With 3 years of full-time cruising competed I figured I would compare year 3 costs to year 2. In year 2 costs dropped $940 compared to year 1, but in year 3 the costs increased $5,547 compared to year 2. So how does this happen?
Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries
– increased $721 and was 24.4% of costs. But this category has been pretty much the same the past 3 years within about $800
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance
– increased $9k from last year and was 29.2% of costs last year. This is what happens when you do some rigging work
, haul and bottom paint
, replace a dinghy
, get a Honda generator
, get a hookah system to service
your crappy new bottom paint
, and keep trying to fix your POS Italian marvel generator
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane)
- $200 less last year. Hardy anything to worry about at only 2.7% of costs
Dining and drinking out
- $1,500 less than last year and was 14%. We think we have gotten more into going to more of the “dive bar” type of places.
- $ $2,600 more and was 8.7%. A big piece was flying to Cancun
for a week. That plus going to more museums added up, but that’s OK with us as what is point if you don’t go see and do stuff.
Communication, storage, shipping
– pretty much unchanged and was 2.7%
– spent more with my credit card so got more back and was -1% of costs
- $300 more, which is pretty much just the same in big picture and was 8.6% of costs
- $220 less last year and was 0.2% of costs
– was $4,477 less than last year. Big savings if you don’t spend anything out of pocket for medical
of dental in year. Was only 0.4% of costs because we are on a subsidized ACA plan.
Transportation and travel
- $258 more this year and was 4.6% of costs. This amount is basically the cost of the 2 cheap
bikes we got last month.
- $659 less and was 2.6%. Guess we are getting more Scrooge like each year
– only $16, not worth talking about
- $250 less because only had to do the new dinghy
- $13 more for the combined costs of main policy and Boat
US Towing, 2.8%
Your costs will vary, this is just how I spent my money