Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 18:02   #436

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I'll send a little to YouTube videos that accept bitcoin as I don't have to provide my identity and it's super quick and easy. Haven't seen Bitcoin on a sailing video yet though.
Old 28-07-2017, 19:40   #437

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Pete, you cannot trust the time of year by their posts. Many are months behind and they do this on purpose so that if they take a vacation or whatever they can still post vlogs. As an example, SV Delos latest post has them still in the Indian Ocean however they are probably in Brazil by now.

Leaving for Brazil now. They have been on Ascension Island in the middle of the Atlantic for 3 weeks.
Old 28-07-2017, 21:55   #438

Regardless of your views on supporting YouTube creators or not, the latest Delos video is truly amazing. I encourage all to watch it, as there is sailing on a Madagascar piroge, a sailboat with an outrigger.

Old 28-07-2017, 23:03   #439

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Pete, you cannot trust the time of year by their posts. Many are months behind and they do this on purpose so that if they take a vacation or whatever they can still post vlogs.
Why can't they all sail in a temperate climates, that way we can tell the season (and see them freezing their buts off during winter like the rest of us).

Pete
Old 30-07-2017, 10:29   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Regardless of your views on supporting YouTube creators or not, the latest Delos video is truly amazing. I encourage all to watch it, as there is sailing on a Madagascar piroge, a sailboat with an outrigger.

Just another "home movie"
Old 30-07-2017, 11:04   #441

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Haha, were you just getting that in before PCM?

Some seem to think that there are either movies or professional content, nothing in between. Of course it's a nonsense.

I remember years back, watching and enjoying a sci-fi series that was paid for by fans. They could only create another episode once they had enough money. It was far from a home movie. Shows that this kind of stuff was going on long before Patreon, kickstarter and the like.
Old 30-07-2017, 11:42   #442

Absolutely it's nonsense. Delos probably has $50,000 with of camera gear and computers to make their videos.

PS. I should've let sleeping dogs lie. I just couldn't help myself. I apologize when he post a reply.
Old 30-07-2017, 14:34   #443

I enjoy watching Delos. Its far better than any dribble of tv or so called documentary.I fail to understand the animosity towards someone delivering a product that the consumer willfully pays for and enjoys.
Old 30-07-2017, 17:41   #444

Quote:
Yup. A guy from Seattle, his brother from Florida and a girl from Sweden, using at least 50k in camera gear to produce a series of weekly 20 - 30 minute videos in Madagascar. Sure sounds like a home movie. Just several thousand miles from home.

Careful, your bitterness is showing. 😋😋
Old 30-07-2017, 19:45   #445

Quote:
Yup. A guy from Seattle, his brother from Florida and a girl from Sweden, using at least 50k in camera gear to produce a series of weekly 20 - 30 minute videos in Madagascar. Sure sounds like a home movie. Just several thousand miles from home.

Careful, your bitterness is showing.

It's not bitterness. It's a joke.

Read the thread and you will get the cynicism in that post.
Old 30-07-2017, 19:50   #446

Quote:
It's not bitterness. It's a joke.

Read the thread and you will get the cynicism in that post.
Guess I missed the humour. Must be a Canadian thing to appreciate the efforts of others.
Old 31-07-2017, 04:34   #447

Quote:
Guess I missed the humour. Must be a Canadian thing to appreciate the efforts of others.

Nope. Not a Canadian thing. I am with you. I am a patron for a certain sailing channel. I very much appreciate the efforts of these people to produce a video of their sailing experiences.

If you will read the thread you will get it. There is a certain poster on this thread that repeatedly calls YouTube videos, like Delos, "home movies". He does this in an effort to degrade the video and the people who watch it.
Old 31-07-2017, 14:59   #448

She also makes music and sells it I do believe....and he has written a few helpful little ebooks on cruising and what it takes to get into the life.

And, I'm not sure if RAN Sailing was mentioned but they are a couple from Sweden who sailed to the caribbean and are now in the netherlands antilles aboard their custom sailboat.
Old 04-08-2017, 23:15   #449

Hey soft down,

we have just started our adventure with two kids, age 1 and 4 and launched our youtube channel as well as blog. I think the experience of world sailing with kids is very enriching and hope to inspire others. We are Brazilians and started off in the caribbean
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiG...HM9vuUmKxhszHA
#Life_Somewhere➳ - ♦ ➳ Travel, lifestyle & sailboat with two Kids♦ ➳
Old 05-08-2017, 18:37   #450

Boat: Outremer 55L

I guess it's a phase that the social internet is going through - at which point do all the 'had a dream, bought a boat, going sailing around the world to inspire others' patreon grabs go stale?

A new couple on youtube just showed up today - Inspire Sailing. A young couple who have never sailed before (other than a beach catamaran for him). They are from NZ and have bought themselves a Lagoon 420 in Spain. They've flown over and without any hesitation left the marina and are heading west in the Med with plans to cross the Atlantic soon. Home movie quality videos (yes, I did watch them) and apparently at least one patreon already! So people are willing to pay, and I'm guessing it's not always (or even usually?) about the content. Though they have cracked the YouTube code and are showing plenty of shots of her in a skimpy bikini doing stuff around the boat.

Is this what it's like now - "Just Do It" (apparently most successful branding ever)? Even something like sailing across an ocean with no experience and no knowledge of what it takes? All good when things go well, and I guess that's the challenge of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc, in that the lives that those platforms portray have very little to do with real life even when they are purporting to show reality.

How often are even the experienced posters (Delos for example) showing the **** hitting the fan? Nighttime squalls, boats dragging anchors, gear breaking, heck, even passage planning so that they don't hit reefs? Almost never. It's all sunshine and sprinkles and unicorns.

All I can think, "you don't know what you don't know", and it doesn't lower the risk to not have a plan to find out about the unknowns. That's true for all of us, but has greater consequences for the newbies.

I used to do a lot of mountaineering, and in that community the exact same discussions go on about the "new way" that only needs desire and sees no need for apprenticeship.

Hence, I'm a bit jaundiced about stories like the L47 that ran itself onto a reef due to the skipper not knowing what he was doing, then blaming it on the chart presentation. Awful at a human level for the people involved and their loved ones back home, but entirely predictable in general risk terms.

A counter example is Gone with the Wynns (I'm not sure there are any others) - they're super conservative and their plan includes learning before they jump. I guess they have to retain their insurance coverage as I believe they've financed their boat. Though we breathed a sigh of relief when they finally cut the apron strings and set course for Panama, after months and months and months of Florida-Bahamas-Florida-Bahamas etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard