Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 10:47   #61
cruiser

Boat: 32í Sloop
Re: Your New Priorities as a Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Deep blue and welcome to CF

Your percieved image of world cruiser's as swashbuckling rebels who bang heads with officialdom made me smile.

We're smarter than that!

Having had a lifetime of worldwide adventures at sea, the one thing Wind and Weather teaches you is....
....Humility!

You learn when its practical to beat against the wind and when it makes sense to "hove to" and protect your back.

Most of us have already achieved our goals of a having a sound ship and the knowledge to manage it in any destination we choose.

Weather you can predict, but how this pandemic will change the social and travel landscape, is still a guess.

Hpeer and I think alike.

When you are a foreigner caught inside a national panic....
...Keep low key and accept whatever edicts are created overnight.

Trying to Tip Windmills is a waste of energy, best saved for things you can achieve.

Someone asked "why don't you just leave?"

That's not easy when your partner has visa restrictions, your not a resident of your own country and you have assets and a real love for the Philippines and Asia.

I do have a number of sail away contingency plans if the local situation becomes dangerous, but again, the Sea teaches you to be patient and not make rash decisions based on emotions.
Iíd say blind faith in groups proven unworthy of that trust is more hazardous to ones health.

Also interested in how you predict weather, anything over 12hrs out is 75% a crapshoot.
Old 30-07-2020, 10:51   #62

The chlorine which is used to treat public drinking water is quite different from straight bleach, diluted or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Itís actually not, not in the US anyway, you decide as to why, I have my own opinions. There was I think a slight bump up this year, but statistically insignificant. https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-...xpectdrop.html

But some are old and die in their 50ís or earlier, always have, and some enjoy good health way beyond the norm, so to say someone had issues and was only 60 doesnít mean much, someone else didnít at 80, that doesnít mean anything either, not when your talking about averages or norms.

So far as bleach being bad, Iím sure there are some that have a reaction to it, but Iíd bet many more would have reactions to the water borne illnesses of old should Chlorine disinfection of water would cease.
Old 30-07-2020, 10:55   #63

I know of and read about many many people upwards of 70, in their 80's, even older, who are living well, independen, who are mentally competent, alert, involved, full of life. I just wish people would stop generalizing. Generalizing results in misinformation, bad advice and disregard for the complexities of life on this planet in all its forms, including elder humans.

Quote:
Itís actually not, not in the US anyway, you decide as to why, I have my own opinions. There was I think a slight bump up this year, but statistically insignificant. https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-...xpectdrop.html

But some are old and die in their 50ís or earlier, always have, and some enjoy good health way beyond the norm, so to say someone had issues and was only 60 doesnít mean much, someone else didnít at 80, that doesnít mean anything either, not when your talking about averages or norms.

So far as bleach being bad, Iím sure there are some that have a reaction to it, but Iíd bet many more would have reactions to the water borne illnesses of old should Chlorine disinfection of water would cease.
Old 30-07-2020, 10:59   #64

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

I grew up thinking 73 and then poof. But as your chart says, if I make it to 65 then the norm is living to at least 85. And given the heart attacks, cancer and other gotchas that are lurking to kill us, I have to think if you are one of the "lucky" ones that 90 is not out of the question as a good bet.

But predicting you are going to be enfeebled by 77? That just not true anymore. Do you have a fairly good chance of being a wreck by then? Sure if you've mistreated yourself most of your life, have "bad" genes or are just plain unlucky. But for the most part I think mid-seventies is more likely the time you start to think that maybe a powerboat might be easier on the old bones than a sailboatónot giving up, crawling into a hole and starting to waste away. Of course your mileage may vary.

(I could just be fooling myself I guess. Wishful thinking and all that. Personally I would still be happy wth the 73.)
Old 30-07-2020, 12:14   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I grew up thinking 73 and then poof. But as your chart says, if I make it to 65 then the norm is living to at least 85. And given the heart attacks, cancer and other gotchas that are lurking to kill us, I have to think if you are one of the "lucky" ones that 90 is not out of the question as a good bet.

But predicting you are going to be enfeebled by 77? That just not true anymore. Do you have a fairly good chance of being a wreck by then? Sure if you've mistreated yourself most of your life, have "bad" genes or are just plain unlucky. But for the most part I think mid-seventies is more likely the time you start to think that maybe a powerboat might be easier on the old bones than a sailboatónot giving up, crawling into a hole and starting to waste away. Of course your mileage may vary.

(I could just be fooling myself I guess. Wishful thinking and all that. Personally I would still be happy wth the 73.)
MY FIL is in his late 70s, still works (if you can call it that) part time at Orvis as a fly fishing guide and shooting instructor.
Old 30-07-2020, 12:20   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep.blue View Post
I hope your wife finds a way! The injustice comes so easily to those in power.

Your comment brought me out of the shadows. Iíve lurked here for a while to learn and to get a flavor of the kinds of people who cruise and explore. Iíve been very disappointed by the overall lack of resolve you mention above. I expected free spirits on boats, roaming where they wish, independent, self-reliant, and suspicious of any do-gooders who would wield violence against the innocent. And much (not all) of what I hear here is complaining and a defending of the powers that be with the melodrama and shaming to match. I honestly would hate to be stranded with such types with no will to solve problems and thrive. I hope this is due merely to the kind of people drawn to online forums. Iím encouraged the spirit of the sea is alive with some.
Don't worry not everyone on on CF is a flaming liberal. There are plenty of us here who are the free spirited, self reliant non cry baby types. Most of us are former military service who had plenty of others telling us what to do for those years. We decide where we sail, when we come and when we go...not some barney fife politician.

Yes, the majority of people on forums are liberals, as they're attracted to 'problems' like moths to a flame We just work around them on the forums by PMing one another, yeah, we have our own problems, mostly lack of ammo not targets

I beat cancer, I served my Country, go ahead, TRY and dictate to me...
Old 30-07-2020, 12:32   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
IslandInfedel,

Next time you want to spout off about what a government can and cannot do, make sure you know what you're talking about. I taught government at two universities. They do have the right to make rules concerning public health. Don't you think our Founders knew about plagues?

Maje
No Maje, I don't recall OUR Country's (AMERICA) Founders mentioning ANYTHING of the sort. You may have 'indoctrinated' 'students' with YOUR 'interpretation' of History, but that does'nt mean you can dictate to another person to kowtow to ANY politician Those idiots SERVE AT OUR PLEASURE, though since you 'taught' history you KNOW there is NO SUCH THING AS AN HONEST SERVING POLITICIAN

The American Government can't do Jack Sh!t without the People's consent! They are not entitled to anything that allows them to 'rule' the population! This is'nt England, America will always be the Home of the Brave and Land of the Free.

Since the USA Corp and Fed took control of the American Government in 1913 they have run OUR Country with an iron fist. Wait until Nov elections are over and see what happens. OUR Country is going to be 'returned' to it's rightful owners, The American People

Why not stay aboard and 'educate' some locals where you are, I'm sure they'd love your opinion of their situation.

Yeah, YOU'VE been schooled!
Old 30-07-2020, 12:38   #68

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
No Maje, I don't recall OUR Country's (AMERICA) Founders mentioning ANYTHING of the sort. You may have 'indoctrinated' 'students' with YOUR 'interpretation' of History, but that does'nt mean you can dictate to another person to kowtow to ANY politician Those idiots SERVE AT OUR PLEASURE, though since you 'taught' history you KNOW there is NO SUCH THING AS AN HONEST SERVING POLITICIAN

The American Government can't do Jack Sh!t without the People's consent! They are not entitled to anything that allows them to 'rule' the population! This is'nt England, America will always be the Home of the Brave and Land of the Free.

Since the USA Corp and Fed took control of the American Government in 1913 they have run OUR Country with an iron fist. Wait until Nov elections are over and see what happens. OUR Country is going to be 'returned' to it's rightful owners, The American People

Why not stay aboard and 'educate' some locals where you are, I'm sure they'd love your opinion of their situation.

Yeah, YOU'VE been schooled!
Quote:
From from the US National Library of Medicine's web pages on The History of the Public Health Service:

"The 1870 reorganization [of the Marine Hospital Service] also changed the general character of the Service. It became national in scope and military in outlook and organization. Medical officers, called surgeons, were required to pass entrance examinations and wear uniforms. In 1889, when the Commissioned Corps was formally recognized by legislative action, the medical officers were given titles and pay corresponding to Army and Navy grades. Physicians who passed the examinations were appointed to the general service, rather than to a particular hospital, and were assigned wherever needed. The goal was to create a professional, mobile, health corps, free as possible from political favoritism and patronage, and able to deal with the new health needs of a rapidly growing and industrializing nation."
Epidemics of contagious diseases, such as small pox, yellow fever, and cholera, had devastating effects throughout the 19th century. They killed many people, spread panic and fear, disrupted government, and caused Congress to enact laws to stop their importation and spread. As a result of these new laws, the functions of the MHS were expanded greatly beyond the medical relief of the sick seamen to include the supervision of national quarantine (ship inspection and disinfection), the medical inspection of immigrants, the prevention of interstate spread of disease, and general investigations in the field of public health, such as that of yellow fever epidemics."
Sheesh.
Old 30-07-2020, 12:40   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Ofcourse they knew about people getting sick,, not sure Iíd call this a plague, as that term conjures up images of events that had a much higher mortality and morbidity rate.

I keep reading the bill of rights, I donít see where it says that our rights are void if there is a virus going around. Could you imagine how pointless those rights would be if all some tyrant had to do was wait until flu season, play the sickness card, and ďlegallyĒ violate everyoneís rights?!
IslandInfidel, You are dealing with a card carrying liberal college professor, don't waste your time. He was part of the problem that has engulfed our Country. If he actually taught REAL history, there would be many more young Patriots voicing their opinions. Problem is what we see on America's streets protesting are a DIRECT result of their piss poor education in HISTORY!

Wait until his 'pension' goes 'POOF' and is no more. He'll be wishing he had REALLY TAUGHT HISTORY then Teachers Union largest investors in the CHINESE Military Fund
Old 30-07-2020, 13:08   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I am really hoping that this is not setting a precedent for every flu season in the future.
You can bet that it won't be in America...It got old after the first month watching politicians go on tv with new haircuts, going out to dinner at expensive UNCROWDED resturants, and the 1% flying around in their private jets to their 'second homes', which incidentally were on islands.

Not happening again...
Old 30-07-2020, 13:28   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post

I donít think it ever was, just ďback in the dayĒ many more children died, many diseases that are no longer with us were running rampant, diets were bad, and in my opinion they are bad again, but there was a time in between they werenít.
But Cancer deaths were higher, everybody smoked, and deaths from heart attack etc were far more common.

But, if you were the type there didnít smoke, ate decently healthy and were lucky enough to not get Cholera or whatever else was going around, you may live to a very old age, old age runs in my Fathers family, in fact it seems that they live until Cancer gets them in advanced age, I mean over 100.
None of my Mothers brothers made it past 50ish I donít think.

Anyway average age at death is exactly that, so infant deaths etc skew the average.
Old 30-07-2020, 13:34   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK I deleted a couple of political posts.
If you make political posts, it’s likely you will receive a strike, three strikes and your banned from the forum.
Old 30-07-2020, 13:44   #73

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Wow the clamdigger and the infedel are a whole new level of uncaring nutjob.
Glad I am not sharing the same waterways and air as them.
Old 30-07-2020, 13:46   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Miami did not take covid19 seriously and as as of today in Miami-Dade County population 2.7 million, positivity rate is 30%, total cases 101,854 and deaths 1379.
I know people don't want to hear this, but damned-near everyone is going to catch this, eventually.

If we ever had an opportunity to keep this from becoming endemic, we missed it back in December.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/os...des-2020-07-30
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard