Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 18:11   #121

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig
Re: Young People Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My prediction has been that we are seeing the peak of cruising as a retirement lifestyle. I believe it will decline as the Baby Boomer generation sails off into the sunset.

It’s all about economics; by every credible measurement the generations following the baby boom have become poorer. And not just financially poorer, but also live a life that is far more precarious and uncertain.

Real income for the vast majority of people in most western countries have stagnated or even declined. Costs for most important things in life (housing, education, retirement) have increased disproportionally. And quality jobs — jobs that paid well — have diminished or disappeared all together. Today we’ve replaced stability and well paying jobs with unstable, poorly paying, “gig” jobs.

(BTW, I’ve always been a freelancer, long before the notion of the “gig economy” existed. I’m used to living this precarious lifestyle.)

In this new economic reality fewer people can afford the luxury of owning a largish cruising boat. And even fewer will be able to cut the lines and take off. There will always be some who will find a way, but those will be the exception, not the rule.

In this light, I appreciate some of the ideas that a few on this thread have addressed. I have no idea what the OP’s take is since they never did explain what their “unique” issues are. But my take is that the issues faced by younger generations are less about age, and mostly about economics.
I agree with you totally.
Raggedglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 19:08   #122
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

The older I get the more I believe in the old adage that youth is wasted on the young.

Look at my Avatar, and that's on a good day.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 21:37   #123
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Too soon old, too late schmart…
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 21:39   #124
cruiser

And money is wasted on the old!
Old 25-09-2018, 06:33   #125

Boat: Hughes 35

Wow, some very serious thoughts in here. As the OP let me clarify.

1. Facebook is not "dead" just because 'you' decided not to use it anymore because it is "worse than the NSA for spying on you". It's very much a valid community, dare I say more so than internet forums.

2. "Old" isn't a number in my original post. It's a state of mind. Reading the nine pages of discussion in this thread, it's very clear who those "Old" people are, and who the open minded salty sea dogs are. We are in our 30's and get along extremely well with the salty sea dogs that nurture the sailing world with their great knowledge and advice.

I hope that helps clarify. We "young" (term used loosely) cruisers do have some different problems. We also have different interests. While we completely respect, admire, and love learning from the more experienced crowd, many of us are tired of being talked down to or told we can't do something. Again, not by all of the more experienced, just the subset.

We (lady k sailing) love this forum and love all of you cruisers who have made this journey possible for us with your wealth of knowledge, advice, and leadership. We also would love somewhere to share discussions not polluted by the asshats.
timlabute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:42   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlabute View Post
Hey all, while I love this forum and most of the cruising Facebook Pages, I searched for a group dedicated to the unique discussions, questions, and problems the younger cruisers face. I had to create such a group and hope you'll join me. Younger crowd helping each other and a group not filled with questions that should have been googled.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/813683812326274/
Get off my lawn!

Hah, sorry couldn't resist!
ecumedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:47   #127
cruiser

https://pics.me.me/old-man-yells-at-...i-15118521.png
Old 25-09-2018, 11:14   #128

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

timlabute - "Old" isn't a number in my original post. It's a state of mind."

Exactly ! That's why I tell people I have the Gilligan Syndrome.

Although, at 56 I can tell you I'm definitely not the young man I used to be. No more party like a rock star for me. Too many drinks and I start looking for a place to go to sleep ! Lol

Seriously, what really makes me feel old is the fact that I have to use "readers" more and more. As in "Dagnabbit I just can't see what I'm looking at !" So frustrating sometimes....!!!!

Y'all go man, do your thing. As "BT Express" sings - "Everybody knows just what they like to do. Whatever it is - do it ! Long as it please you. Just take some time, and relax your mind. And do it - do it - do it till your satisfied !"

Yeah, and maybe my music choices show my age a little too ! HA !
Old 25-09-2018, 11:28   #129

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Or is it about sailing issues for which you need actual experience? Then you need seasoned sailors to tell you that crossing the Atlantic E-W in September is stupid.
If this were true Columbus never would have discovered America. Both his first and second voyages were in September.
First voyage left Canaries 6 Sept sighted land 12 October.
Second voyage departed Cadiz 24 Sept sighted land (Dominica) 2 Nov.

If you followed the advice of all the BS you read on this forum you'd never get out of bed.
Old 25-09-2018, 12:23   #130

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

1. Facebook is not "dead" just because 'you' decided not to use it anymore because it is "worse than the NSA for spying on you". It's very much a valid community, dare I say more so than internet forums.
Yes, but some of us still care about our privacy, and not handing over more of ourselves than required to a monster corporation who’s mandate is to sell us more crap. You may not care about this, but many of us do (both old and young).

It’s an eyes-wide-open reality with FB, and indeed all other Internet platforms. Nothing comes for free. Just understand what you’re selling when you use these tools.

Quote:
… I hope that helps clarify. We "young" (term used loosely) cruisers do have some different problems. We also have different interests. While we completely respect, admire, and love learning from the more experienced crowd, many of us are tired of being talked down to or told we can't do something. Again, not by all of the more experienced, just the subset.
So, you still haven’t told us what these “different problems” are. Is it a secret? Do I have to join your FB group to find out?
Old 25-09-2018, 13:24   #131
cruiser

Quote:

We also would love somewhere to share discussions not polluted by the asshats.
Lovely... what a wonderful appreciative attitude.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 18:21   #132

Tim, if I may be so bold, you’ll always get naysayers. You could be picking your favorite flavor of ice cream and someone else will have an opinion on why your wrong. All you can do is be you.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 17:28   #133
cruiser

Dear young people,

"Don't Vote!"

https://youtu.be/t0e9guhV35o
Old 26-09-2018, 17:35   #134

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Love that John. Thanks.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 18:40   #135

Quote:

...We also would love somewhere to share discussions not polluted by the asshats.
Textbook irony.
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising