Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 06:15   #181

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Wood Stove

Wood looks like a great option for overnights, weekends, or short coastal hops. A few nights on anchor, definitely. I for one would love to have a wood stove and I may end up getting or making one. But replenishing the firewood could be a hassle, and storing a reasonable amount would present a problem in the long term. How many gallons of diesel equal a cord of firewood, in BTU radiated inside the boat? I don't think there is any contest, there. A wood stove is simple, and can be made pretty cheap by a handy DIYer who can weld. That is one plus for wood, as well as the cheery glow of the fire through a window. So overall I say diesel is more practical, but more expensive to install. Wood is more aesthetically pleasing and that can be important, too.

I will point out that wood fires are strictly forbidden in my marina and I am sure in many others. So there is that. Imagine, someone smells smoke, in a marina holding several hundred boats, and wooden piers. The potential for frenzied panic is real. Of course at the dock, a couple of electric heaters can pick up the slack, anyway.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:41   #182

Boat: Rafiki 37

There's no doubt the energy density of diesel is factors greater than wood. But unless you're cruising in truly high latitudes, or wintering in mid latitudes, it really doesn't take many BTUs to keep most modest sized cruising boats warm -- at least for me.

I've mostly cruised in what most people would consider cold areas (Lake Superior, now Newfoundland). I've always done just fine with a simple alcohol heater (Origo), so I think a wood stove would be fine. And it has the advantage of running off free and available fuel (at least in areas I cruise).

The main disadvantage I see is keeping the boat and cabin top clean. Fuel storage would also be a challenge.

Interesting that some marinas ban wood stoves. I've heard of BBQ bans, but never wood stoves.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:12   #183

Boat: Catalina 28 mkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Love the stove, and your installation looks great Amanda. Can you say anything about soot production on deck or around the chimney? I'd love to go with a Cubic. I'm just not sure ...
So far I have to clean the flue about once a week. The cap is another story. I have to clean that more often. I find when it starts to smoke if I clean the cap it stops.

I don't see much soot coming out when I do clean it. The deck gets soot on it from the cleaning, but not much. The rain takes that way (good thing about living in Vancouver). I have no soot in the cabin itself. I have been wiping the ceilings down regularly as a few people told me it's going to cover my boat in soot and so far I have found none inside.

I think the key to keeping it nice and clean is to clean the flue/cap regularly. I only takes me about 15 minutes to clean - super simple.
amandak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:24   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Wood looks like a great option for overnights, weekends, or short coastal hops. A few nights on anchor, definitely. I for one would love to have a wood stove and I may end up getting or making one. But replenishing the firewood could be a hassle, and storing a reasonable amount would present a problem in the long term. How many gallons of diesel equal a cord of firewood, in BTU radiated inside the boat? I don't think there is any contest, there. A wood stove is simple, and can be made pretty cheap by a handy DIYer who can weld. That is one plus for wood, as well as the cheery glow of the fire through a window. So overall I say diesel is more practical, but more expensive to install. Wood is more aesthetically pleasing and that can be important, too.

if your going to make your own stove make it coal fired. ( I have plans for any that are interested) . Dead simple and you can store a lot of btu's in a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:49   #185

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
if your going to make your own stove make it coal fired. ( I have plans for any that are interested) . Dead simple and you can store a lot of btu's in a 5 gallon bucket.

I like that idea. No wood sawing. Only problem is getting coal in retail amounts is not going to be easy in New Orleans. I am sure I could get a rail car full, no problem. Nobody uses it here. Charcoal might be a thing, though.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02   #186
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I like that idea. No wood sawing. Only problem is getting coal in retail amounts is not going to be easy in New Orleans. I am sure I could get a rail car full, no problem. Nobody uses it here. Charcoal might be a thing, though.
Charcoal briquettes will work even in a wood burning stove.
Coal is actually easier yo find than you would think even in NOLA.
Think blacksmithing
Old 03-12-2019, 11:13   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Charcoal briquettes will work even in a wood burning stove.
Coal is actually easier yo find than you would think even in NOLA.
Think blacksmithing
Charcoal briquettes are great. I have a Kelly Kettle that is used for camping and survival. They say to burn wood, from twigs, stems, etc. I find charcoal briquettes work best.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove