Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 11:25   #16

Boat: cal29
Re: Working Out While Underway

To Luciarose, I believe the Senior Chief worded it , "Try the Bible". That sounds more like a suggestion rather than "pushing it".
Old 06-01-2017, 11:34   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Geez, lighten up. Nobody is "pushing" anything on you.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:40   #18

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
I know it's a lot of work to provision / load cases of Two Buck Chuck, but wondering what everyone does for exercise while underway?
Swimming is the best exercise: You're weightless, all your muscles work & if you're north of Greenland... just swim faster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IceSwimming.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	139093  
Old 06-01-2017, 11:58   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Working Out While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
I pray almost constantly while sailing. Pray for safety, pray for good decision making, pray for everybody else in this world as most have more problems than I.
Mine go something like this in a blow....
"Oi yaa white bearded ole bastard.. is that all you got..!!!"(polite version)
Then I give the sky the finger in the direction of the wind..

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:18   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mine go something like this in a blow....
"Oi yaa white bearded ole bastard.. is that all you got..!!!"(polite version)
Then I give the sky the finger in the direction of the wind..
Sounds like Lt Dan

Old 06-01-2017, 13:05   #21

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

We exercise five days a week at our fitness center where we live and have plenty of trials nearby to hike. Actually, I was a licensed personal trainer for a few years and Erica and I enjoy working out, and being out doors exploring as well. .

We have found that on board a sailing vessel making way, that the core muscles are constantly working as the body tries to remain balanced against the heel and the movement of the boat. Plus trimming sails, grinding winches, hauling on halyards, traveler lines, sheets, helm time, etc, Picking up moorings, anchoring and general boat work also add up on the activity scale.

Agree , exercise bands are an excellent idea. Do not take up space and don't weigh much at all.

And, add in body weight exercises on passages if you wish, or when anchored or on a mooring, or even in a slip.

We are also, as other mentioned, very active upon reaching a destination, and dive, snorkel, hike, kayak, dance, etc. And add in some party time ashore.

With a much eating and drinking as we do ashore, we have never gained any weight on sailing passages at any time....ever.

And, yep, sometimes when we get to our destination or back to home port we are pleasantly mellowed out and laid back enjoying the moment.

Comes down to the fact that you, if you wish, will be plenty active, and staying fit....those bud curls are fine, but with in reason.

And, yes, some people make fun of us about our active lifestyle, and eating halfway smart......but my old Irish grandmother, wise lady that she was, once told me, " Denny, you will never know how important your health is, until you don't have it anymore. "

All any of us can do is take care of ourselves and still have a grand time in life for as long as possible. Yep keep on sailing, and pegging the fun meter.
Old 06-01-2017, 13:36   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Made me chuckle. A friend of mine years ago rigged up a pedal powered generator in his cockpit for the trip to Hawaii. I guess it worked ok. He was in good shape and had enough juice in the batteries.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-01-2017, 13:37   #23
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Working Out While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That comments got no legs mate..!!!

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
Old 06-01-2017, 13:41   #24

I have enough trouble with the wind and water gods. I'm with others here in thinking religeon/bible may be a bit too far off topic for a sailing/boating forum. They do have sky god forums. Check em out.
Old 06-01-2017, 14:55   #25

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Underway nothing. But in port I go to the gym.
Resistance exercise is very I.portant as we get older.
I resist all exercise performed just for the purpose of exercise. This is how I've managed to become older. Bottom line: resistance works! We agree? For once?
Old 06-01-2017, 15:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by normdeeley View Post
I have enough trouble with the wind and water gods. I'm with others here in thinking religeon/bible may be a bit too far off topic for a sailing/boating forum. They do have sky god forums. Check em out.
I see what you did there: reference your experience with (presumably) Greek/Roman dieties, and suggest that's not religion; then openly recommend that whoever made a reference to the Judeo-Christian deity just go away.

So: your worldview good, should be accepted without question; his worldview bad, should be banished.
Very nuanced.

BTW: your "wind god" would be a sky god, so there's some confusion there.

Though vonchris7's topic is physical exercise, Senior Chief's expansion of the subject to include mental/spiritual fitness was not completely unrelated. If topic-drift is the issue, CF abounds with many more egregious examples to be concerned about. But I don't really think that's your concern.

How about we appreciate people's perspectives when they differ with our own? We might gain some insight. With all respect to vonchris7's question, there's more than one kind of exercise.

Kind Regards to All.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:36   #27

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A friend of mine years ago rigged up a pedal powered generator in his cockpit for the trip to Hawaii. I guess it worked ok. He was in good shape and had enough juice in the batteries.

I've often thought about how to rig up one of those. Something compact but comfortable enough, and easy to set up, to use ever day. I like to run and cycle in my land life, so getting to cycle for an hour or two per day on the boat might be just the thing. . . .

Apparently a decent recreational cyclist can output around 175 watts. So at 12V that's 14.5A. It's not nothin'! Sure, a solar panel could do it all a lot more easily, and all day long, but it would be cool to generate some useful electricity while getting exercise.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:41   #28

Boat: Quorning Dragonfly 1200

Another vote for resistance bands, combined with stretches/yoga, bodyweight exercises and aerobic activities. In port we do fast walking, squat thrusts, bike riding etc. I don't agree that sailing by itself is adequate exercise, except perhaps in rough conditions, but it's not aerobic enough for "heart health" under any circumstance.

Resistance bands are lightweight, easy to pack and don't take much space, some brands let you combine multiple bands of differing resistance levels clipped on one set of handles if needed. The best ones I've found are BODYLASTICS (search online, I have no relationship or $ interest in that company).

I use them underway or in port, they come with a booklet and CD showing exercises for every major muscle group, and you can find videos on YouTube. When I fly I pack them in my checked baggage (TSA will confiscate if you try to carry-on anything that might be used to tie people up)
Old 06-01-2017, 15:49   #29

I agree. At best bad form. Sleazy and low-rent. The moderator should ban such transmissions.
pdenton
Old 06-01-2017, 15:54   #30

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Made me chuckle. A friend of mine years ago rigged up a pedal powered generator in his cockpit for the trip to Hawaii. I guess it worked ok. He was in good shape and had enough juice in the batteries.
Now that is a way to make exercise "necessary." Combine the thought with a folding / lightweight electric bike to use as the power for the generator, and viola you've loved the multiple use conundrum in a far, far better way than using exercise bands a snubbers.