Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 05:38   #1

Boat: 36' Cape Dory
Working Out While Underway

I know it's a lot of work to provision / load cases of Two Buck Chuck, but wondering what everyone does for exercise while underway?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:45   #2

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: Working Out While Underway

Not to sound like too much of a hippy, but some simple yoga really makes a lot of sense on a boat. I also incorporate aikido drills called aiki taiso, and do a bit of high speed bokken kata in a spot of the cockpit where the rigging doesn't get in the way. I do a lot of the standard body weight exercises too, sit ups, hanging pushups, pushups with feet raised up on the companionway boards, crunches, squats, etc. I had a set of weights on the boat but never wound up using them.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Do 12 oz curls count?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30   #4

You don't think moving the boat counts? It's when you're anchored or docked that exercise is needed, so that is no different than being in a house. Whatever floats your boat then should still be applicable.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You don't think moving the boat counts? It's when you're anchored or docked that exercise is needed, so that is no different than being in a house. Whatever floats your boat then should still be applicable.
Which is why I believe coastal cruising can be a decent workout.

You get the workout from the motion of the boat and winching etc then once at your destination there's kayaking, hiking, swimming, diving on the boat, foraging for food (going to the nearest store for more beer) etc...........

Then if you end up at an exposed anchorage, there's the workout of trying to stay in your berth while attempting to sleep
Old 06-01-2017, 08:43   #6

Boat: Island Packet 350

I found a heavy duty elastic band was great for arms & shoulders. The kind found at a gym...Big 5 carries them I believe.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:51   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Ocean sailing is perhaps the best workout unto itself you will likely ever encounter. The constant act of holding on, sheeting in and out, hoisting this that and the other thing will leave you fit as a fiddle in no time. Couple this exercise with an initial lack of appetite and you'll see the pounds melt away. Even in your sleep your body will be working out.

Edited to add: I see Thomm225 beat me to the post
Old 06-01-2017, 08:52   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The sailing lifestyle is workout enough for me...always exhausted by the end of the day. And if that's not enough, there are always lots of places on a boat to do push-ups, chin-ups, and sit-ups. Or grab a 4 litre bottle of water for some curls and upper body work. I agree with the previous poster who recommended yoga. Stretching is what's needed while on a boat.

I should mention I have never used a windlass (and I anchor a lot, sometimes several times in one day), and although I eventually bought an outboard for the dinghy, I prefer to row about and leave the outboard on the rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Labour Day sailing trip 093.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	139090  
Old 06-01-2017, 09:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Ocean sailing is perhaps the best workout unto itself you will likely ever encounter. The constant act of holding on, sheeting in and out, hoisting this that and the other thing will leave you fit as a fiddle in no time. Couple this exercise with an initial lack of appetite and you'll see the pounds melt away. Even in your sleep your body will be working out.
I lost about 30 pounds crossing the atlantic, and still felt exhausted weeks later.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

A few years ago I bought my son a very nice set of exercise bands. They came in a nice bag, have handles, allow for pretty much all exercise routines. Simulates weights from 5lbs up to 50lbs by combining some bands. I am buying a set for the boat. That and I run in every port. Not fast, just run around looking at stuff, where to eat, where to shop, etc.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:21   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

I pray almost constantly while sailing. Pray for safety, pray for good decision making, pray for everybody else in this world as most have more problems than I.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:21   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Underway nothing. But in port I go to the gym.
Resistance exercise is very I.portant as we get older.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-01-2017, 09:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
I pray almost constantly while sailing. Pray for safety, pray for good decision making, pray for everybody else in this world as most have more problems than I.
Although I am not religious at all, I will say a prayer under my breath that the rig does not fail when the wind is blowing hard, or that the engine continues to run when I find myself powering into a big sea, fighting a strong current, or just in a tight situation.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:42   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

Edited to add: I see Thomm225 beat me to the post
Don't think I've been in those oceans
Turning the page on a kindle doesn't quite cut it.

Only certain muscles seem to get use when at sea for weeks, just walking up the hill to find immigration can have a few which haven't seen any action for a while complaining. I'd step up and down from the lockers to the cockpit sole five, ten minutes a couple of times a day which seems to help.
And don't forget on extended passage is an ideal place to workout the mind as well with meditation
Old 06-01-2017, 10:14   #15

Boat: cal29

Now your talking, Chief
Closed Thread