Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 07:51   #91

Re: Worried About Affording Maintenance Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcat View Post
I have always been surprised at the cost difference of a small ag tractor diesel in the 20-50 hp range vs a marine diesel of same hp.
As far a reducing resale, perhaps a tiny %, but not as much as selling price of boat without an engine, or you'll never get back the high added cost of installing a branded diesel. And for buyer looking to purchase a boat with only a few 1000 hrs on a diesel engine is always a plus.
I've always been surprised at the cost difference (huge markup) of marine providers in the USA for engines versus overseas. I have received quotations from Cummins in India and China and it's crazy. A brand new 6B in China is easily half or less the cost of the USA. And when you go to a Chinese brand like Roland did, or to the Weichai's that I am considering for my powerboat, it is even less.

For a sailboat I would not be too concerned about resale price. It might take longer to sell, but not necessarily a lower price. Your buyer will be thrilled to have a brand new engine onboard with a ton of spares (spares are cheap in China also). He will be more concerned about the status of your rigging and sails and winches and such.

For a powerboat however, trying to sell a boat in America with a Chinese engine would be a deal killer for most. In Europe or Asia it would not be that way, but the USA for sure. One question we all need to ask ourselves however is how important is resale to us. If this is your last boat, and you're traveling the world in it, then who cares?? Let's our kids suffer the resale malady when we are gone
mako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance