Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 15:10   #136

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I would bet their successful job applicant is a young, good looking girl who posted a photo with their application. They did not become cruiser stars from being stupid. Like it or not, people prefer to watch beautiful people. I mean......look at the Hollywood A list. Are they the most talented? No...they are often the best looking.

As for the guy with the sour grapes complaint "They didn't even watch my video." Welcome to the job applicant world. If your resume receives more than a 10 second glance, you got luckier than most. Besides, who wants to watch a video with 1 view?
Old 16-04-2017, 15:46   #137
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Perhaps this is a good time to review the definition and workings of an internet Troll:

Troll
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
Internet troll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now armed with that understanding, it could be a bit easier to deal with some people online.
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management and Brokerage
Old 16-04-2017, 15:52   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Perhaps this is a good time to review the definition and workings of an internet Troll:

Troll
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
Internet troll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now armed with that understanding, it could be a bit easier to deal with some people online.
Oh, come on. Is this all you could think up? I knew this would come, sooner or later. Look, I'm not trolling. We are discussing people who post home movies on YouTube about living on their boat, then getting paid for their movies. That's it. Maybe you didn't read all my posts, or maybe didn't understand them?

Take care.
Old 16-04-2017, 15:54   #139
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Oh, come on. Is this all you could think up? I knew this would come, sooner or later. Look, I'm not trolling. We are discussing people who post home movies on YouTube about living on their boat, then getting paid for their movies. That's it. Maybe you didn't read all my posts, or maybe didn't understand them?

Take care.
Don't flatter yourself.
I'm not sure why you would assume I was talking about you?
I haven't bothered to ready your posts now in pages, as have most sane posters/readers.
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management and Brokerage
Old 16-04-2017, 15:57   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Don't flatter yourself.
I'm not sure why you would assume I was talking about you?
I haven't bothered to ready your posts now in pages, as have most sane posters/readers.
Well, that's more slick than your previous post. You're going up the ladder. How's your business going?
Old 16-04-2017, 16:07   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
The hate is strong in this thread.

People give money because these people are entertaining them. No different than paying to see a band or paying for cable TV. And people complaining about commercialization, do you change the channel on the Tv when a commercial comes on? It's part of the deal, in happy for these people. It's capitalism at its finest. They have a product that someone else is willing to pay for, even though they don't have to. Haters gonna hate, it's what they do.
Yes I agree if someone fills a niche and gets paid for who are we to judge. I think its great for sailing
Old 16-04-2017, 16:48   #142

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I have been watching various youtube liveaboard videos for a few months. These series seem to constantly pop up for viewing:
* The Vagabond couple. The real star are the eyes of the young lady. How did that young buck come up with the cash for that yacht and endless voyage anyway? Again, the real treasure is his lovely co-star.
* The SVVelos crew. Once again, how did that young man buy that 52' yacht and endless voyage? I think it even has a scuba tank compressor.
* Followtheboat. Middle aged couple with 42' boat. This one seem real. He was a DJ so their audio quality is always very good. They focus on education about liveaboard challenges.
* EmeraldSteel. Another trip into a fantasy world. She somehow maintains an amazing middle aged figure. We are left to wonder if this is due to exercise or genetics. He was a home builder and can make a huge ships mast with a knife and saw (an exaggeration). Their boat is made of steel. Of course he knows how to maintain it himself.
* There are a few single guys doing their liveaboard/sailing thing. Having a hard time competing with the couples I would think.
* There is a new couple from Australia. I hope they make a lot more videos.

Have I been missing the best ones? Who do you like?
Before reading the other 9 pages of this thread (yikes!), I'll give you 2 that deserve more viewers:

Two Afloat Sailing - a lively couple and him with a life changing affliction.
Keep Turning Left - this likable fellow produces quality stuff.
Old 16-04-2017, 16:49   #143

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

I am mostly in awe of being young and finding a way to sail around the world while others pay for it. They are doing it the honorable way. Providing a service that has enough value that people are happy to pay for it. I doubt that 1 in a 1000 can pull it off though.

The Vagabond couple are ridiculously good looking and likeable, down to earth real people. The Delos crew put out a higher quality video product than a lot of television shows do. Kudos to the cruiser youtube stars.

Not sure I would even try to do it unless I had a babe for fiends to google at. Some social babble to entertain folks. I have three dogs that the dog people would enjoy. Most people want to watch a real family.

Three dogs? Yes....security is a real big problem. Built in the middle of nowhere. Then a bunch of committed, unemployed potheads moved into the area. They think I'm rich and it is A-OK to relieve me of my possessions.
Old 16-04-2017, 17:07   #144

I love watching the original and best - Drake Paragon.

We don't watch much of the rest anymore.

My wife and I have agreed that most of the other YouTube Look at us, we went off sailing Videos, are embarrassing and blatant attempts for us to sponsor / send money to them to help them fund their cruising lifestyle and it's formulaic.

I'm particularly embarrassed for one young couple who are did some seriously cringe inducing fashion photo shoots on their boat, and usually have blatantly skimpy pics of the missus on the website in a blatant effort to attract more followers = funds.

Just my opinion and we can decide not to watch, no harm, no foul.
Old 16-04-2017, 17:30   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
There have been 45 responses to consider. Some are thoughtful, others are insightful. Others seem to be filled with jealousy and hate.
Agreed. But I just discovered a way to ignore Mr. Angry Pants. Try it.
Old 16-04-2017, 17:41   #146

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
Two Afloat Sailing - a lively couple and him with a life changing affliction.
I tried, but I can't get behind a dude that thinks it's cute to talk about his Johnson all the time. It ain't cute, it's infantile. I don't care how disabled he is.

Quote:
Keep Turning Left - this likable fellow produces quality stuff.
This one, I'll look into.

For a likeable fellow, I found this old geezer who I've really enjoyed watching, Adventures of an old Seadog
https://youtu.be/i1_MuxVM2iE

Sailing Uma is really good as well, no pimping the wife out, just sailing and adventuring (and lots of re-engineering).
Old 16-04-2017, 17:46   #147

I am subscribe to 62 different sailing channels including all of the above mentioned initially I did this to learn from their experiences I find them mostly tourist information and not really about sailing
Old 16-04-2017, 18:26   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I tried, but I can't get behind a dude that thinks it's cute to talk about his Johnson all the time. It ain't cute, it's infantile. I don't care how disabled he is.

This one, I'll look into.

For a likeable fellow, I found this old geezer who I've really enjoyed watching, Adventures of an old Seadog
https://youtu.be/i1_MuxVM2iE

Sailing Uma is really good as well, no pimping the wife out, just sailing and adventuring (and lots of re-engineering).
Two Afloat - I hear what you say about infantile humor and was even surprised by it. But the rest of the content is good.

Seadog - I just saw him for the first time yesterday...will watch some more.

Uma - yes, another good channel. The guy has some good skills.
Old 16-04-2017, 18:33   #149

My thoughts are endless on how to "ramp up" viewership should wifey and I ever decide to dive into the Patreon shell game. That's the fun part of being creative, and a "cut above" the rest. Mindless lemmings ... the worlds oldest profession ... t-back and topless ... member only rewards ... and well ... hahaha

I liked circumnavigators SV Slick (now not sailing much), and Alex Rust (R.I.P.). They never asked for bread. All others have become boring, yet I'll continue to keep an eye on their Patreon totals ($$$) and the number of lifeless lemmings jumping into their pots each month. It's a fun game.
Old 16-04-2017, 19:11   #150

Boat: OPBs

Good on them. They're making a product that people want to watch and there are some that want to help them continue so they can continue to watch. It's great that there's a choice to pay and not.

The ones I watch, SLV, Delos, Sailing Uma, WhiteSpotPirates, GonewiththeWynns, and a few others, are very clear about their beginnings and how they've funded it so there's no need to be so cynical and call out some imaginary con. It's simply not the case. If you don't like it, don't support it, everyone's happy. The continual harping on about some con and making up stories about people to support an argument is getting pretty old though. It's just jealousy, at the end of the day, despite the many contrary protestations.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard