Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 16:53   #166

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No. They ARE "home movies". They are not TV shows, as they are just people with cameras uploading home movies to the Net, hoping for money. I could care less how much time they spend "editing" their home movies, because let's face it, they have "nothing else" to do. They don't "work", in the ordinary sense of the word, they have just chosen to ask others to pay for their retirement. I have watched them all, and I can easily calculate approximately home much time they have taken to "edit" their 15-minute home movie. The top sellers take around $9K of other peoples' money to shove out repeated 15-minute videos. Why people pay them, I HAVE NO IDEA! Maybe it's the whole "new age" of Internet psychology. It's the same as with "street urchin huskers", that wish to sit around strumming old guitars instead of doing a real job. I don't throw any of MY COINS into their guitar cases. It's a "little bit" removed from the "dude sitting in front of the convenience store" with a can begging for money, but not TOO FAR removed. In fact, it's even a bit more "sneaky"! These are people with $100K - $400K boats, now "million dollar boats", ASKING for YOUR MONEY, while at the same time probably running a "secret" side business (computer programmer, etc.). You wanna pay them? Please go ahead. They are not waiters coming to my dinner table.

With all that aside, I'll keep watching -- FOR FREE! Thanks! And when my wife and I start our "YouTube home movies" channel, we'll act EXACTLY as these people do. We'll take off our wedding rings, and act like "boyfriend / girlfriend bumpkins out sailing who need your support". It will be VERY fun taking other peoples' money for 15-minute home movies. Such a gas! I love it.

I also love how they ALL say "We need your help ($$$) to keep buying new cameras!" Oh really? They need $50K a month of new cameras? NOPE! Regardless, you'll never know we were "PortClydeMe". We'll just upload, and keep saying "We love you, patron brothers and sisters!" "We love you ALL, so very much!" "Thank you for buying us poor sailors beers$$$$$$$".
mmmmm Definitely a bitter and jealous old man.

There is a simple remedy. Do not watch utube videos.
Old 17-04-2017, 17:13   #167

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
I'll say it again. I know how Patreon works. What I will NEVER understand is why anyone would pay their hard-earned money to "strangers" to watch their "YouTube" home movies. Do you remember what "YouTube" is? It's a SHARING service. Sharing means FREE.

YouTube is an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California. SHARING means FREE!!

A video hosting service allows individual end users to upload and share personal, business, or royalty-free videos -- FOR FREE!!!!!

If people want to PAY for YouTube home movies, have fun paying! I'm "old school" Internet. I will not pay! I don't support a "new-age" nonsense Internet business model that states "Please give us your money, because we upload FREE home movies and we need $50K of new cameras per month due to salt-air corrosion!"

If I "join" the Patreon shell ($$$) game, then YES, you can give me ALL your money. Thanks!

Cheers.

Sounds like someone hasn't used youtube in a long time! Youtube hasn't been "free" for years!!! you know those ads that you have to watch, they pay for the infrastructure that supports your "free" viewing. the creators get a tiny sliver of that revenue and youtube gets most of it (including the profit) Gear, software, editing time and internet costs to upload aren't free. Why do you want the Creators to be completely out of pocket ( at leas the ones that actually put some effort into it!) Ever notice this thing called "Youtube RED" you pay a fee to avoid the commercials. Why should youtube make all the money off of the work of all the "creators"
Old 17-04-2017, 18:31   #168

YouTube, Radio, TV, Walking down the street is not free. They all have Advertising. These people make what entertains other's. Entertainers get paid everywhere else why not YouTube. Many people understand YouTube pay,s Pennys. Around $1,600 per one million views. The view count restarts each month. And you have to get at least $100 before a check is sent. So some people will buy a hat or t-shirt or send a few dollars to someone they like.

Seems a few people here expect others to do for nothing. Do not call me to your house to fix anything. It cost money for me to breathe. So I will expect to get paid. When you buy that baseball hat or t-shirt you are paying someone to play a child's game. Remember that old argument
Old 17-04-2017, 19:09   #169

Been browsing this thread and I'm really surprised it took 146 posts for Sailing Uma to get a mention...unless I missed one?

This is my first post here and I had to register because I wanted to show PortClydeMe something I'm proud of. I, for one, contribute through Patreon because I get it. Nothing lasts forever, and whether Patreon is a fad or not, the quality and diversity of some of these videos is inspirational. It's inspiring to see other people do this, to attempt to, whether they succeed or fail. I contribute because it's something I love, it has inspired me to take a different course in life, and without people like all of us together, it really wouldn't be possible.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...2dBOU9UdFQ0RlU
Old 17-04-2017, 19:13   #170
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Welcome to Cruising Forum Amigo...and I'm with you.

When I was working my Corporate Job spending 198 nights a year in a Sheraton Hotel and platinum on 3 airlines, falsely thinking "Man I had made it", the folks out cruising and posting about it (then it was blogs with photos) gave me the inspiration to take the wife and two kids to Mexico and the rest....is life changing History. Adios Corporate Job, hello living aboard now on year 10.
Old 17-04-2017, 20:23   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
mmmmm Definitely a bitter and jealous old man.

There is a simple remedy. Do not watch utube videos.
No. Maybe that's your remedy. My remedy is to never pay money to Patreon to watch YouTube videos that are FREE FOR EVERYONE to watch. It's pretty simple. Should YouTube uploaders begin charging money to watch their videos, then that's when I stop watching them.

Anyway, have a great day!!
Old 18-04-2017, 02:30   #172
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guyz

Please do not COMMENT or WRITE in public what the moderators should do.

1/. Comments on moderation is against the rules.
2/. We have a set standard to work to.
3/. You do not know what we are doing on your behalf.

If you have a problem... drop a PM to any moderator or report a post with your grievance...

Rule 1: We really are on top of things...
Rule 2: If this is not the case revert to rule 1.

Old 18-04-2017, 02:38   #173

I recently found these guys:

Brothers restoring an antique Cheoy Lee
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Y...tWt-KxxpY2X2aA

Some random guy who was given a free boat!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kTru-9dmncLg0Q
Old 18-04-2017, 05:59   #174

Recently, I found:
Plukky, Sailingintofreedom.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDk...a8vilFw/Videos

If already offended by bikinis from the poodles, DO NOT watch this!!!

kr
C
Old 18-04-2017, 06:18   #175

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Bikinis don't offend me, but a grown man who thinks it's cute to talk about his wang in front of young women, or his wife, on camera, does. Plukky had really good SAILING videos before he discovered that pervy minded adolescents are in greater numbers than decent people. Now he sounds like a 6 year old who just found his tool, because children watch his videos. (This was a reply to the guy who posted before me, but seems to have deleted it.)
Old 18-04-2017, 07:19   #176

Quote:
No. Maybe that's your remedy. My remedy is to never pay money to Patreon to watch YouTube videos that are FREE FOR EVERYONE to watch. It's pretty simple. Should YouTube uploaders begin charging money to watch their videos, then that's when I stop watching them.

Anyway, have a great day!!
Obviously, it does bother you when other people do something you don't like that doesn't affect you at all. Therapy can help with that. Most of the time.
Old 18-04-2017, 07:45   #177

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I'm pretty amazed at the amount of contempt some people have for Youtube stars. Yes, you can watch the videos for free. The fact that many of them have Patreon account seems to bother some people. Not sure why, but to each his own. The level of disinformation that seems to abound when someone becomes successful is stunning at times.

I personally support two sailing channels on Patreon. Sailing La Vagabonde and Gone with the Wynn's. I've actually met both couples, and they're great people. Had dinner with Jason and Nikki Wynn in Ft Lauderdale when I was coming back from a week of bareboat, and they were getting their cat ready for cruising. The SLV launch party in La Grande Motte France was possibly the best excuse we could come up with for crossing one of the girlfriend's items off her list (visiting France). Riley and Elayna were extremely busy, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time with them, but we had a good chat when we ran into them the day after the party.

Both couples are a hoot.

The deal with La Vagabonde and Outremere is mutually beneficial. They're not getting a free boat. They're leasing a boat from Outremere for a year, but their "payment" is going to be made in Youtube videos. Obviously Outremere won't want them to bad-mouth the boat, but they don't have to make commercials for them either. The benefit to Outremere comes the same way it did for Benetau, only Benetau got it for free. Searches for Outremere and web traffic has increased significantly since making the deal, and since the CEOs wife is a marketing guru, she convinced him of the value behind it. It didn't hurt that their head salesman was already a fan also. After the first year, Riley and Elayna will be purchasing the boat using money they make on their videos. Win-win.
Old 18-04-2017, 08:02   #178

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Don't pour gas on a fire you want to extinguish. The ignore feature on here is great, if it only worked on quotation replies
Old 18-04-2017, 20:54   #179

Boat: Catalina 30

I watch a few of them, but I usually watch
at 2 times speed and fast forward a lot.
Who can sit through all that at normal speed?
Old 18-04-2017, 20:56   #180

Boat: Catalina 30

Sorry for double post.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard