Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 12:20   #16

Re: Working a fulltime job aboard your boat whilst in the Carribean or Keys?

I know this is not applicable for today, but in 5 years, with the adoption of StarLink from SpaceX we may very well have high speed internet anywhere on the globe, including ocean passages, which has some exciting ramifications.
billyjones454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:40   #17

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi,

have you given GoogleFi a thought?

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/

I was told that it's got unlimited world wide data for around 80$ a month?

Thanks for giving that detailed hardware spec. That might be what we want once we leave Europe (if Starlink doesn't live up to the name by ten 2023...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar88 View Post
Iím a civil engineer in the Miami area and due to COVID I have been working from home since March. The up side of that is that the 1988 38 ft Island Packet my wife and I bought has turned into my second office.

I researched the best way to get unlimited internet on the boat and I wanted it to be versatile enough to allow me to travel the East Coast and possibly the Bahamas while working. I found that a cell setup is the best way to go compared to WiFi (unreliable) or satellite (expensive). I ended up specing the following:

- Shakespeare 5239 Cell Antenna ($130)
- Custom Times Microwave LMR-400 Cable ($43)
- Wilson IoT 5-Band Direct Connect Amp - DC (in line cell signal booster, $250)
-Pepwave Max BR1 MK2 w/ Cat 6 LTE Advanced (MAX-BR1-MK2-LTEA-W-T) (Cell modem and WiFi router, $599)
-N/Female to SMA/Male Adapter (RSA-3452 ($12))

The cell modem/router is expensive but worth it as its plug and play and works very well. It has two slots for SIM cards and you can plug them in and be up and running. This allows easy switching if youíre traveling to different countries.

Regarding the unlimited data I looked at the RV websites, standard cell company offerings, etc. I tried OTR Mobile (popular with RVíers) but it was slow (2nd tier t-mobile network). I then found an unlimited data sim/plan on AT&T network on eBay. This works much much better and costs $80/month. eBay is a good place to find these unlimited first tier plans (I recommend avoiding second tier plans from resellers). Unfortunately I just found out my unlimited plan will now be limited to 400 GB/month so Iíll be shopping for a new one myself.

This setup works great in Miami and the keys. I went out the other weekend and got full signal strength at Elliot Key (notorious for bad signal strength) and got about 20 mbs download speed. In my home marina I get about 30 mbs which is fine for me.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 16:00   #18

Boat: Northstar 80/20
Send a message via AIM to yesthatsue Send a message via Yahoo to yesthatsue Send a message via Skype™ to yesthatsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjones454 View Post
I know this is not applicable for today, but in 5 years, with the adoption of StarLink from SpaceX we may very well have high speed internet anywhere on the globe, including ocean passages, which has some exciting ramifications.
This is exactly the reason why we just upgraded from a 26' coastal cruiser to a bluewater boat.
yesthatsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 16:55   #19

Boat: Spindrift 43

I really agree with the notion that it’s the same life, but your house moves. The same stressors follow you. But now, you fix stuff on the boat(as opposed to fixing stuff on your house or rental).

It really is the exact same stuff. The fact that you floated there means nothing. Broken stuff still needs fixed. The family isn’t going to suddenly be way cooler than before they moved aboard.

But that all said, you’re now in a way cooler place dealing with your old issues... and that does count for a lot!!

Just don’t think it’s something it’s not. The same **** finds a way to follow you...

All this from a guy who decided it was worth doing twice over!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 17:42   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

lots of negativity here. I guess people just do not have right setup or just bitter sitting somewhere imprisoned in a big city.

We work from the boat - full time investors - and it is a dream. Not only you get upgrade of everything in life, including health, also investment decision get better as stress dissipates and calmness increases. This helps investmetn results as well, hence giving you more freedom.

*** disclaimer - i am experienced investor.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 18:03   #21

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
lots of negativity here. I guess people just do not have right setup or just bitter sitting somewhere imprisoned in a big city.

We work from the boat - full time investors - and it is a dream. Not only you get upgrade of everything in life, including health, also investment decision get better as stress dissipates and calmness increases. This helps investmetn results as well, hence giving you more freedom.

*** disclaimer - i am experienced investor.
Will you be my investment fund manager?? You have found the nirvana we all (at the very least, I) seek!!!

I unfortunately must still repair the head when it breaks, deal with dragging anchors, etc. Those pedestrian issues fail to dissipate stress and enhance calmness. (Full disclosure, I usually pay a dude, but it’s still my responsibility to have fixed)

In fact, I literally caught a face full of... stuff while trying to fix our head once, but I assume you know how to prevent that reality from affecting you?? I welcome your insight!!!

Fun thought given that you disclaim your investment prowess before us: give us your insight so we may all become wealthy with your richness of thought and experiential insight!!!!!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 18:31   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Will you be my investment fund manager?? You have found the nirvana we all (at the very least, I) seek!!!

I unfortunately must still repair the head when it breaks, deal with dragging anchors, etc. Those pedestrian issues fail to dissipate stress and enhance calmness. (Full disclosure, I usually pay a dude, but itís still my responsibility to have fixed)

In fact, I literally caught a face full of... stuff while trying to fix our head once, but I assume you know how to prevent that reality from affecting you?? I welcome your insight!!!

Fun thought given that you disclaim your investment prowess before us: give us your insight so we may all become wealthy with your richness of thought and experiential insight!!!!!

ok as they say give poor bit of bread, he will follow you and annoy forever. Teach poor to catch fish , he will manage on his own and let you go.

Here it goes:

1. Make your boat SIMPLE! Means less maintenance, lighter better sail performance, less engine hours, less diesel issue, less down time etc

2. We invest long term, monthly look at markets is all one needs to capture major tops and bottoms.

Good luck.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:53   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We don't have investments but actually get enjoyment out of improving and fixing things on the boat (for the most part).

If you have a good web connection and you are self employed, it can be be joyful to work from the boat. Provided you can manage & control the workload to some degree.

Apart from that, sitting in a fabulous spot once work is done is very nice too. Much nicer than beeing stuck in a big city after work.

I have done this personally a couple of times.
Now that my boyfriend will join me from next spring onwards, we have more flexibility though as he goes into early retirement while I take www.das3dstudio.de onboard with me.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
All I can say is it wonít be what you are dreaming of.

Itís just going to be the same sh*t with a different view and a lot more headaches (mechanical failures, internet going down, a full day to grocery shop, anchoring restrictions, squalls rolling through requiring and anchor watch when you are mid zoom call, etc)

Mark those words.

I know itís the dream, but once you are actually doing it, itís just normal life. And a much harder life than land life. It requires a lot of your time.
This is really overstating the issue. Yes, there are new issues but it's no where near as horrible as this post suggests.

You won't have the same freedom of movement as a retired guy but with a little planning we have had no issues making it work. We were able to see new places and it has been great.

If you have meetings scheduled, watch the weather and if needed, stay in a marina for a few days, so squalls aren't an issue. You may wind up in marinas more often but if you are working, you can afford to do so. If you really love anchoring out, you can do so on weekends. (We like visiting the local places along the waterways, so marinas are much more convenient).

As mentioned, cell for internet is really a requirement but even there for work, you need to stay in coverage so staying in remote areas is likely limited to weekends and vacation time. It still beats a 2hr drive to the office during a winter storm.

International vs Domestic is a different game. Still doable but a different set of challenges.
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:19   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Different types of work need different approach and feasibility study.
- if you need to stay in touch on a daily basis with a team, clients, vendors etc. Staying mostly in marinas is the only viable option - that’s my own experience. Even in this environment it is way more difficult than working from a land based home - ANY boat need maintenance (even Arsenelupiga’s Lagoon... ) maybe a Laser needs less maintenance but I’ve found it difficult to focus on spreadsheets aboard it... Way more than home and these are always a priority.

- If self employed, fully independent and with limited need to be in touch with others and resources (data, fast data!) on a daily and timely basis, it is doable while cruising, anchoring etc. Just don’t expect to be as efficient as at home or office.

As with anything in life, priorities should be made and the price must be well calculated. We should highlight the possibilities to others here but the conditions and decisions are still 100% subjective.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:49   #26

Boat: Island Packet 349

Do people work (remotely) while living in a resort? Or from a cruise ship? Or while on a cross-country bicycle tour? Or while backpacking? Or mountain climbing?

I am amazed at my co-workers asking why I do not work from the boat while cruising long range. These things simply do not mix. Even haircut styles are different.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10   #27

We live in a rural area and have one horrible Internet service provider. We get 1.5 mbps. Surprisingly, we have made it work, including streaming.

A year or two ago, we signed up with https://www.ubifi.net/ which has unlimited data for about $90 a month. We have never been throttled and have consumed GBs of data, especially now that we are in locked down and working from home.

No complaints about the service or company. It works. We sometimes get slow downs, which I assume are from people hitting the cell tower, but it is far better than the land line Internet service provider.

You do have to by a device, a MoFi, to receive the cell signal and which also provides WiFi and a hard wired router.

We have taken the MoFi and used in a boat. We were on a boat for a week in a marina and the WiFi signal was bad so we took the MoFi. Simply powered it up and we had our home Internet on the boat. Easey Peasey.

There are other companies similar to Ubfi but they were the first company I read about and with good reviews. I did see other providers that I think cost a bit less money so there might be better deals out there.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Do people work (remotely) while living in a resort? Or from a cruise ship? Or while on a cross-country bicycle tour? Or while backpacking? Or mountain climbing?

I am amazed at my co-workers asking why I do not work from the boat while cruising long range. These things simply do not mix. Even haircut styles are different.
I've worked from resorts and cruise ships. Also worked in the mountains of Nepal, in a camp at the foot of Kilimanjaro and on the banks of the Amazon. Never done a cross-country bicycle tour but I'm sure it's possible.

There may be some differences in exactly how you experience these different activities but it's pretty amazing what can be done with modern technology.
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
We live in a rural area and have one horrible Internet service provider. We get 1.5 mbps. Surprisingly, we have made it work, including streaming.

A year or two ago, we signed up with https://www.ubifi.net/ which has unlimited data for about $90 a month. We have never been throttled and have consumed GBs of data, especially now that we are in locked down and working from home.

No complaints about the service or company. It works. We sometimes get slow downs, which I assume are from people hitting the cell tower, but it is far better than the land line Internet service provider.

You do have to by a device, a MoFi, to receive the cell signal and which also provides WiFi and a hard wired router.

We have taken the MoFi and used in a boat. We were on a boat for a week in a marina and the WiFi signal was bad so we took the MoFi. Simply powered it up and we had our home Internet on the boat. Easey Peasey.

There are other companies similar to Ubfi but they were the first company I read about and with good reviews. I did see other providers that I think cost a bit less money so there might be better deals out there.

Later,
Dan
Good for you but this is a cellular tower 4G signal service, that probably runs on one of the nationwide (with huge holes of zero service) - AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. At most cases, where there is such a reception, a cellphone with unlimited data plan and hotspot setting would just do the same.

The most expensive (ever) marina I've been at (for a short while) in Florida had a lousy wifi service and close to zero reception from any of the nationwide carriers. In such places a Ubfi and alike wouldn't serve as well.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Good for you but this is a cellular tower 4G signal service, that probably runs on one of the nationwide (with huge holes of zero service) - AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. At most cases, where there is such a reception, a cellphone with unlimited data plan and hotspot setting would just do the same.

The most expensive (ever) marina I've been at (for a short while) in Florida had a lousy wifi service and close to zero reception from any of the nationwide carriers. In such places a Ubfi and alike wouldn't serve as well.
That is stating the obvious, but yes, if there is no cell reception then Ubifi or similar services, will not work. Same with WiFi service at marina's or anchorages. There is not a perfect solution to Internet On A Boat. One has to pick a variety solutions that maximize one's chances of getting Internet.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Carribean, rib, work