Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 06:59   #316

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I checked out some of the mentioned youtube channels and the sailors surviving on Patreon.

The people who are putting out high quality material are working very hard to make it happen. Shooting/editing video is very time consuming if it is done well, and you need a lot more than just good footage. You need a good storyline.

As far as I am concerned, the stars are working hard thirty plus hours a week to not make very much money. It may keep them sailing, but it probably won't make them rich.

It looks like hard work to me. I congratulate them on their success, but I'm glad that I don't have to do their gig.
Editing video takes intense concentration. Uploading video with spotty internet service is bound to be frustrating. Still....its a great gig for the 1% that are making it work.

I think some amount of work is good for almost all of us.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:20   #317

Boat: Catalina 22 / ... wants a Cat'

yeah...

I really liked the La Vagabond story too; and, bless their good fortune.

However, NOW they just seem a proverbial step-away from watching a live-aboard show on "The Rich & Famous" with their million-dollar catamaran and other sponsors. It's still interesting and I do watch the videos; BUT, it's not the "gritty", this-is-how-we-live-aboard-couple that they once were. Things have changed, they have departed from the: "we're average folks and you can do it too" catagory, IMO. (and of course, YES, it's just my opinion)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:45   #318

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I checked out some of the mentioned youtube channels and the sailors surviving on Patreon.

The people who are putting out high quality material are working very hard to make it happen. Shooting/editing video is very time consuming if it is done well, and you need a lot more than just good footage. You need a good storyline.

As far as I am concerned, the stars are working hard thirty plus hours a week to not make very much money. It may keep them sailing, but it probably won't make them rich.

It looks like hard work to me. I congratulate them on their success, but I'm glad that I don't have to do their gig.
Damn straight. And it's not just the editing. It's the shooting.

Say you want a shot of you coming ashore. You first need to go ahead set up the camera ashore, then take the dinghy back to the boat, then come back to shore, then take down the tripod etc.. Everything takes three times longer or more when you want to video it, even half-heartedly.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41   #319

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post

Teleport's traverse of the North West Passage was epic stuff.

Teleport is rarely listed on these threads - Epic is exactly the right word. The photography/videography is just stunning. It's the only series that I watch over from time to time. The couple is selling the boat and building an eco-resort on Christmas island and running photo tours. But the nw passage and wildlife scenes are Nat Geo quality and timeless.
Old 03-07-2017, 15:05   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfrazier View Post
yeah...

However, NOW they just seem a proverbial step-away from watching a live-aboard show on "The Rich & Famous" with their million-dollar catamaran and other sponsors. It's still interesting and I do watch the videos; BUT, it's not the "gritty", this-is-how-we-live-aboard-couple that they once were. Things have changed, they have departed from the: "we're average folks and you can do it too" catagory, IMO. (and of course, YES, it's just my opinion)
Unfortunately, I have the exact same thoughts. The professional photographer on board now is just a little too much.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:19   #321

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfrazier View Post
yeah...

Ditto. Early La Vag vids were inspiring, but now I just can't relate.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27   #322

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post

I concur. It's changed but I still watch. I enjoy it for different reasons now. At first it was like " maybe I could do this". Now, I enjoy the videography and the scenery. And they still do a good job and giving history of the places they are.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:32   #323

Quote:
Being a retired TV executive
I can say that the La Vag team are starting to
make lots of mistakes
Recent episode showed two Patroens coming aboard
and then Nothing, where's the story????
Big missed chance
They have one more chance
If the next is like the last
There done
Shark Jumping Time
I wished I could have pitched them to
a network a year ago
Could have made them millions
Not Now
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Being a retired TV executive
I can say that the La Vag team are starting to
make lots of mistakes
Recent episode showed two Patroens coming aboard
and then Nothing, where's the story????
Big missed chance
They have one more chance
If the next is like the last
There done
Shark Jumping Time
I wished I could have pitched them to
a network a year ago
Could have made them millions
Not Now
SVDelos passed on the chance to work for a network. He did not want to give up control. I would guess that may be a bit rare though.

Vag seems to be working at alienating part of their base. I would have guessed that contributions would have taken a hit. Am told that is not the case to date.

All of the others put a lot of hard work in for relative peanuts. Though I guess that SVDelos does pretty well. The fact that the best looking couple are raking in the dough speaks to the shallowness of society. Vag is a soap, rarely learned anything.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:54   #325

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post

Teleport is rarely listed on these threads - Epic is exactly the right word. The photography/videography is just stunning. It's the only series that I watch over from time to time. The couple is selling the boat and building an eco-resort on Christmas island and running photo tours. But the nw passage and wildlife scenes are Nat Geo quality and timeless.
Just binge watched this awesome series....had not seen it before, very cool, awesome, beautiful, etc.....Thanks !

EPIC !
Old 04-07-2017, 10:21   #326

Boat: Able 50

The woman on Teleport is absolutely amazing. She likes hiking and that's OK but this one is seriously tough.

On one totally average, another day at the office hiking day we see her put on her shoes, pick up a rifle and head out without saying a word.

Maybe she's from Chicago ?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:25   #327

Quote:
To be honest, I could never really relate. I'll never be that young again and when I was that young, I wasn't that free spirited. So now I also can't afford the boat they're on. ok. It doesn't mean they no longer have anything to offer.

Funny. I watched every episode of star trek and I sure as hell couldn't afford that boat. Clearly, there are other ways to engage than "this could be you".

Interesting that Teleport is being discussed at the same time here, since that's a great model. The Vag kids aren't wildlife photographers, just remarkably plain folks encountering the world, but it can still be interesting to encounter it through their eyes.

But I do agree they'll have to step it up. They can no longer excite at the same level just by showing up, which would have been true on the old boat as well. Time to get off the beaten cruiser path.
Old 04-07-2017, 15:27   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
SVDelos passed on the chance to work for a network. He did not want to give up control. I would guess that may be a bit rare though.

Vag seems to be working at alienating part of their base. I would have guessed that contributions would have taken a hit. Am told that is not the case to date.

All of the others put a lot of hard work in for relative peanuts. Though I guess that SVDelos does pretty well. The fact that the best looking couple are raking in the dough speaks to the shallowness of society. Vag is a soap, rarely learned anything.

I would argue that the couple on Tula's Endless Summer are better looking than La Vag.
Old 04-07-2017, 17:01   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
I would argue that the couple on Tula's Endless Summer are better looking than La Vag.
Perhaps....their vids are alright. But they are just hanging around S Florida instead of cruising the world. Its a different niche.
Old 04-07-2017, 17:03   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Perhaps....their vids are alright. But they are just hanging around S Florida instead of cruising the world. Its a different niche.

I agree with that. I was making a counter point to your comment on the "shallowness of society".
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard