Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 14:55   #16

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423
Re: Working while liveaboard

I'm in a similar situation. I run a software company with 20 staff. We outsource everything but hands on client work, so I manage accounting, HR, insurance and other outsourced work.

Internet is key. Unless you have a great marina or a mesh network provider, you are going to end up with multiple providers like GRIT and others. We worked with AT&T and OTRMobile.com on the East Coast. In the Bahamas we used IslandWifi, BTC, and AT&T International Day Pass. In the USVIs we were back to OTR Mobile and AT&T. Moving down to Grenada we went with Google Fi, Digicel, Spice Mobile, and AT&T Day Pass. Back in the USVIs, OTR Mobile has moved to the T-Mobile network that does not work for us. So, we need to find at least one more provider to supper our 200GB+ per month usage. I frequently bond multiple connections using Speedify when I need reliable data - tethered phone, hotspot on wifi, and the wifi extender.

I write this as I sit in a Zoom meeting with a potential client. Speedify has saved the connection a couple of times by failing over.

When it's all said and done, it is doable. You will need to compromise and create work arounds. It is worth it. But, you're not going to find space for six terminals.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 15:12   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I only do my work (related to yours) when docked or anchored. When sailing I only collect calls (actually more often I look up who called me and then, selectively, call them back).

I did not conver the boat into an office but I do use a dedicated space for my work as it involves at least one big display.

In the past Internet access was a noticeable problem (cost). But today any company offers data in the phone service.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 15:29   #18

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your responses. I absolutely appreciate it as it gives me hope I am not just dreaming!

I will be adding business managers and changing the dev team structure to get me off the dev cycle. I don’t even want to have to do code review so I should be able to work quite effectively with two monitors and a laptop.

Internet is the crux. The east coast of Australia is pretty sparsely populated so I expect large areas on no coverage. Any Aussies here care to comment on the internet available between Sydney and Horn Island please?

I’m going to do a test week on a 40ft mono shortly and spend a week in Moreton bay with just my mobile phone, laptop, wife and a fishing rod....if I manage to still have a business at the end of the week, I’ll consider it success!

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers
Jeff
Tsalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 15:41   #19

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

It is an amazing world that we now have this option. I am developing 5G phone chips from my boat. I am a live aboard but not a cruiser. I have been thinking about this exact thing for some time. It has become possible and being a communications engineer it is right up my alley. Look at the Halo wifi extender and the Peplink Pepwave MAX BR1. This is what you are looking for. Plan on spending around $1k to setup a reliable and flexible connection. Starlink is around the corner though.

Besides internet my other concern is AC. I can tolerate some heat but if it gets too hot I have trouble concentrating on work.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 16:21   #20

For all the bizarreness going on at the moment I totally agree. Itís an amazing world with loads of incredible things still happening.

I am hanging my hat on starlink living up to the promise. One reason of wanting a larger boat for just the two of us is so creature comforts such as A/c and loads of hot water are not toooooo much of an issue.

Fingers crossed for the vaccine hype to be legit and a return to just a somewhat regular level of bizarreness.
Tsalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 16:36   #21

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsalta View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your responses. I absolutely appreciate it as it gives me hope I am not just dreaming!

I will be adding business managers and changing the dev team structure to get me off the dev cycle. I donít even want to have to do code review so I should be able to work quite effectively with two monitors and a laptop.

Internet is the crux. The east coast of Australia is pretty sparsely populated so I expect large areas on no coverage. Any Aussies here care to comment on the internet available between Sydney and Horn Island please?

Iím going to do a test week on a 40ft mono shortly and spend a week in Moreton bay with just my mobile phone, laptop, wife and a fishing rod....if I manage to still have a business at the end of the week, Iíll consider it success!

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers
Jeff

I set up my office in the boat for about three months having a COVID break. I used a notebook PC connected to a 15.6" usb powered monitor for dual screen setup for dev work. Not as nice as the big screens back in the land based office, but you get used to it. My notebook is very power hungry, but the combination didn't stress the house power supply on my teeny boat too much. I have a setup at the nav station with fixed monitor, but found setting up camp in the salon was the more comfortable option using a portable monitor for the second display. In limited space, I preferred to use a trackball instead of mouse. Again, takes a little getting used to but not too bad. In fact an upside now I'm back in my office is I now use my notebook with a 20" monitor as the second screen for everyday work and have semi-retired the work station and 24" monitors.

For internet I use a basic NetGear 4G aircard, which is more than adequate for receiving the Internet when close to civilisation. When the signal got patchy, I hauled it to the top of the spreaders in a waterproof bag to improve reception. The Aircard is integrated into the boat's network so I get Internet and boat instrumentation and nav computers all on the same wire(less) which can have different 4G sources patched into it for Internet access so it is possible to swap and change between the Aircard's Optus SIM and a tethered phone with a Telstra SIM. All in all, works quite well unless you get into the true wild but then again you're on a cruising boat so you have a day off. Here's a good site for figuring out your chances of reception https://www.gsma.com/coverage/

Hardest bit is maintaining the enthusiasm to work when blue sky, fair winds and a beckoning horizon awaits just outside. You might also want to factor in an air conditioner for the warmer months as coding and sweating do not mix!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, work