Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 06:03   #181

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Sailing Uma has an electric powered motor that is very impressive in my humble opinion. He installed it himself.
Old 19-04-2017, 06:03   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No, it doesn't bother me at all. I think this topic is one of the most interesting on this forum, and I just like adding my opinions and my comments. No big deal, and I am interested to see where this 'retire on Patreon money' game goes. I don't watch these people every time they upload, but I do sometimes. I like the term "stars". It makes me chuckle. No joke.

By the way, I also never donate to "Save the Whales" or "Save the Aliens". That's just who I am. Someone here wrote that they've met a couple of these Patreon people, and that they were a "hoot". Yeah, well, I've met MANY people in my life who are "hoots", but I don't give them money.

Now to something a little more funny:

A group walks into the TV-exec office to try and sell a pilot. After hearing the proposed script of the show, the exec says "No. Sorry. We don't have a market for people sailing around drinking, swimming, and cooking hamburgers. Why don't you try uploading to YouTube and then ask for donations? Thanks for stopping in!"

Hahaha
I think you can stop now. We all have the picture of exactly who you are.
Old 19-04-2017, 06:34   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menlim3 View Post
Sailing Uma has an electric powered motor that is very impressive in my humble opinion. He installed it himself.
That sounds cool. I haven't watched their videos. I'll check it out.

The three things that cruisers can't get enough of: Gas, electricity, ... and space for frozen New York sirloins ... bone in!
Old 19-04-2017, 06:49   #184

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Actually... the whole "Patreon" thing is something like "You cannot make your dreams come true.... So let me live it for you while you watch me"..... Again as long as Patreons and Patreonees happy with the exchange, it's none of my business.....

But personally, I believe the incentive offers (i.e. commit $5/months for a year, then we'll send you an autographed t-shirt or..... send me $100 then you can ask me anything you want) is totally against the spirit of "Stopping rat race" concept... Most of the incentive driven youtube cruising channels are way lighter in terms of content (more fun, flesh and partying and less knowledge, practical skills and experiences)

Honestly.... incentive focused channels don't work for us at all..... When I see the promo/incentive announcement at the and of the video, I move forward to another channel...... Just my 2c
Old 21-04-2017, 01:03   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
Actually... the whole "Patreon" thing is something like "You cannot make your dreams come true.... So let me live it for you while you watch me"..... Again as long as Patreons and Patreonees happy with the exchange, it's none of my business.....

But personally, I believe the incentive offers (i.e. commit $5/months for a year, then we'll send you an autographed t-shirt or..... send me $100 then you can ask me anything you want) is totally against the spirit of "Stopping rat race" concept... Most of the incentive driven youtube cruising channels are way lighter in terms of content (more fun, flesh and partying and less knowledge, practical skills and experiences)

Honestly.... incentive focused channels don't work for us at all..... When I see the promo/incentive announcement at the and of the video, I move forward to another channel...... Just my 2c

2c is just as good as 4c! It's a cruisers forum. Anyway, I agree with what you state.

By the way, it's getting good. Quickly! People are talking. They're talking about this thread. This thread is being watched, and tongues are wagging. I watched a few minutes of various Patreoners today, and the faces, psychology, and acting is altering in the ones I watched. Well, they're not pro actors, but you know what I mean. It's altering in direct relation to what's being discussed here. Some alterations subtle, and some not. Watch carefully, and pay attention, and you will see it. What's being written on the Patreon pages is also changing, and in direct relation to discussion points here. Very interesting. From now on, I'm just going to check in from time to time, yet it's going to be fun to watch as the changes continue.
Old 21-04-2017, 02:21   #186

Quote:

Lastly, I REALLY LIKED "Boston SV Slick", and "Alex Rust" (RIP). Those cats sailed for the true love of sailing. Nothing else. No begging for beers while taking delivery of a million-dollar yacht.

All food for thought.

Cheers!

Had not known about Alex Rust passing. What a character. Truly missed. Chasing Bubbles.
Old 21-04-2017, 04:23   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
are there anyyoutube channels that are focussed on families/cruising with children?i've scanned through most of the ones mentioned and they seem to be couples or singles.
Sail Story - a lovely family with quirky humor. Everything about them is endearing. Learning as they go but smartly.

Sailing Zatara - confident and competent. On a mission to enrich their lives.

Fata Morgana - Comes across as carefree but educated and disciplined. I detect much love. Edited and narrated by 13 yr old daughter. Very talented.

There are also YT channels local to the Cook islands which are varied in topic but always about sailing. Sorry, I do not presently recall the names of those channels.
Old 21-04-2017, 04:54   #188

Sailing Emerald Steel is the first channel to which I subscribed some years ago. They did it the old fashioned way, they worked their butts off, taught themselves how, sought guidance when needed. Suze, at 19 yrs, learned how to weld and did all the welding. They splashed in 1985 and are still going at it. Sometimes I am dismayed that portions of their experiences are missing but I figure they are private persons. Their videos offer a wealth of information for those who want to learn how it really is. I think they post to document their experiences. Jules & Suze are a great a source of information. I just like their style and to hear of their experiences. They offer 30+ yrs of videos.

Dashew Offshore

Sea Change Professionalphotographers. Exquisite photography and narration. Too bad they haven't posted more videos.

Sailing Nervous is fun. Vin & Amy are relatively inexperienced but go about learning in a conservative manner. They are coming along nicely and building a solid foundation. I like their mannerisms.

Salt & Tar are still building their boat. I'm hopelessly in love with their project. Garret & Rebecca have a personal love story which is amazing. I am encouraged by this young couple's work ethics.

The previously mentioned channels with children are delightful to me for in equal parts they fondly call to mind my own childhood and I love to see the kids react to and absorb that lifestyle.
Old 21-04-2017, 05:11   #189

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post

Totally agree with you. The latest is the medically retired corporate pilot establishing a "go fund me " site in order to buy a bigger boat so he can have 4 or 5 people on board. Nobody is ever happy with 100K income from his you tube site!
Old 21-04-2017, 05:27   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Had not known about Alex Rust passing. What a character. Truly missed. Chasing Bubbles.
Yes, I'm sure. I never met him, yet he appears to have been a 'country boy' with a heart of gold, as opposed to these Patreoners now seeking money. He followed his dream and sailed purely for the love of sailing.

The video "Chasing Bubbles - the movie" (page 11 of this thread) was released post-mortem, and it is composed of short clips of the much longer footage about his circumnavigation that used to be available on YouTube. The long and complete version has now been removed. I wish that I had recorded it, because the long version shows all the circumnavigation footage, with none of the post-mortem drama and his time in India. Not that the background story isn't interesting, but the original long version was amazing. I hope that his relatives/friends will some day re-upload all the original footage.

The very first video that I saw of Alex is the short home movie that he made describing his circumnavigation route (see below). I thought "Who is this guy? He seems ultra cool!" Then I watched the original long version of his circumnavigation and I was completely blown away.

Old 21-04-2017, 05:45   #191

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure. I never met him, yet he appears to have been a 'country boy' with a heart of gold, as opposed to these Patreoners now seeking money. He followed his dream and sailed purely for the love of sailing.

The video "Chasing Bubbles - the movie" (page 11 of this thread) was released post-mortem, and it is composed of short clips of the much longer footage about his circumnavigation that used to be available on YouTube. The long and complete version has now been removed. I wish that I had recorded it, because the long version shows all the circumnavigation footage, with none of the post-mortem drama and his time in India. Not that the background story isn't interesting, but the original long version was amazing. I hope that his relatives/friends will some day re-upload all the original footage.

The very first video that I saw of Alex is the short home movie that he made describing his circumnavigation route (see below). I thought "Who is this guy? He seems ultra cool!" Then I watched the original long version of his circumnavigation and I was completely blown away.

Port. I have a question for you. Are you against people making money by living the dream of sailing around the world. Or are you against the way they do it?
Old 21-04-2017, 06:07   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Port. I have a question for you. Are you against people making money by living the dream of sailing around the world. Or are you against the way they do it?
C'mon man. Go back to Page 1 of this thread and start reading through all the pages again. I've been pretty clear.

All I'll add is this: I don't like con artists, and I think that the people that get taken in by con artists and support them with donation money are complete idiots. Is that clear enough? Also, and this is a true story, I saw Joni Mitchell live in 1975 on stage with Bob Dylan (who I met 20 years later in Los Angeles). I liked seeing Joni in 1975, but I don't like watching 'her wannabe' asking for "donation money" in 2017 for their home-movie "Production". Do you understand yet?
Old 21-04-2017, 06:34   #193

I had the chance to hangout with the Delos crew in South Africa, even had my 1 second of fame in a video. In my own opinion, they are anything but fake. Brian is just awesome, talking to him helped me realize why he is a successful captain. It can't be easy having different personalities on board all the time. He is easy going, and engages in conversations with calmness and respect. Now for Brady, he is very humble and thankful for everything. Should I add he knows how to have a good time. Karin, to be honest she was fairly quite from my perspective, however still welcoming and friendly. I just can't say much about Karin because I didn't get the chance to really talk to her. I think they are all awesome people who are following a dream which I enjoy watching.

The best part about this, I doubt they care much about the negative comments if they even realize they are being said on here.

It's not good to live life with such negative lenses on, but each their own.

I only watch Delos and Sailing Britican consistently. I really value what I am learning from Simon and Kim of sailing Britican as they are doing it with their young daughter. It is my dream to follow in similar foot steps as I have a little one.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:18   #194

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartind View Post
I had the chance to hangout with the Delos crew in South Africa, even had my 1 second of fame in a video. In my own opinion, they are anything but fake. Brian is just awesome, talking to him helped me realize why he is a successful captain. It can't be easy having different personalities on board all the time. He is easy going, and engages in conversations with calmness and respect. Now for Brady, he is very humble and thankful for everything. Should I add he knows how to have a good time. Karin, to be honest she was fairly quite from my perspective, however still welcoming and friendly. I just can't say much about Karin because I didn't get the chance to really talk to her. I think they are all awesome people who are following a dream which I enjoy watching.

The best part about this, I doubt they care much about the negative comments if they even realize they are being said on here.

It's not good to live life with such negative lenses on, but each their own.

I only watch Delos and Sailing Britican consistently. I really value what I am learning from Simon and Kim of sailing Britican as they are doing it with their young daughter. It is my dream to follow in similar foot steps as I have a little one.
Did you pull at their beards (not Karin's off course) because Portclydeme tells us they're fake.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:19   #195

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Sv Delos interviewing Lisa Blair on facebook
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard