Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 17:30   #331

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
SVDelos passed on the chance to work for a network. He did not want to give up control. I would guess that may be a bit rare though.

Vag seems to be working at alienating part of their base. I would have guessed that contributions would have taken a hit. Am told that is not the case to date.

All of the others put a lot of hard work in for relative peanuts. Though I guess that SVDelos does pretty well. The fact that the best looking couple are raking in the dough speaks to the shallowness of society. Vag is a soap, rarely learned anything.
OK. I'll chime in here, and once again, this is just my opinion.

Chance to work for a "network"? Really? Who wanted them? Any details?

SV-dollars does "pretty well"? I think it's a little better than pretty well. It's more like approximately half a million US dollars per yer ... all for pumping out home movies from a boat. That's $500K per year of money from strangers. That's a little bit better than "pretty well". And, with that aside, it still spins my head why strangers would pay for something that is free to watch. It's YouTube. It's free.

It reminds me of 1971. My brother and I were at a Walmart. While our mom was shopping, my brother and I were tooling around. Suddenly, we noticed some bottles for sale on a shelf ... $0.50 (fifty cents) per bottle. The labels read "Poland Spring Water". We looked at each other and started laughing, and said, simultaneously, "What?!!! People would PAY for water?" "Such nonsense!, water is free!!" "This planet is made of water, why would anyone pay?"

Think about it.

Ps; I think its hilarious that strangers want to help the Vags (you know, the folks with the expensive new French cat) buy a new tender and outboard. Personally, I think "What? You want to help people with an expensive yacht buy a new tender? Really? Hahahahahahah!" "Please do whatever you wish with your money, because those people are laughing ALL the way to the bank!"

Ciao, bellos & bellas!
Old 04-07-2017, 22:12   #332

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
The fact that the best looking couple are raking in the dough speaks to the shallowness of society. Vag is a soap, rarely learned anything.
I'm guessing that many people in this thread are older than the La Vagabond couple. To those of a similar age, their looks aren't particularly important. Anyone in their 20/30s will easily have a friend base of people of looking similar or even better, or look similar or better themselves (or at least think they do).
Old 04-07-2017, 23:49   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfrazier View Post
yeah...

I really liked the La Vagabond story too; and, bless their good fortune.

However, NOW they just seem a proverbial step-away from watching a live-aboard show on "The Rich & Famous" with their million-dollar catamaran and other sponsors. It's still interesting and I do watch the videos; BUT, it's not the "gritty", this-is-how-we-live-aboard-couple that they once were. Things have changed, they have departed from the: "we're average folks and you can do it too" catagory, IMO. (and of course, YES, it's just my opinion)
I haven't seen any of their videos since the catamaran, but I'll check them out soon.

You and quite a few others feel things have changed since the new boat. Is it just because of the boat, or are they acting differently now? Does it seem more scripted?
Old 05-07-2017, 00:13   #334

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I haven't seen any of their videos since the catamaran, but I'll check them out soon.

You and quite a few others feel things have changed since the new boat. Is it just because of the boat, or are they acting differently now? Does it seem more scripted?
It's actually not that much different. And to me seems less scripted, but also more careful in what is shown in edit. Part of the difference is that it's not new to them anymore, and don't have to scrimp. No more swimming ashore because they lost their tender etc...

Since the new videographer came on board some people have been hailing the shots, but it still looks like Elay is filming a lot, and apart from overuse of their wide angle lens, and a few slow-mo shots, it's much the same.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:53   #335

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Turns out that the hammy SailingintoFreedom bloke has degrees in engineering and law. Had a six bedroom home before this life without electricity. I wonder what his real logic is.

Perhaps he has sensitivities to various electrical frequencies? More likely that he knows that Big Brother can watch and listen to most everything when you have modern appliances. Most people do not care, others are offended.
Old 05-07-2017, 13:14   #336

Tula's Endless Summer

Quote:
Perhaps....their vids are alright. But they are just hanging around S Florida instead of cruising the world. Its a different niche.
No doubt. They have been to the Bahamas a few times and are going up the east coast. Both are places we actually go (Bahamas) or want to go (up the east coast).I think the biggest draw for me is they are in a trawler (we just made the conversion from sail to power).

And, their attitude is so good when faced with breakdowns. Makes me feel embarrassed when I complain when cruising.
Old 05-07-2017, 13:54   #337

I still see no reason to fault any of these people for doing what they want and getting paid. I do feel the Vaga is starting out rough. Whereas Delos keeps on steady eddy producing an enjoyable product from far away places. I noticed on their web site they are in the middle of the atlantic right now headed to the west. I wonder where they are headed? I admit I am delos homer.
Old 05-07-2017, 17:45   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
OK. I'll chime in here, and once again, this is just my opinion.

Chance to work for a "network"? Really? Who wanted them? Any details?

SV-dollars does "pretty well"? I think it's a little better than pretty well. It's more like approximately half a million US dollars per yer ... all for pumping out home movies from a boat. That's $500K per year of money from strangers. That's a little bit better than "pretty well". And, with that aside, it still spins my head why strangers would pay for something that is free to watch. It's YouTube. It's free.
Are trying to be deliberately offensive? Being critical of others that chose to support you tubers that produce episodes to view, you fail to recognize the new entertain economy. You don't have to like it or support it but to continually call people who support these creators suckers and fools is just bad manners.

You fail to acknowledge the effort that these producers have to put into creating these videos. You fail to recognize the producers are rewarded on a scale that is often less that you throw out.

I think everyone who has posted on this thread understands you don't spend your money on YouTube or anything else you can view for free. Fine. That's your choice. But please don't denigrate those that chose differently than you.
Old 05-07-2017, 18:19   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Are trying to be deliberately offensive? Being critical of others that chose to support you tubers that produce episodes to view, you fail to recognize the new entertain economy. You don't have to like it or support it but to continually call people who support these creators suckers and fools is just bad manners.

You fail to acknowledge the effort that these producers have to put into creating these videos. You fail to recognize the producers are rewarded on a scale that is often less that you throw out.

I think everyone who has posted on this thread understands you don't spend your money on YouTube or anything else you can view for free. Fine. That's your choice. But please don't denigrate those that chose differently than you.
No. Just my opinion. However, and since you mentioned it, I come from the old school. Pre Internet. In those days, people supported people in need. That's it. UNICEF, Feed the Children, etc. Nothing wrong with that. The disabled. The homeless. The hungry. Whatever. Yet today, people seem to be nuts (again, my opinion).

Had a friend of mine approached me 30 years ago and said something like "Hey bro, I have a cool business idea. Let's take home movies every week, and then ask people -- in fact, strangers -- to pay us money for them. Cool idea, yes?"

I would have replied, and still would reply, "Are you nuts? Who would give money to strangers for home movies? Especially when the people making the movies are not homeless, and have plenty of money? Are you crazy? Nobody would do that."

Times have changed. Interesting. I'll keep my money in my pocket. That's just me.
Old 05-07-2017, 18:20   #340

Boat: Tanzer 22

Not again. We get it. You scream at little kids to get off your lawn.
Old 05-07-2017, 18:22   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Not again. We get it. You scream at little kids to get off your lawn.
No. If the kids are over 12 years old, I'd say "Hey, come here. I'll give you kids $2.00 an hour to mow my lawn." No joke.

hahaha
Old 05-07-2017, 18:28   #342

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Its really quite amazing. There are 1000's of different video series out there with people on Patreon asking for money. Almost every kind of activity you can think of. One theme I have seen is the pitch "we don't make money off this but your contribution helps us buy better recording equipment". I find it quite hilarious.
Old 05-07-2017, 18:29   #343
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

From the earliest single handers who wrote entertaining sailing books to all the sailing blogs and YouTubers, .....we have lived vicariously off of their evolving multi media recordings of "sailing adventure" since Slocum and even Ulysses

Early written forms were mostly Philisophical, informative, imagitive and adventuresome doing "firsts" with a high degree of unknowns and lack of any supporting infrastructure.

Now...The pure "Adventure" element has been greatly diluted by the many who have gone before.
They have inspired worldwide infrastructure industries to support a huge and ever growing number of cruisers..... who reasonably crave controlled adventure but not discomfort.

Technical advances and shared information has created the Catch-22 of world cruising in that the modern Adventure element is often predicated by stupidity or gross inexperience.

So what is produced by the YouTube stars is mostly voyeurism entertainment to be dissected in Forums like this ad infinitum......

Nothing wrong with that, just a comment on the evolution of the sailing scribe and the scarcity of the unknown.
Old 05-07-2017, 18:36   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Its really quite amazing. There are 1000's of different video series out there with people on Patreon asking for money. Almost every kind of activity you can think of. One theme I have seen is the pitch "we don't make money off this but your contribution helps us buy better recording equipment". I find it quite hilarious.
Yeah. Me too!

Or even better, "We don't make money off this, but your contribution helps us buy a new million-dollar yacht, and be on vacation 24 hours a day, every day."

As for those kids on my lawn, had they knocked on my door and stated "Our mom made a home movie, and we'll be very happy if you give us $2.00 for it", I'd have replied "Hey, go home. Your mom needs you to mow the lawn. After that, get a job. Like delivering newspapers. Take care, kids. Tell your mom I said hi."
Old 05-07-2017, 18:42   #345

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Apparently Youtube is promoting the videos with "click bait". I have noticed that some I have watched that don't have "click bait" don't show up in the sidebar.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard