Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 11:43   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Your New Priorities as a Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
It’s under 1% for those who are not already nearing end of life ...

OK. Few young die from it. True.

But I am 50+.

And my mother is 76.

Hence I do not care that only 1% of people aged 0-30 die. I am not them.

I mind MY business, and I do so while trying not to expose anybody in my neighbourhood, whatever age they are, to the bloody thing - should I catch it.

The thread says: 'your new priorities' hence I discuss here MY priorities, not those of the young and healthy population.

So, my priority is to MAKE IT, to survive, to go to the West Indies once again perhaps.

In spite of most of my neighbours trying to catch it and pass it, in spite of politicians telling us "we will only have a handful of cases here". FOOLS.

b.
Old 29-07-2020, 11:51   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaiden View Post
Well... if you are comfortable with that then I am glad for you. I am also a health nut, a vegan, only eat, drink organic and installed a water filter because the town water is god awful and very poorly rated by EWG. But I won't touch bleach. Honestly, take a look at the 7th Generation cleaning products.
Best of luck to you, to everyone out there. In my mind the safest place to be is sailing the deep blue seas.
'Night now....
As a boy scout we were taught to sanitize questionable drinking water with bleach, 8-10 drops per gallon of water. Then we'd add some kool-aid to kill the bleach taste.

Do you have a financial interest in 7th generation?

cite: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/B...erPurification
Old 29-07-2020, 12:13   #48

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Your playing with your, and others, well being, and maybe your/their life with this attitude.

I know of one guy who had covid, he ended up having a mild stoke from the blood clotting, needed physical therapy to walk again, and is now having memory issues (he doesn't remember having covid and thinks he's been working the whole time). He's in his early 60s.

This is not something to take lightly.

You definitely do not want covid, we don't even know the full range of lasting health effects yet, and won't for years.

If masks and social distancing work and you do that, it shouldn’t matter what others do, if a bar is crowded don’t go, if someone spits on their hand and reaches out, don’t shake it.

Your friend had a stroke from covid??
Old 29-07-2020, 12:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK. Few young die from it. True.

But I am 50+.

And my mother is 76.

Hence I do not care that only 1% of people aged 0-30 die. I am not them.

I mind MY business, and I do so while trying not to expose anybody in my neighbourhood, whatever age they are, to the bloody thing - should I catch it.

The thread says: 'your new priorities' hence I discuss here MY priorities, not those of the young and healthy population.

So, my priority is to MAKE IT, to survive, to go to the West Indies once again perhaps.

In spite of most of my neighbours trying to catch it and pass it, in spite of politicians telling us "we will only have a handful of cases here". FOOLS.

b.
I’d say if you are both healthy and active otherwise, I doubt it’s of large concern.

Further more, if I was 76, death isn’t too far away, even worse than death you ability of enjoy life is becoming very short lived, think getting out there, travel, family, friends, all would be worth more than the ability stretch life too far only to die hooked to machines tasting colors and with mashed potatoes for a brain at 90

Living life afraid of death is a curse of knowing ones mortality as a human.
Everyone needs to adjust their own scale of risk, and only their own scale, if my time was limited on earth at the ripe age of 76, I would probably take more chances then I would at 40 or 50. You are going to bet larger when you have fewer chips left on the table, might as well enjoy the game.
Old 29-07-2020, 14:37   #50

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

Further more, if I was 76, death isn’t too far away, even worse than death you ability of enjoy life is becoming very short lived, think getting out there, travel, family, friends, all would be worth more than the ability stretch life too far only to die hooked to machines tasting colors and with mashed potatoes for a brain at 90
You know life expectancy is growing right? People are regularly living to 100. Tell a 25 year old that his birth wasn't too far away...lol

Seriously though we were just having this conversation about serious treatments for people in their 70s... they are no longer on death's door and doctors these days must have some serious moral rethinking to do about recommendations.
Old 29-07-2020, 15:01   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

MacBlaze,

Not especially arguing about what to do about or not do......
There is another side to the argument you are making. I’m 69 and healthy as is my Wife, I don’t want Covid to mess up the next 3-5 years of my retirement. Nor do I want to loose the last few active years of my life.

Just as the first basket in a basketball game is as important as the last my next few years are as important as my last few years, maybe more because I have a better statistical chance of living through them.

My challenge is to figure out how to make these next years fulfilling while remaining safe from the virus and the herd. Still working on that. But it’s complicated, not as simple as some arguments suggest.
Old 29-07-2020, 15:06   #52

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
MacBlaze,

Not especially arguing about what to do about or not do......
There is another side to the argument you are making. I’m 69 and healthy as is my Wife, I don’t want Covid to mess up the next 3-5 years of my retirement. Nor do I want to loose the last few active years of my life.

Just as the first basket is as important as the last my next few years are as important as my last few years, maybe more.

My challenge is to figure out how to make these years fulfilling while remaining safe from the virus and the herd. Still working on that. But it’s complicated, not as simple as some arguments suggest.
Not sure what argument you thought I was making? I was just suggesting that 76 is not old anymore. And you are absolutely right it gets more complex with each succeeding decade.
Old 29-07-2020, 15:10   #53

Certainly not. And even if I did, what difference does that make? Do some research instead of just dismissing outright what others are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
As a boy scout we were taught to sanitize questionable drinking water with bleach, 8-10 drops per gallon of water. Then we'd add some kool-aid to kill the bleach taste.

Do you have a financial interest in 7th generation?

cite: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/B...erPurification
Old 29-07-2020, 15:15   #54

There is a huge increase of the virus among young people, people under 50, people in their 20's and 30's. Largely because they are not heeding the warnings of the scientists, those than are doing the research, to wear masks and social distance. Further, many of those young people, while they may survive, pass it on to others who may not be so lucky.

Quote:
I’d say if you are both healthy and active otherwise, I doubt it’s of large concern.

Living life afraid of death is a curse of knowing ones mortality as a human.
Everyone needs to adjust their own scale of risk, and only their own scale, if my time was limited on earth at the ripe age of 76, I would probably take more chances then I would at 40 or 50. You are going to bet larger when you have fewer chips left on the table, might as well enjoy the game.
Old 29-07-2020, 22:52   #55

Boat: Island Packet 40

I am really hoping that this is not setting a precedent for every flu season in the future.
Old 29-07-2020, 23:19   #56

76 is old.
Many “living” at 90 don’t have much of a life, it’s more existing.

I will also add, in the US the #3 cause of death, quarter million dead a year are from doctors screw ups, medical blunders. Just remember before you take the word of a doctor like the word of god, trust your own judgement and make your own choices, don’t defer to someone because they have a MD after their name.
Old 30-07-2020, 03:06   #57
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep.blue View Post
I hope your wife finds a way! The injustice comes so easily to those in power.

Your comment brought me out of the shadows. I’ve lurked here for a while to learn and to get a flavor of the kinds of people who cruise and explore. I’ve been very disappointed by the overall lack of resolve you mention above. I expected free spirits on boats, roaming where they wish, independent, self-reliant, and suspicious of any do-gooders who would wield violence against the innocent. And much (not all) of what I hear here is complaining and a defending of the powers that be with the melodrama and shaming to match. I honestly would hate to be stranded with such types with no will to solve problems and thrive. I hope this is due merely to the kind of people drawn to online forums. I’m encouraged the spirit of the sea is alive with some.
Hi Deep blue and welcome to CF

Your percieved image of world cruiser's as swashbuckling rebels who bang heads with officialdom made me smile.

We're smarter than that!

Having had a lifetime of worldwide adventures at sea, the one thing Wind and Weather teaches you is....
....Humility!

You learn when its practical to beat against the wind and when it makes sense to "hove to" and protect your back.

Most of us have already achieved our goals of a having a sound ship and the knowledge to manage it in any destination we choose.

Weather you can predict, but how this pandemic will change the social and travel landscape, is still a guess.

Hpeer and I think alike.

When you are a foreigner caught inside a national panic....
...Keep low key and accept whatever edicts are created overnight.

Trying to Tip Windmills is a waste of energy, best saved for things you can achieve.

Someone asked "why don't you just leave?"

That's not easy when your partner has visa restrictions, your not a resident of your own country and you have assets and a real love for the Philippines and Asia.

I do have a number of sail away contingency plans if the local situation becomes dangerous, but again, the Sea teaches you to be patient and not make rash decisions based on emotions.
Old 30-07-2020, 05:33   #58

Quote:
If masks and social distancing work and you do that, it shouldn’t matter what others do, if a bar is crowded don’t go, if someone spits on their hand and reaches out, don’t shake it.

Your friend had a stroke from covid??
https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/25/...complications/

and this is only very short term, nobody knows what long term complications might be
Old 30-07-2020, 05:38   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaiden View Post
Certainly not. And even if I did, what difference does that make? Do some research instead of just dismissing outright what others are saying.
1. It would be 'spamming'.

2. Bleach is safe and effective when used correctly.
Old 30-07-2020, 06:49   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You know life expectancy is growing right? People are regularly living to 100. Tell a 25 year old that his birth wasn't too far away...lol

Seriously though we were just having this conversation about serious treatments for people in their 70s... they are no longer on death's door and doctors these days must have some serious moral rethinking to do about recommendations.
It’s actually not, not in the US anyway, you decide as to why, I have my own opinions. There was I think a slight bump up this year, but statistically insignificant. https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-...xpectdrop.html

But some are old and die in their 50’s or earlier, always have, and some enjoy good health way beyond the norm, so to say someone had issues and was only 60 doesn’t mean much, someone else didn’t at 80, that doesn’t mean anything either, not when your talking about averages or norms.

So far as bleach being bad, I’m sure there are some that have a reaction to it, but I’d bet many more would have reactions to the water borne illnesses of old should Chlorine disinfection of water would cease.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard