Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 08:22   #376

Re: You Might Be a Liveaboard - if . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
When everyone else's life can to a stand still because the power went out you respond smugly "I didn't notice".
Bwahaha! A few months ago they shut the power off to my dock to renew the transformer ... I didn't even know until a power company employee walked down my dock to check on something and stopped to chat.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 09:34   #377

You might be a liveaboard if you do a calculation that price you pay for a beer at the waterside bar will provide you with lunches for several days if spent in the supermarket instead.

You might be a liveaboard if you know that the bottle of beer at the bar does not taste any better than the ones you drink in your boats cockpit too!
Old 23-07-2012, 09:19   #378

Boat: Mason 43

You might be a liveaboard if you friend is showing you color swatches for painting her kitchen and you cannot control the reflex to roll your eyes...
Sorry Yuliya, hope you have forgiven me!
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 17:08   #379

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

....you consider it a luxury to have a refrigerator instead of an ice box
....you consider 2 heads too many and convert one to a closet (so you won't have to fix the plumbing in that one!)
....you leave the boat with no less than 6 bags handing from your arms including the trash, the recycle, your laptop, your purse, a bag of laundry, your lunch, etc,
....when people ask you what it is like to live on a boat you describe it in the following way: live in your walk in closet with a hot plate, a portable potty. Bring everything you own through the window, fold most of your clothes, only hanging about 4-5 items, wear 2 pairs of shoes, one for good weather, and one for rain. Use your weather gear">foul weather gear for a raincoat, and share your twin bed with your spouse! And forget about a bath tub!!
Despite all the inconvenience, I LOVE IT!!!
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 17:45   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by IolantheSF

....you leave the boat with no less than 6 bags handing from your arms including the trash, the recycle, your laptop, your purse, a bag of laundry, your lunch, etc,

And how many times I've taken the trash all the way to work only to have to carry it in to toss away there...
And despite the inconveniences. I LOVE IT TOO!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 18:21   #381

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

You know you are a liveaboard:
... when you see a torn sail as an opportunity to make new bags
... when everyone is complaining about the high cost of rent or mortgage and yours is under $600, including utilities, in San Francisco.
...your idea of a vacation is just not going to work and moving the boat out of the marina for a few days.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 18:45   #382
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

You know you're a liveaboard when you know the exact date the Caspian terns arrived in June, and have a pretty good idea of when the Western grebes will come back in the fall.
Old 23-07-2012, 18:49   #383
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IolantheSF View Post
....you consider it a luxury to have a refrigerator instead of an ice box
....you consider 2 heads too many and convert one to a closet (so you won't have to fix the plumbing in that one!)
....when people ask you what it is like to live on a boat you describe it in the following way: live in your walk in closet with a hot plate, a portable potty. Bring everything you own through the window, fold most of your clothes, only hanging about 4-5 items, wear 2 pairs of shoes, one for good weather, and one for rain. Use your foul weather gear for a raincoat, and share your twin bed with your spouse! And forget about a bath tub!!
Everything you said, if phrased differently show a boat to be refreshingly efficient. I like being able to stand in one place and cook (rather than a kitchen bigger than then entire cabin on my boat.) Even before I lived on boat I grumbled about how far I had to walk t get anywhere in a house. When I was gived a huge basement room to live in I just used a corner.
Old 24-07-2012, 07:48   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
You know you're a liveaboard when you know the exact date the Caspian terns arrived in June, and have a pretty good idea of when the Western grebes will come back in the fall.

And when the croakers (fish that croaks quite loud & is heard through my hull!) are mating under the docks.

Or when the sea lions are mating since they get really crazy and hang out on the docks in harems with the bulls trying to keep all the other bulls away-loudly!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 19:43   #385
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

When someone comments on what a good job you are doing "going green". You grumble and point out that "going green" is just the latest pretentious, hypocritical, politically correct Yuppie buzz word and you are not making a concerted effort to be "environmentally conscious"....it's just a result of living aboard.
Old 28-07-2012, 07:22   #386

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house
You are a liveaboard if ....... Your kid's best toy/game is the winch and it's handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-325902532.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	44089  
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:35   #387
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
When someone comments on what a good job you are doing "going green". You grumble and point out that "going green" is just the latest pretentious, hypocritical, politically correct Yuppie buzz word and you are not making a concerted effort to be "environmentally conscious"....it's just a result of living aboard.
I THINK THE TERM GOING GREEN CAME FROM YUPPIES WHO CANNOT CONSERVE ON THEIR OWN SANS A CATCHY PHRASE... and on my boat, going green is making yet another green cover...dont dare put plastic into the ocean from my boat!!!!! ever.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 17:55   #388

Boat: Hylas 47

YMBALI, after the kids clogged YOUR head AGAIN, you yell the following, "DON'T POOP IN MY HEAD ANYMORE, IF YOU HAVE TO POOP, POOP IN YOUR OWN HEAD"!

By the way, I was so tired, I couldn't figure out why they laughed so hard at that until the next day when they explained it to me.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 07:23   #389

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

You might be a liveaboard if....

A friend asks you to help fix problem with an electrical outlet in his living room and you take apart his couch to get to it.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 13:41   #390

Boat: Cape Dory 30 ketch
You've ever considered wind or current when attempting to park your car.

Tags
liveaboard