Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 22:53   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: You only have 3 choices

Also, agree no teak decks. Make sure the boat is not a dark color. Way too hot in warm climes.

All the Reustlers I’ve seen are fabulous. I can recommend one other boat for ya. Take a look at the Pacific Seacraft 33’&37’. They are excellent seaboats. They are well built and compete with the English Boat. They can be found ketch or sloop rigged. Another thing you will want to watch very carefully is the power plant. Ignore this thing and you might be making a 20K mistake. A lot of European boats use Volvo diesels. Whereas a lot of American boats use Yanmars. My favorite engine would be the Kabota diesels. Look at Beta marine on the west coast. The problem with Volvo is not the quality of the diesel. It is the availability of parts on this side of the blue planet. The cost of parts can be one thing. But trying to get the parts is another nightmare.

Also check the condition of the rigging and sails. Boat is one thing. But when you look at what needs to be repaired or replaced can sway a decision on the ledger sheet.

If you are single handing 37 feet is a pretty expensive platform. Seriously look at 30-33 footers. You might say, “well, Alan, that isn’t that much bigger of a boat than 30 to 33 footer. Why the fuss?” Exponential costs versus a smaller boat. You will not go broke on a smaller boat. On a nice Reustler or Pacific 37... whew... it can eat you alive. Seriously seriously think of long term costs. Haul outs, bottom paint, moorings, taxes, sails, dockage, diesel for bigger boats versus smaller boats.... on and on. It ain’t no joke. Think smaller
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 00:02   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Nothing wrong with a deck-stepped mast, especially on a 36' boat. Look at Hans Christians, Tayanas, etc... never heard of an issue with the mast being deck-stepped. As long as there is a proper compression post, one could argue that a deck-stepped mast is just as stable as keel-stepped, without the worry of water intrusion if you get knocked down at sea.
Agreed, plus I would take the fin keel over the long keel just for better handling in tight quarters. Also a much better aft cabin which on a 36ft hull is quite satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Moody not in the same class as the other two. Now you're down to two!
Oh, why do you say that, what is your experience with a mid sized Moody? I think the Moody and HR win on practicality as a live aboard yacht and both high quality yachts.

I suspect Denis is looking at the European market so whilst the Pacific Seacraft is a nice yacht, not many this side of the pond. Hence he is looking at HRs and Moody. Still not sure why HR command such a high price for what they are.

For the price of a Moody 36 there are some Moody 38s which are a really super yacht with both deep and shallow fins available. I suspect the reason they are similar prices is down to the high cost of moorings in the UK so folk prefer the slightly smaller Moody.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 05:48   #18

Thanks Cheeckako..I knew the Moody would be a distant 3rd but in reality it will come down to the other two..and with this virus senario in play it's going to be interesting as time goes on to see how the prices within the market are effected as the other person mentioned....By the way your "Tag line" in your profile is not only a classic but all too true
Dennis Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 05:55   #19

Both the PSC and IP 350 we're on my original list...but the selection in North America is very limited and your spending much more for what your getting..whereas in Europe the value and overall selection is "in my opinion" better value....as the VAT will be paid.
Old 16-04-2020, 08:49   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The Rustler has 2 problems as I see it.
A. The highly swept rudder can be a problem, boat steers oddly when heeled if I recall. Depends on the particular boat.

B. The biggest issue is the very low SA/D. You will wind up motoring a LOT more in the Rustler compared to the HR. Moody is listed as being low in sail area too, just not as bad. Check racing handicaps to confirm.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 12:37   #21

Boat: Moody 39

Well obviously I'm biased as a Moody owner myself, but we love ours (older/bigger than OP's prospective boat). You'll get more space and a relatively simple boat with no teak timebomb to worry about.

But it all depends on what you're actually going to use it for. Living on the hook, majority of the time singlehanded, planning on going a bit off-piste e.g. high latitudes, then the Rustler would be my choice.
If you definitely want a rugged, solid, old-school long keeler, then maybe worry less about age and open up your search a bit. For absolute peace of mind get something much older on the cheap and do a full refit. An older boat with encapsulated lead keel and solid layup (no core) can be refitted to good-as-new condition/ And as a bonus you will know every inch of her.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 05:53   #22

Thanks..it seems the more I look at different options the more I keep coming back to The Rustler.... understanding that no sailboat will be perfect but at least it will have many of the boxes checked off for what I'm looking for
Old 01-05-2020, 07:25   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saona 47

I loved my Rassy 34 so am biased to the HR. Look for one with a teak deck that's worn out and make a low offer. Replace with Flexiteak and avoid the heat issue (I only sailed in UK and Northern France so didn't notice this) plus improve stability by cutting the topside weight. Not one to do if you are trying to maximize resale as lots of people look at HR for the teak deck but it was always my nightmare I'd have to replace the deck and many would sell rather than go through that. I should say this wouldn't be a trivial job. Example of similar job in last month's Practical boat owner mag.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:49   #24

Thanks Chris...the HR 34 is a nice boat...and I could get one within my budget...would have to overcome the Tiller aspect that many of them originally come with...but like everyone says you won't find a perfect sailboat and if the Tiller was my only issue I could probably live with that
Old 01-05-2020, 07:59   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clarke View Post
Thanks Chris...the HR 34 is a nice boat...and I could get one within my budget...would have to overcome the Tiller aspect that many of them originally come with...but like everyone says you won't find a perfect sailboat and if the Tiller was my only issue I could probably live with that
Mine was wheel but that made the cabin an effective single berth. The 34 was unexpectedly quick. Best was 100nm in 12hrs. However actually I was a fan of the 36 for Ocean passages so was recommending that on the pick 1 of 3 basis.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05   #26

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Personally I would eliminate the Rustler due to the underbody shape and the lack of sailing performance.

Many Rustlers had big problems in the single handed round the world race. They won but there were several entered which had failures or did not finish and not too many other boat designs were allowed. It is not a modern design.

Sailboat design has advanced since that boat was conceived.

I know you emphasized live aboard but in my opinion that does not make a lot of sense if you don't enjoy sailing and you'll enjoy it much more with a boat designed with sailing performance in mind. I like the Moody.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:08   #27

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Don't consider a tiller to be a disadvantage. It is simpler, more reliable and takes less room in the boat. If you are single handing, doing ocean passages of any length, you'll probably want to be on a windvane and they work better wit a tiller.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:03   #28

I agree wingsail
Old 01-05-2020, 15:20   #29

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Very much depending on the actual condition, maintenance and inventory, but the HR would be by far, my number one choice.
The Moody is a little more modern in design and still well built in these years by Marine Projects, UK, however, she may be a little small for a center cockpit setup - and I'm a big fan of CC with cruisers. The Rustler is a very strong boat that sails very well.

- what matters, considering the boats are in the same level of maintenance and inventory (never the case of course) is which boat make you feel better, comfortable etc..

Quote:
As the heading states there are only 3 options here. The choice will between a Rustler 36, year 2000, a Hallberg Rassy also a 36 but will be around ,1996 or a Moody 36cc 1999, which comes in at £20,000 less than the others. Plan to live and cruise on.. mostly single handling... while picking up crew for extended periods. Each of these sailboats are capable of taking me wherever I want to go but would like your input if you were in a similar situation.
Old 01-05-2020, 16:29   #30

Boat: Backcove 29

Quote:
As the heading states there are only 3 options here. The choice will between a Rustler 36, year 2000, a Hallberg Rassy also a 36 but will be around ,1996 or a Moody 36cc 1999, which comes in at £20,000 less than the others. Plan to live and cruise on.. mostly single handling... while picking up crew for extended periods. Each of these sailboats are capable of taking me wherever I want to go but would like your input if you were in a similar situation.
As someone else stated the Moody is not in the same class. The HR is by far the best built and proven ocean voyager for single and double handing. The hard dodger is a great design when things get rough.
ebschenk82 is offline   Reply With Quote