Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 03:47   #31

Re: You only have 3 choices

Bear in mind the Rustler's have been bid up massively as a result of being eligible for the GGR. They are much more expensive than they used to be.
In any event the HR is of exceptional quality. Better than the Rustler and in a different league to the Moody. Hence the price difference.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:36   #32

Boat: Atlantic 57

Even a quite active cruiser spends the vast majority of time in the harbor. If you sail 8,000nm/year, which is pretty busy, that's something like 2,000 hours on a boat this size - so that leaves you 6,760 hours sitting in the harbor. Buy the one that's most comfortable and convenient and pleasant, and sails well enough not to disappoint you underway. I'm guessing the HR is that boat.
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:59   #33

Thanks for all of the input...which is great... just a note that when I'm at anchor or in the harbour most of my time would be spent on shore with Emma my border collie. My schedule would look like this for the first year - move to Falmouth which is very good base in which to search out the boat. Buy the sailboat and use my 6 months sailing in and around the south coast of England and the Solent. After 6 months (have to exit UK since I'm Canadian) and sail over to France, Spain and
Portugal for 3 months...then return back to UK for another 3 months minimum....so you can see it's a fairly active plan with lots on the go and always moving onto new places and experiences!
Dennis Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:19   #34

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clarke View Post
I believe I did mention in my opening statement about price..but the list will not go above £95K asking, 36 ft in length and year 2000 will be tops for year since everything else newer goes way up in price.
There is a fully sorted Rustler 36 for sale in Plymouth - under £80k!

https://www.red-ensign.com/boats/rustler-36-5/

I hear it was fitted out for world cruising then there was some "domestic issue" which has led to her being for sale (quite sad really)

She is a beauty and if I had the money...
SailMoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 18:37   #35

I've been following these guys on a regular basis and have seen what they have plus in contact with Red Ensign...but thanks for the heads up
Old 02-05-2020, 18:41   #36

The one I really like is the 2001 for £94,000
Old 03-05-2020, 06:49   #37

Boat: Sabre 36

Many great points about how to choose between three boat options (glad the field was limited to only 3). My two sense worth...

All three appeared well appointed and none particularly more comfortable than the other. Design is limited by the interior volume and they all share roughly the same spec in this regard. I would opt for a two cabin design, all else being equal, over the quarter berth; if anyone joins you, you will still have some privacy.

I would prioritize sailing characteristics between these boats since there is little all that different about the living space. When you raise the hook the love affair begins. There has to be a big difference between how these three boats sail, their speeds, how they maneuver, and feel in a seaway. The Rustler has to be the slowest and least maneuverable of the three. The HR is a tried and true blue water German Frers design that is safe and relatively fast, well constructed and beautiful. If the price is the deciding factor then remove it from the list and choose between the two or consider other boats. If you spend more than you can afford then you might not have the scratch to fix the things that break which is likely to happen at equal rates on boats of the same vintage. When you sell your boat (and you will someday unless you, god forbid, sink her) you will get more money for the HR but probably lose just as much no matter which one you buy. Some models sell faster than others (newer, well maintained, well constructed, popular ones).
ridingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:28   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clarke View Post
The one I really like is the 2001 for £94,000
Good comments here. As you can see sailors simply love to compare boats - especially when they don’t need to actually pay for any but the one they are already “stuck” with
Myself included.

Didn’t realise you actually plan to buy in the UK. In Mexico the options are way narrower. Few thoughts:
1. By the winter this year if not earlier, prices are most likely To drop by 30-50%. We are running into a global recession that will probably have an effect on the ability to generate income from any boat. I already see a drop of 20-30% vs last spring. - so I would wait, especially in the UK. In the business world we are calling it a “red ocean”
2. Deck stepped mast is fine in a good boat; all three are among the best around so the mast is well supported with extended standing rigging, compression post and deck sole. If you want a dry bilge you start with a deck stepped mast.
3. I know it was only a question about these three, but given the purchasing area in Western Europe you could add a Najad and Contest (disclaimer - I have one...) that are at least as great as the HR.

The greatest fun is boat (window) shopping. Well, maybe sailing is a bit more.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33   #39

Boat: Sabre 36

Also Malo... but I understand that of three manufacturers mentioned from the island of Orust only HR is open for business so you might get better support with the Rassy. Malo has the benefit of an aft cockpit which may be preferable in a boat this size. Another personal preference issue that we don't need to go into. Oh, why not? The aft cabin on a center cockpit 36 footer has to be pretty small so wouldn't it be preferable to have a more spaceous main cabin and be more protected in an aft cockpit when at sea? I would take any of the 3 boats from Orust but I would research which one goes faster. They are all stable, extremely well constructed and beautifully appointed.
ridingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:51   #40

Good stuff.. I had also looked into the Najad and Malo (although I don't really like the overhead traveller system) but otherwise a nice well built boat...and you are very correct in waiting to see what happens within the sailing market... but to be sure when the time comes and thanks to everyone's input I'LL be well equipped to make a qualified decision...if there ever was such a thing on a sailing boat��
Old 03-05-2020, 10:08   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Agree with everything, except...
Center cockpit by all means provide you with the safest, dryer position for offshore performance cruising. Especially with the hard dodger (or the sprayhood as called in the other side of the pond). Add to it a strong bimini with rolled panels all around and you get the motorsailer/pilot house treat fully capable performance all-weather sailing boat.
Not the ideal in Med summers or on the hook in the Caribbeans so very much depends on where you’re going to sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingdog View Post
Also Malo... but I understand that of three manufacturers mentioned from the island of Orust only HR is open for business so you might get better support with the Rassy. Malo has the benefit of an aft cockpit which may be preferable in a boat this size. Another personal preference issue that we don't need to go into. Oh, why not? The aft cabin on a center cockpit 36 footer has to be pretty small so wouldn't it be preferable to have a more spaceous main cabin and be more protected in an aft cockpit when at sea? I would take any of the 3 boats from Orust but I would research which one goes faster. They are all stable, extremely well constructed and beautifully appointed.