinas all over the world. They put a lot of effort into their production. It's reality TV, with both the pros and cons of that genre.
Old 03-05-2018, 21:58   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Is this your website?

Pete
No I just used google . I found another website as well:
https://blog.feedspot.com/sailing_youtube_channels/

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2018, 22:19   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Is this your website?

Pete
No I just used google . I found another website as well:
https://blog.feedspot.com/sailing_youtube_channels/

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2018, 20:28   #562

Work hard. Be in the right place at the right time with appropriate resources and the dream and ability to see it through. Instagram #sailingdeathstar
Old 26-06-2018, 16:53   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Fata Morgana - Comes across as carefree but educated and disciplined. I detect much love. Edited and narrated by 13 yr old daughter. Very talented.
+1
I have yet to see a sailing vlog with better moving images from the Marquesas, than those posted by Fata Morgana. While the camera work might be a bit jumpy here and there, they have done very well in capturing the truly SPECTACULAR scenery of Fatu Hiva, Hiva'Oa, Tahuata, Nuku Hiva, around episodes 8-11. This family journey on a Leopard 38 is more about the islands than the sailing, but enchanting nonetheless.
Old 15-07-2018, 11:12   #564

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quick plug for Matt and Paige on Living with the Tide. Very entertaining young couple from northern England with matching accents and a down to earth approach to life.

Old 24-07-2018, 19:27   #565

I think what many people miss is that YouTube is the NEW TV.

An entire generation of kids now don't really care to watch much TV... instead they watch hours upon hours of YouTube videos.

It's also the "democratization" TV/movie production... where filming gear (and editing systems) has gotten so much cheaper and the quality so much better.

Back to the sailing YT stars...

These are the NEW TV stars. Monetization models are still being figured out, but there are now many YouTubers (not necessarily sailing ones) that are earning over $1,000,000 PER YEAR in income from producing YouTube videos. The most popular YouTubers (most of them gamers) are now earning over $10M PER YEAR. Incredible.

From recent estimates, I believe La Vagabond and Delos are now earning close to about $50K/month from their online efforts. AND... GOOD FOR THEM!

I hope they begin to make $1M+/year, and I hope many others end up following in their footsteps and making a great living too.

These sailing YouTubers SHOULD get paid. Their videos have been collectively watched over ONE BILLION views. If you just combined the 'reach' and viewership of all the top YT sailing channels you'd exceed the reach of many niche cable TV channels/shows -- many of which make millions from advertising.

If TV actors can earn millions in salary, then solid YouTubers (that create their own distribution & audience) should easily make 6-figures+/year.
Old 25-07-2018, 00:08   #566

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Most channels make their money by Patreon, Youtube is their advertizing network.

Some use patreon as subscription based lottery, you can win a week sailing, if you support them monthly.

Nothing wrong with that, except in some countries lottery is regulated and heavily taxed - and private gambling against the law.

Without any revenue they woud not make the effort, so keep going.
Old 25-07-2018, 00:50   #567

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

So I haven't actually plugged us here yet, but I may as well throw my hat into the ring:

We're Davi, Kitty and Cristina, 3 thirty-somethings in a 12-year-long-term poly triad just setting out on a grand adventure with our three kittens onboard! Setting sail in October from Italy, all the way to the middle of the South Pacific to meet the huge total solar eclipse happening above Easter Island next July, and filming it all not just for a YouTube series, but for a feature documentary as well. We're just getting going with our YTChannel and various pages and blogs, but are getting a great response so far. Finding sponsors who like who we are and what we're about has been great fun, and they keep coming out of the woodwork, so that's encouraging.

We're a fairly neat bunch if I do say so myself: I've traveled around 80+ countries by foot, motorcycle, 1977 VW bus, and can sail (obvs), dive, ride horses, ski, had a book published in the US, played jazz piano in dives all around Sydney, and once came second in the world in billiard trick shots so if you see me, definitely challenge me to a game My wife Kitty is a professional philosopher of science, has also had a book published, has also traveled a whole lot, and is a riot after a few drinks. Cristina is our partner of many years, a Russian girl who speaks 6 languages fluently and can fix anything...I'm talking the Russian kind of "fixing", not the mechanical. And our kittens are, well, idiots. But, like the girls, they are beautiful, and they love to sail, so that's apparently all the criteria I need

We got our hands on a big old Super Maramu (yes, exactly like Delos, but hey, they're amazing boats!), and will work our way around the world after the eclipse filming everything and having a great time. And yes, we are also going to do the Patreon thing.... you know how much good video stuff costs??? But in exchange defo doing the Crewing Opportunities giveaways too, so if you're anywhere between Italy and the Galapagos, you could come sail with us if you help us out with the videos.... what's unfair about that? Just gotta love kittens and naked girls (sorry, they're mine, but looking is allowed )

Also, currently trying to hook up with any Pacific garbage projects, cause that stuff is NASTY.... if y'all know any (monitoring, support, delivery, whatever), hit me up!

Our official partyline:

Three cats and three queers in love with life, living and each other, sailing together around the world on the good ship Wake. Our catchy mission: Chasing Atlantis... Finding the lost ideal in the wind, waves and the endless summer with Kitty (Cat wrangler and Philosopher-in-Chief), Cristina (Fixer, Commander of nudity and possibly Russian spy), and Davi (Captain of cursing, the wet bar, and occasionally the boat). Our more realistic mission: Three ordinary people trying to make a life together in a different way while not killing each other on a small sailboat as kittens poop in our shoes. Join us as we cast off the lines of convention and society, hoist our sails and take to the high seas to meet strange new people, find amazing places, dive, cook, drink (lots of drinking). Hell, we even play Canasta if the mood is right! What more could you ask for ... pretty much anything that makes life fun is fair game for us. After all, as the Chinese say: Enjoy yourself! It's later than you think.

Find us (and friend us!) on:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/anendles...=page_internal

https://anendlesswake.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8e...sWHVAgga1grCtA

IG: @sywake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180623_103438-01-01.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	174285   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10216459614302907-01-01.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	174286  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	174287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1674-01.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	174288  

Name:	IMG_1782-01.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	174289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161022_151724-01-01.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	174290  

Name:	37354273_949000585272714_2710315876367728640_n.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	174291  
Old 26-07-2018, 21:39   #568

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
We'd rather keep our money in our wallet, and let YouTubers upload whatever videos they wish to upload. Then, we watch their home movies for free, which is the natural agenda for watching Youtube videos, and keep our money. It's a great thing. We love it.

It's great that you support them with their "views " numbers---so at least they DO benefit a little from you with your participation.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53   #569

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

I have a few channels that I regularly watch, many others that I swing by from time to time. I am mostly interested in the people that did it on a shoestring budget.

Sailing Uma
Project Atticus
Saillife
A Sailboat Story

And now SampsonBoatCo.

I have watched Delos, Vagabond and some of the others... but they are way out of my league. I'm not that interested in a rolling rum fest, or beautiful people on a 50' Cat.

Here's why I watch who I watch.

Sailing Uma. I like how they progressed. They have done quite a bit of work to their boat, including installing a homebuilt electric motor. Their projects appeal to me. Dan rode out Hurricane Matthew at anchor in Haiti and documented it! Impressive the amount of prep work he did, and documented his 2 day ordeal. They had very little money to start out, but their video content is very entertaining and compelling (at least to me). They now seem to be earning a fair bit of money from Patreon, and I hope that doesn't negatively effect their video content.

Project Atticus - I started watching these guys because they bought an Allied Seabreeze 32 (a boat that I am also interested in). Their early videos, documenting the work they did on this boat in the Keys were short and poorly produced... but the DIY was informative and interesting. Their video production has skyrocketed! But they are low on money, so they have been working on OPB's to earn money. Their skills in sewing and fiberglass work are now very impressive. Jordan just completed a hard dodger that he made from scratch, and it turned out beautifully... something that I would consider building.

SailLife - Mads is just... a great guy! He is refitting a 1980's Warrior 38, that was in pretty bad shape. His channels is almost solely DIY. His videos are fun and entertaining, he has such a positive attitude even in the face of daunting setbacks.

A Sailboat Story - These guys are great Ben is hilarious! He and his wife have a 5ish year old daughter that steals the show. Having a 3yo boy myself, I am fascinated at all the experiences they share with their daughter Molly. I can't think of a better environment to a child to experience. They are currently back home working day jobs to repair and set out again.

Yes, I do support them on Patreon, but I myself am saving for a boat, so my contribution is very modest. But I feel that I have gotten my money's worth. I have learned and enjoyed from them, and IMO, there contribution is no less significant than the books that I've purchased on the subject, or the $$$, I spent on sailing lessons...

The last one, I just discovered from a SailLife live chat. Sampson Boat Co - This is a young guy who bought a 108 year old, historic sailing yacht, and is essentially rebuilding it from the keel up! It's an incredible undertaking and fascinating to see how much effort is involved in restoring a wooden boat of that size. He has massive stacks of live oak planks that he is going to be shaping into a new boat, based off of the original plans. He has given me a new appreciation for wooden boats... as well as a greater appreciation for fiberglass as a hull material!

I watch a few others, but not with the zeal or interest that I watch the above channels.
- Follow the boat, is interesting at times, but I don't like the way he teases and pesters the hired hands...
- Sailing Doodles, well... it started off interesting, but his channel turned into chasing girls... Now he is on a 10 month boat delivery aboard a 50+ foot Beneteau, and now that he's got a girlfriend, his doodles are left at home. His original 35' boat was wrecked by a hurricane in Puerto Rico, and he doesn't even mention it. He's moving on to some charter gig in Thailand with his girlfriend. Well, lets just say, he's lost focus... for me. I'm no longer into what he's doing.

- Abandon Comfort. Now This just got interesting! They sold their 30ish footer and bought a 20' Pac Seacraft Flicka as their new liveaboard! They wanted a blue water trailer sailor. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

- Miss Lonestar. I am impressed by her perseverance, but I don't like that most of her video content isn't available without paying for it!

- Drake Paragon... again. I am disappointed that his content is over 3 years old. If you want to know what he's up to, you gotta pay. I think a better business model would be to keep his YT channel current, and offer up a few exclusive vids to his patreons. His content was better than many, more successful YT channels, I feel that is because his content isn't anywhere even CLOSE to realtime... that kinda puts me off.

ANYWAY, I'm ranting... but my research on boats has led me down the YouTube rabbit hole. And you sorta get caught up in actually caring about these people. They are REAL people, and they have real issues. Their future isn't scripted, so it's much more compelling than watching a TV show. It is informative content that is also entertaining as hell!

Anyway... I absolutely love YouTube and I love the fact that anyone doing ANYTHING that is of value or interest to others, can put together a channel, apply a ton of effort, an make some money. Certainly nothing wrong with that. In fact, I support it! literally.

I would much rather watch YT than almost anything on TV anymore.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36   #570

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I have been watching various youtube liveaboard videos for a few months. These series seem to constantly pop up for viewing:
* The Vagabond couple. The real star are the eyes of the young lady. How did that young buck come up with the cash for that yacht and endless voyage anyway? Again, the real treasure is his lovely co-star.
* The SVVelos crew. Once again, how did that young man buy that 52' yacht and endless voyage? I think it even has a scuba tank compressor.
* Followtheboat. Middle aged couple with 42' boat. This one seem real. He was a DJ so their audio quality is always very good. They focus on education about liveaboard challenges.
* EmeraldSteel. Another trip into a fantasy world. She somehow maintains an amazing middle aged figure. We are left to wonder if this is due to exercise or genetics. He was a home builder and can make a huge ships mast with a knife and saw (an exaggeration). Their boat is made of steel. Of course he knows how to maintain it himself.
* There are a few single guys doing their liveaboard/sailing thing. Having a hard time competing with the couples I would think.
* There is a new couple from Australia. I hope they make a lot more videos.

Have I been missing the best ones? Who do you like?
Those are all great!
Cara
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard