Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 03:39   #286

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I must confess that I was an avid viewer of the Sailinglavagabond couple, really enjoyed watching the daily struggle, I could definitely relate to it.

They completely lost me with the purchase and subsequent boat parties aboard their new catamaran. It seems that it was more of the daily adventures that held me, not the bling of a new boat and now marketing stuff. I still would like to meet them over some beers in an anchorage someday, they both seem to be very down to earth types.
Ditto. Not a fan of the new boat at all. Million dollar cat + me= totally unrelatable. The content of their channel has suffered with the cat deal, IMO. I know they lost a viewer here.

On to others though! Sailboat Story is my current fav.

Mads on Sail Life is another outstanding DIY channel.
Old 15-05-2017, 05:27   #287

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...could it be that many of us often think, that some bookauthors answer some questions more in-depth (& in the case of non-native-english-speakers like myself) in better english???

Maybe. Most the books seem a good decade old and it seems unique to this forum.
Old 15-05-2017, 05:54   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGroc View Post
At least they can afford to throw their own parties.
It's not a requirement to join Patreon to watch YouTube videos, just as well, it's not a requirement to show up to the party with a nice bottle of wine.
Old 15-05-2017, 06:20   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
You talk about free, home movies and so on.

One mistake is to think of it as a home movie. Most YouTube channels are so far past "home videos", or at least any home movie I have watched.

People are not paying for something that is "free". Most watch it for free just like you. I say most because, as far as Patreon goes, it depends on what they offer for that donation. For Patreon some will offer many things. One is early viewing. This is something SV Delos offers. Some might want that. But that isn't all you get so that is part of the benefit for donation that money. So they get something for it.

Some offer t shirts, a chance to stay on the boat and so on. Some channels allow you to have access to the uncensored version of the videos that sometimes also include extra footage. Most say that you can watch them free on YouTube if they want. If you read the comments, most are asked for a way to help out. Some channels start Patreon because they are asked about it over and over again. Some might because it works for other channels.

For some channels, the ones giving the money are making it possible for us to watch it for free. You are also helping because you are a viewer. Each view allows YouTube to show some ads, that makes them money. They break a little piece of that money for the channel as well. Also when the channels reach a certain level they are worth something to companies that want to reach their viewers.

You make it sound like all of these people are making tons of money. I don't think most make as much as you think they do. Sailing channels are tiny compared to the top vloggers out there. You have channels with 5-10 million subscribers out there. Some of those channels are getting 250000 views in a few hours.

And the million dollar boat wasn't a free gift. It was a business deal. I'm happy for them.

James
By the way, I'm not trolling. Just giving my honest cogent opinions.

"One mistake is to think of it as a home movie."

Of course they are home movies. What do you think they are, Hollywood films?

"People are not paying for something that is "free"."

Of course they are paying for something that is free. Do you understand how YouTube works? No offense, but they are ALL free home movies.

"For Patreon some will offer many things. One is early viewing. This is something SV Delos offers. Some might want that."

"Early viewing" is the only thing they CAN offer. Do you understand? These are home movies, put up on YouTube. How can anyone not wait to see their NEXT home movie? Why would anyone pay? I just don't understand, unless the people that pay have no real friends and hope that Internet strangers will be their pal after they give them money. If so, and I can see no other reason, then that's a VERY sad thing.

"But that isn't all you get so that is part of the benefit for donation that money."

Really? What else do the people that give them money get, besides a smaller bank account?

Anyway, I sometimes watch these YouTube home-movie up-loaders, yet I would never give them my money. It's free to watch. It's the YouTube protocol. Give these strangers your money, if you wish.
Old 15-05-2017, 06:44   #290
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I just don't understand.
As if we didn't already know that....
Old 15-05-2017, 07:15   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
As if we didn't already know that....
As if we didn't already see you type that, numerous times ...
Anyway, please give us your cogent opinion, as opposed to merely attacking others that give THEIR cogent opinions.
Old 15-05-2017, 08:02   #292
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sometimes I wonder and play with the meanings of words.

I know "cogent" means clear, relevant and pertinent, but then it makes me think of a something else.

"Co" as a prefix can mean with, together or jointly and "gent" carries the meaning of a polite man who behaves well toward other people.

Some "cogent" opinions would be welcomed!

My wife and I sometimes tell each other that we "concur" at the end of an argument. ("con" = with; "cur" = dog). We know that we're really saying, "Ok, I agree, you dog!)

Therefore, I concur we need some cogent opinions!
Old 15-05-2017, 08:33   #293

Quote:

Of course they are paying for something that is free. Do you understand how YouTube works? No offense, but they are ALL free home movies.

"For Patreon some will offer many things. One is early viewing. This is something SV Delos offers. Some might want that."

"Early viewing" is the only thing they CAN offer. Do you understand? These are home movies, put up on YouTube. How can anyone not wait to see their NEXT home movie? Why would anyone pay? I just don't understand, unless the people that pay have no real friends and hope that Internet strangers will be their pal after they give them money. If so, and I can see no other reason, then that's a VERY sad thing.

"But that isn't all you get so that is part of the benefit for donation that money."

Really? What else do the people that give them money get, besides a smaller bank account?

Anyway, I sometimes watch these YouTube home-movie up-loaders, yet I would never give them my money. It's free to watch. It's the YouTube protocol. Give these strangers your money, if you wish.

Your constant use of "home movie" does seem it is just to troll to be honest. We could go back and forth over this topic for months and not come to an agreement. But that is ok.

I don't know of any home movies that are shot using 3+ cameras, well edited and so on. If you know of home movies that were done like that, then you and I grew up in completely different neighborhoods.

There are YouTubers that have made movies. This is on another level compared to what I would call a home movie. Youtube is a different animal. With YouTube you will get different levels quality. When it started, it was "home movies". There still would be some like that now but things have changed.

No I don't think they are Hollywood film. I don't think there are just two categories.

With Patreon you can't "pay for something that is free". You have to offer something for each level. So no they are not paying for something that is free. Yes I do know how it works. I have spent way too much time watching YouTube, I have two channels myself and my kids each have a channel. I believe I have a very good understanding of how YouTube works.

I myself haven't donated money to any YouTube channel. If I did, I would do by buying merchandise. But it would have to be something I thought was good enough to buy.

A free way to help a channel you like is to like and/or comment on a video. As a video gets more people engaging with it, YouTube promotes that channel more.

BTW, many people pay for things they can get for free. If you are using paying for internet then you are paying for something you can get for free. If someone owns a treadmill, they are paying for something that they can get for free. It really doesn't matter unless it comes out of your pocket. You choose what you do with your money. Let others worry about what they spend their hard earned money on.

Early viewing is not the only thing they can offer. Look on the right side of the Patreon page and you will see other things that are offered. Some offer time on their boat and many other things. It isn't just early viewing. The sad part is you can't see that. The thing is, you don't really need to understand. You are on a boat forum. Many people can't understand why someone would want to waste money on a boat.

Some people like to help out a little. It isn't to buy a friend, they do it for what ever reason they choose. Some might only do it to drive you crazy. I'm not a part of Patreon at all. I don't use it for my channels and I haven't gave money to any channel. If I ever do give money to one, (don't currently have any plans to) I will do so without consulting you.

Now back to the real topic of this thread.

I noticed I forgot some channels.

Life is like sailing is one that I watch from time to time. He does a pretty good job on his videos.

iandi boats He took a break but I watch to see him achieve his goal of building a large boat in his yard.

Chase the Story I watch every now and then as well.

James
Old 15-05-2017, 08:37   #294

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Your constant use of "home movie" does seem it is just to troll to be honest. We could go back and forth over this topic for months and not come to an agreement. But that is ok.

I don't know of any home movies that are shot using 3+ cameras, well edited and so on. If you know of home movies that were done like that, then you and I grew up in completely different neighborhoods.

There are YouTubers that have made movies. This is on another level compared to what I would call a home movie. Youtube is a different animal. With YouTube you will get different levels quality. When it started, it was "home movies". There still would be some like that now but things have changed.

No I don't think they are Hollywood film. I don't think there are just two categories.

With Patreon you can't "pay for something that is free". You have to offer something for each level. So no they are not paying for something that is free. Yes I do know how it works. I have spent way too much time watching YouTube, I have two channels myself and my kids each have a channel. I believe I have a very good understanding of how YouTube works.

I myself haven't donated money to any YouTube channel. If I did, I would do by buying merchandise. But it would have to be something I thought was good enough to buy.

A free way to help a channel you like is to like and/or comment on a video. As a video gets more people engaging with it, YouTube promotes that channel more.

BTW, many people pay for things they can get for free. If you are using paying for internet then you are paying for something you can get for free. If someone owns a treadmill, they are paying for something that they can get for free. It really doesn't matter unless it comes out of your pocket. You choose what you do with your money. Let others worry about what they spend their hard earned money on.

Early viewing is not the only thing they can offer. Look on the right side of the Patreon page and you will see other things that are offered. Some offer time on their boat and many other things. It isn't just early viewing. The sad part is you can't see that. The thing is, you don't really need to understand. You are on a boat forum. Many people can't understand why someone would want to waste money on a boat.

Some people like to help out a little. It isn't to buy a friend, they do it for what ever reason they choose. Some might only do it to drive you crazy. I'm not a part of Patreon at all. I don't use it for my channels and I haven't gave money to any channel. If I ever do give money to one, (don't currently have any plans to) I will do so without consulting you.

Now back to the real topic of this thread.

I noticed I forgot some channels.

Life is like sailing is one that I watch from time to time. He does a pretty good job on his videos.

iandi boats He took a break but I watch to see him achieve his goal of building a large boat in his yard.

Chase the Story I watch every now and then as well.

James

You hiding or what? You just joined, have no other posts in other threads and rag on the one who doesn't agree with your point? What is your other ID?
Old 15-05-2017, 09:03   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
You hiding or what? You just joined, have no other posts in other threads and rag on the one who doesn't agree with your point? What is your other ID?
Not hiding. I have no other account on this or any other site. I found this forum a week ago, I have been reading threads. I'm reading and trying to learn. I have been watching a lot of YouTube sailing channels so this is one thread I could add something to.

I didn't rag on the one that didn't agree with me. There are people on here that don't like some of the channels I watch. That is fine. I found some that mention channels that I can't get into. That is fine as well. I commented on what he said in his posts and gave my point of view.

James
Old 15-05-2017, 09:18   #296

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:

Ha ha! Home movies don't earn hundreds of k$/year, as you stated, so we are not talking about home movies (I think definitions and common concepts are lost in this exchange).
Great that you enjoy the free content on YT. All the better for you that some other are willing to pay and subsidize the lifestyle that produces content you enjoy! BTW I've made one donation myself so far and am happy that others pay more. Hope that the Delos series continues a long time.
Old 15-05-2017, 09:36   #297
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

You have to do a little psychoanalysis here, the use of the phrase "home movies" is the passive/aggressive slam, a way to belittle the creative work of others. Sometimes nasty people just need to be called out as what they are rather than have their hatred normalized and become acceptable. If's it deemed a personal attack to call out nastiness....well....so be it. Suspend me from the Site for a week, I'm working out of our La Paz, Mexico office for a few weeks and could care less, but someone has to say it.
Old 15-05-2017, 09:36   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I see it as no different than a street entertainer, just of course with Youtube, they can be on a really busy street corner is all
Old 15-05-2017, 09:43   #299

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You have to do a little psychoanalysis here, the use of the phrase "home movies" is the passive/aggressive slam, a way to belittle the creative work of others. Sometimes nasty people just need to be called out as what they are rather than have their hatred normalized and become acceptable. If's it deemed a personal attack to call out nastiness....well....so be it. Suspend me from the Site for a week, but someone has to say it.
Yes. Would be great to get P.C.M.'s definition on that concept. The fact that Delos, for example, has better equipment, skills and budget for each episode than many indie movies is of course lost in this discourse. Even when the final product so obviously is desirable (even for PCM). Still waiting for him to give us his version of sailing "home movie". Not holding my breath
Old 15-05-2017, 09:51   #300

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I see it as no different than a street entertainer, just of course with Youtube, they can be on a really busy street corner is all
I agree 100%. I don't give them money either, lol. I broke my rule and gave money to the folks who lost their boat and were broke and stranded. I thought that was a worthy cause as it was an accident of no fault of their own. I would also consider the DIY channels like Mads a little more worthy than others. Sailing Uma impressed the hell out of me when he video'ed riding out that hurricane, in latter episodes they are just filming themselves goofing off..or there is another that asks 3 or 4 times for money to help buy a new toy or whatever he's doing that episode. I won't watch his videos anymore.

Reminds me of a story where a local news crew set up and followed one of the guys hanging out at the intersection under the freeway. He walked about a block away and went to the trunk of a brand new Caddy, changes to cleaner clothes, gets in and they follow him to his huge house. The difference here is they have to show you the house up front, so I wouldn't go to the level of calling it a con, but I see where others can see it that way.

Again, I think the Youtube thing is ingenious and I watch many like MJsailing, Delos, and Seawolf, so if they are getting ad revenue then good for them. I really do appreciate them taking the time to show us what's up, but my life would not differ greatly if they didn't. I did a lot of things before youtube. I wish I looked good in a speedo and had better video editing skills. Still, the Street performer, freeway window washer, "vet" in a wheelchair (i say because i doubt it) and other forms of panhandling rarely get anything direct from from me. Call it jealousy or just call me a jerk. I will save my dinero for my own cruising adventure.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard