Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 09:56   #301

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
By the way, I'm not trolling. Just giving my honest cogent opinions.

"One mistake is to think of it as a home movie."

Of course they are home movies. What do you think they are, Hollywood films?

"People are not paying for something that is "free"."

Of course they are paying for something that is free. Do you understand how YouTube works? No offense, but they are ALL free home movies.

"For Patreon some will offer many things. One is early viewing. This is something SV Delos offers. Some might want that."

"Early viewing" is the only thing they CAN offer. Do you understand? These are home movies, put up on YouTube. How can anyone not wait to see their NEXT home movie? Why would anyone pay? I just don't understand, unless the people that pay have no real friends and hope that Internet strangers will be their pal after they give them money. If so, and I can see no other reason, then that's a VERY sad thing.

"But that isn't all you get so that is part of the benefit for donation that money."

Really? What else do the people that give them money get, besides a smaller bank account?

Anyway, I sometimes watch these YouTube home-movie up-loaders, yet I would never give them my money. It's free to watch. It's the YouTube protocol. Give these strangers your money, if you wish.

I wonder why you feel the need to call out others on how they chose to spend their money? Is jealousy? Or just the need to be a troublemaker? Such behavior is often associated with those called trolls. (Not that I am using that word, wouldn't want to be censured or warned off)

Why you continually use the term home movies in such a passive aggressive way? As has been mentioned previously, many of these video producers use multiple camera set ups, have terrific editing skills and use music that they have to pay royalties on. Nothing in home movies fits that criteria.

In true cruiser fashion, how about a little live and let live? Each to their own.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:00   #302

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You have to do a little psychoanalysis here, the use of the phrase "home movies" is the passive/aggressive slam, a way to belittle the creative work of others. Sometimes nasty people just need to be called out as what they are rather than have their hatred normalized and become acceptable. If's it deemed a personal attack to call out nastiness....well....so be it. Suspend me from the Site for a week, I'm working out of our La Paz, Mexico office for a few weeks and could care less, but someone has to say it.
I believe I got the intent and it didn't come across to me as that. Many of these videos although using better equipment than "home movie" makers, are just that. I see teenagers making high quality videos for all sorts of things these days as equipment prices come down and computer skills improve. Almost any 12 year old can do some amazing things (to me at least). Take You for instance, you were cruising, saw a need and started a very popular and successful business that supported your cruising lifestyle. I am sure it wasn't easy and you put a lot of hard work and time into it. I applaud that and would hope to be able to duplicate something of the sort. I am a little surprised you came down so strongly where you did based on what I can easily find out about you. Congratulations on your transition to a successful cruising model and a good rep in the community for service that is not very common. Now give all your profit away to someone who quit their job, bought a big boat and shows you how much fun they are having playing around.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:22   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
I agree 100%. I don't give them money either, lol. I broke my rule and gave money to the folks who lost their boat and were broke and stranded. I thought that was a worthy cause as it was an accident of no fault of their own. I would also consider the DIY channels like Mads a little more worthy than others. Sailing Uma impressed the hell out of me when he video'ed riding out that hurricane, in latter episodes they are just filming themselves goofing off..or there is another that asks 3 or 4 times for money to help buy a new toy or whatever he's doing that episode. I won't watch his videos anymore.

Reminds me of a story where a local news crew set up and followed one of the guys hanging out at the intersection under the freeway. He walked about a block away and went to the trunk of a brand new Caddy, changes to cleaner clothes, gets in and they follow him to his huge house. The difference here is they have to show you the house up front, so I wouldn't go to the level of calling it a con, but I see where others can see it that way.

Again, I think the Youtube thing is ingenious and I watch many like MJsailing, Delos, and Seawolf, so if they are getting ad revenue then good for them. I really do appreciate them taking the time to show us what's up, but my life would not differ greatly if they didn't. I did a lot of things before youtube. I wish I looked good in a speedo and had better video editing skills. Still, the Street performer, freeway window washer, "vet" in a wheelchair (i say because i doubt it) and other forms of panhandling rarely get anything direct from from me. Call it jealousy or just call me a jerk. I will save my dinero for my own cruising adventure.
I watched a story like that. He walked a few blocks and jumped in a new suv after changing. Another one had a woman and child panhandling in a mall parking lot all day. Someone decided to check on them and found that they were picked up in an expensive vehicle by the husband at the end of the day.

I have watched panhandlers walk by my vehicle in nicer clothes and sneakers than I had on. I don't give them money.

My mother new a single mother years ago. Her son was growing fast and she didn't have the money to buy him a bigger bike. I just got a new one and was going to sell my old one. I changed my mind and gave it to him. It wasn't worth a whole lot but helped them out.

When it comes to street performers it is different in my eyes. They are not begging. They perform for free, hoping that people will enjoy it enough to pay. I gave money to a few of them. Mostly because my daughter ask for money to do it. It makes my kids happy so that makes me happy. The ones I let my kids give money to, were good at what they did. At least for the short period of time I get to hear them. I would rather them play music then to stick a cup in my face asking for money.

You don't need to look good in a Speedo (My wife doesn't believe anyone can pull off a Speedo), and you don't have to have much skill with editing. Most will tell you to just do it. They say you will suck early on but not many are watching anyway. Overtime you skills should improve as you learn more. If you like it, just have fun with it.

I haven't gave a cent to any YouTuber yet. There have been more then once that I saw an overhead shot of the deck on Athena and thought that if I won the lotto I would think about helping Mads replace that teak.

James
Old 15-05-2017, 10:26   #304

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I haven't gave a cent to any YouTuber yet. There have been more then once that I saw an overhead shot of the deck on Athena and thought that if I won the lotto I would think about helping Mads replace that teak.

James
Here we agree, except I would go help him redo the teak. I help anyone in the marina who needs it and I can. I know a little about a few things and am very mechanical. I offer services in trade for things I don't know about. Sometimes the trade is just knowledge. If all of us helped like that and it was something I could count on, then things would go faster. I moved to a new marina a few months ago and only 1 guy even will talk to me. My old marina, all you had to do was say "anyone know how?" and you'd have more help than you knew what to do with.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:39   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
Here we agree, except I would go help him redo the teak. I help anyone in the marina who needs it and I can. I know a little about a few things and am very mechanical. I offer services in trade for things I don't know about. Sometimes the trade is just knowledge. If all of us helped like that and it was something I could count on, then things would go faster. I moved to a new marina a few months ago and only 1 guy even will talk to me. My old marina, all you had to do was say "anyone know how?" and you'd have more help than you knew what to do with.
It is unfortunate that your new marina is like that. I enjoy helping others. I have spent many nights after work helping guys replace brakes or locate other issues.

I hope that I'm around people like your first marina when I finally get a boat.

James
Old 16-05-2017, 17:55   #306

Boat: 2008 Jeanneau 42 DS

Sailing Baylana is the newest couple in town!
Old 17-05-2017, 12:27   #307

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Now that I am a month into my shakedown cruise, I think sailing fluff is a more accurate description of some of these blogs.And rightfully so I guess.I find myself watching less of them than when I had more stars in me eyes.THe pressure to keep it fresh must be intense when it comes to editing.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:07   #308

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Many citizens of the developed world are able to spend a bloody fortune on entertainment. When I compare the use of funds on attending a prize fight or a professional sports game vs. contributions to a cruising endeavor, the cruising endeavor has a lot more appeal to me.

I have not been here for awhile since things seems over moderated and I value freedom. I do recall one poster who was literally bouncing off of the walls with jealousy and a host of other issues. So....where was the hyper active moderation then?

Why would any sane person give a rats behind how others choose to spend their discretionary income? We already have a hyper active, hyper funded government trying its hardest to control all thought, all communication, all education, all interaction. The people that I may question are those who have made no efforts to escape from that scenario. Man must surely enjoy the lack of personal responsibility that comes with the nanny state.
Old 19-05-2017, 14:44   #309

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Many citizens of the developed world are able to spend a bloody fortune on entertainment. When I compare the use of funds on attending a prize fight or a professional sports game vs. contributions to a cruising endeavor, the cruising endeavor has a lot more appeal to me.

I have not been here for awhile since things seems over moderated and I value freedom. I do recall one poster who was literally bouncing off of the walls with jealousy and a host of other issues. So....where was the hyper active moderation then?

Why would any sane person give a rats behind how others choose to spend their discretionary income? We already have a hyper active, hyper funded government trying its hardest to control all thought, all communication, all education, all interaction. The people that I may question are those who have made no efforts to escape from that scenario. Man must surely enjoy the lack of personal responsibility that comes with the nanny state.
Balance is always difficult.
Old 27-06-2017, 09:49   #310

Came across the "Ramble On" Youtube site, another couple refurbishing an older Tayana before sailing off. Dont know if you could describe them a liveaboard stars but interesting for those who are keen on boat maintenance and the process of overhauling older boats.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32...DbeWk_MEcSqMJg
Old 28-06-2017, 10:20   #311

Another good one (a young couple in a trawler instead of a sailboat, for a change) is Tula's Endless Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FIKITEnSUP

Watching them makes me wonder why I waited so late in life to cruise.
Old 29-06-2017, 13:12   #312

Boat: Westerly 43

I don't understand these people who belittle Youtube sailors who seek Patreon funding. Is it okay for giant hollywood corporations to ask for payment but not talented, hard working cruisers? To equate these people to beggars is ridiculous. Entertainment is entertainment and the personal enjoyment I get from my favourite Youtube sailors is far greater than much of the rubbish that comes out of Hollywood.

Back to the thread. I do think there are too many Youtubers sailing the Caribbean/Bahamas. Frankly this region is being done to death and there are more interesting parts of the world. Lucky Fish's episode on Saint Helena for example was fascinating. Delos' exploration of Madagascar is another case in point. Teleport's traverse of the North West Passage was epic stuff.
Old 29-06-2017, 13:23   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
I don't understand these people who belittle Youtube sailors who seek Patreon funding. Is it okay for giant hollywood corporations to ask for payment but not talented, hard working cruisers? To equate these people to beggars is ridiculous. Entertainment is entertainment and the personal enjoyment I get from my favourite Youtube sailors is far greater than much of the rubbish that comes out of Hollywood.

I think the difference is Hollywood comes out and admits they are there to make money. If you want to run a youtube channel that is openly there to make a profit, I may or may not watch it but at least it's honest.

Where the problem comes in, many of the youtubers imply it's charity and they are in a financial bind then throw out little guilt trips. This is where the beggar comments come in. Once they start down that road, I usually lose interest real quick. If you want to go cruising, get a job and fund it yourself (an openly for-profit youtube channel is a job).
Old 01-07-2017, 06:13   #314

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

The sailing stars of youtube? I have settled on:

Sailing Emerald Steel: Built their own 38' steel boat then sailed into the sunset with some carpentry and welding tools and very little money. 31 years of experience, they do not blatantly ask for money. His accent makes some things harder to understand. A wonderful and sincere old fashioned couple. Their mentor built his own sailboat from trees that he cut down, that amazes me.

SVDelos: The real professionals of this genre. They probably work at least 40 hours a week on their internet brand. Mostly entertainment with some education thrown in here and there. Their two hour question and answer video is extremely educational. Very smart and conscientious couple. Excellent ambassadors for the sailing genre. Very concerned about the reefs and the oceans.

Sailing into Freedom: This guy is just fun to watch....a total ham. Almost no electronics or stoves at all. Eats raw fish mostly. Really likes girls, no sausage fest on that boat.

LaVag: A soap about an attractive couple on the sea. Her face, voice, and figure are the real stars by my estimation. Their recent marketing of the catamaran choice is off putting to me. They bank ridiculous money...about $8500/week per Patreon. Not my choice as of late.

A lot of sailing people are trying to establish their youtube brand. More power to them. Another way to learn from the experiences of others. I would contribute if I had more disposable funds. Instead, I have a boat that needs significant work. Plus the exorbitant bank robbing property taxes that drove me into the sea.

They get a little bit of money from youtube due to advertising revenues. The vast majority comes from Patreon contributions.

Youtube liveaboard channels are absolutely awesome. Entertainment and education rolled into one. Certainly better values than the liberal Hollywood crapfest that we are normally faced with. Much better than spending hundreds to see spoiled millionaires playing for spoiled billionaires...all at public expense for the past few decades.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:00   #315

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I checked out some of the mentioned youtube channels and the sailors surviving on Patreon.

The people who are putting out high quality material are working very hard to make it happen. Shooting/editing video is very time consuming if it is done well, and you need a lot more than just good footage. You need a good storyline.

As far as I am concerned, the stars are working hard thirty plus hours a week to not make very much money. It may keep them sailing, but it probably won't make them rich.

It looks like hard work to me. I congratulate them on their success, but I'm glad that I don't have to do their gig.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard