Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 21:33   #1

Working while anchored out

Hey All.
I am currently looking into cutting costs of living next year. I already own a small keelboat (Jouet 24), it is stored on a pile mooring a ways out of the city (Auckland) where I work, I was wondering if it is feasible to anchor the boat much closer to the city and to live from there.
My main concern is leaving it anchored all day while I'm away. Does anyone have any experience in this field / recommendations or is it just too big of a risk. Obviously I would take all precautions like oversized anchoring gear / the like and only anchor in places with excellent holding.
Just wondering if other people have any ideas or if I'm barking up the complete wrong tree.
Thanks
gibbonsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 02:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Working while anchored out

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gibbonsj.

Perfectly feasible, if somewhat inconvenient, depending on local conditions/regulations etc.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 04:14   #3

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

Maybe you can go back the past 15 yrs in the forums, it's been answered 100s of time.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 05:02   #4

Does the boat have full standing headroom? A separate shower? What about doing laundry? Where are you going to dock your dinghy that it will be safe all day while you're at work?

Back when I was in my 20s I tried living on board my 23 foot boat in a marina. I was docked, had no issues with a dinghy, had laundry facilities, and a workable (though extremely spartan) bathroom available. Even at that, after about three months I realized this was NOT the way I wanted to live!

The boat did not have full standing headroom, for one thing. Let me tell you, getting dressed while sitting down and trying not to bump your head is okay for a couple of weeks, but it gets real old, real quick. Having to schlep all your stuff a couple of hundred yards down the dock to perform all of your morning ablutions before going to work gets even older, even quicker.

Of course, it's a very personal thing. Maybe you wouldn't mind the many inconveniences. And, of course, I don't know what sort of facilities your boat has.

I would just suggest that if you are going to do this, you should have an exit plan in place ahead of time. You may discover that it is not at all your cup of tea, and you don't want to be stuck with no alternative.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

If you solve the bath ,loundry and dinghy issues , and if you are comfortable in the boat I don't see any issues with your idea
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you would be happy living in your car, then you will be fine living in a small sailboat. If not, then think twice, especially living on a small sailboat not connected to land, so you can't even stretch your legs without a dinghy trip.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 07:41   #7

Boat: Whitby 42

I've been anchored and working every day for a few years now. You must pick a location with shore access and good holding. If your going to do it you have to get comfortable with leaving your boat anchored. That comes with experience. Finding good anchorage is easy it's the shore access and parking that's the hard part for me.
Good luck
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 10:04   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Plenty of people do what you're proposing in Auckland. Most do it with approved and permitted mooring blocks. If your boat comes adrift it can be damaged and do enormous damage. I doubt you would be able to convince an insurance company to cover you for even 3rd party just to anchor up permanently. You'd be liable for any damage caused to other people's property and the cost of recovering your boat by Harbour Master.

Auckland is a big harbour with big tides, lots of boat wash too. In many bays the boat will be on the mud at low tide, not too much fun walking to/from shore.

Suggest you have a read about Auckland rules here : Harbourmaster. Moorings is bottom right on the page. You can call them too; they're actually really helpful and will likely suggest a few out of the way quiet spots.

Also consider putting down a mooring block. It is not difficult to do and all up with chain and permit for 10 years would be under $2K. There are moorings to rent too. The NZ web site crew.org.nz would be a good forum to ask about moorings.

Get a copy of Andrew Fagan's book Swirley World in Perpetuity. Lots of information in there about living on an 18 foot boat in various bays around the city.
Old 18-09-2018, 10:08   #9

Boat: Boatless

Right over by Bayswater Marina! Might be able to work a deal out for parking and shower access.

I drove the ferry out of there (The Osprey). Boy I miss it :-(

Go for it!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 10:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svMarite View Post
Maybe you can go back the past 15 yrs in the forums, it's been answered 100s of time.
Your 80 contributions make this a horribly ironic response.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 11:06   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Does the boat have full standing headroom? A separate shower? What about doing laundry? Where are you going to dock your dinghy that it will be safe all day while you're at work?

Back when I was in my 20s I tried living on board my 23 foot boat in a marina. I was docked, had no issues with a dinghy, had laundry facilities, and a workable (though extremely spartan) bathroom available. Even at that, after about three months I realized this was NOT the way I wanted to live!

The boat did not have full standing headroom, for one thing. Let me tell you, getting dressed while sitting down and trying not to bump your head is okay for a couple of weeks, but it gets real old, real quick. Having to schlep all your stuff a couple of hundred yards down the dock to perform all of your morning ablutions before going to work gets even older, even quicker.

Of course, it's a very personal thing. Maybe you wouldn't mind the many inconveniences. And, of course, I don't know what sort of facilities your boat has.

I would just suggest that if you are going to do this, you should have an exit plan in place ahead of time. You may discover that it is not at all your cup of tea, and you don't want to be stuck with no alternative.

Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 14:51   #12

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Done it a lot in my life. Way to go, and you get the satisfaction of not being sucked into the system. Also get closer to living like an animal which we are of course.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 17:34   #13

Awesome, Thanks for all the info everyone! basically re-confirming a lot of what I suspected already. @grantmc awesome info about that book, I'll definitely go and locate a copy. Also the mooring idea is actually a pretty good one, I hadn't thought about that. I have lived rougher than the boat before, its just a question of being able to work around all of the inconveniences and to maintain the lifestyle for an extended period of time.
gibbonsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 04:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonsj View Post
...and to maintain the lifestyle for an extended period of time.
This was the killer for me. I took my boat out for weeks at a time and felt very comfortable living on it. After moving on board, though, I started looking at each of the little inconveniences, not as something to deal with for the next week or so, but as something that I was going to have to accept and live with indefinitely. That changed the whole complexion. That's when I realized that I either needed to get a significantly bigger boat, with much better on-board facilities, or move back to an apartment.

FYI... My choice was to move back onto land, save some money, and then get a bigger boat. Life got in the way, as it often does (in this case in the form of meeting and falling in love with the most wonderful woman ever), and it ended up being many years later before we got a bigger boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:53   #15

Half of Key West is doing it from all appearances.

Tags
anchor