Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 05:04   #61

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat
Re: Woman Living on a Boat ?

The Caribbean is also my home and sailing grounds - I have lived aboard my catamaran for 12 years now, though only the last couple have been as a singlehander (husband/younger woman/ran off story too!).
My choice is NOT to live in a marina but to anchor out where I can This cuts down my living expenses radically although dinghy fuel back and forth to land might be a consideration for you - I have a Walker Bay rowboat which keep me fit too! However, you would probably fnd more of a social scene , more easily, in a marina.
There are several other single ladies who have boats here, though not all live aboard fulltime.
Try it....I can almost guarantee that you won't go back to living on land until infirmity makes it necessary. I hope that will be many years away for you!
GypsyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 06:23   #62

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star

[QUOTE=freya34;435627]Thanks I was considering moving onboard full time along the texas coast.

We were liveaboards in the Corpus Christi Marina for a couple of years and are headed back down there in a couple of months. While we were there my husband received a contract job offer in Illinois that we couldn't pass up. He left within 8 days, it took me another 3 months to get everything tied up to leave the boat. Here are my thoughts about being a woman living aboard alone.

I made it a point to get to know all of the other liveaboards and all of the owners of the boats on my dock. When I needed help with something that I just couldn't do alone (heavy lifting or something that required 4 hands) there was always someone that was willing to help.

I didn't advertise that I was alone.

I was lucky that the Port Police docked their boat on my dock. I got to know them, let them know that I was alone and they checked on me regularly. This came in handy when we had to leave for the extended period as they kept an eye on things and would call me if there looked like there might be trouble.

Corpus Christi has pretty good security and a large liveaboard community and has had at least a couple of single woman living on their boats.

All in all I would say that while I wasn't happy to be apart from the hubby for so long, I am glad that I had the opportunity to spend that time alone on the boat. I can't wait to get back to her!

Julie
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 11:06   #63

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser
Iif you are looking at the Corpus Christi area I would suggest you look at Rockport. It's 30 miles North of CC. There are a number of slips available for live aboards that are privately owned and very safe and inexpensive Go to the end of Nassau St on Key Allegro. Or you can call 361- 205-2586 or 361-729-6494. We have lived here (when we aren't cruising) since 1996 and love it. You can message me if you want more info.
Sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 15:03   #64
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by freya34 View Post
Any other women living on their boat's by themselves? I'm considering this and would like your thoughts on how safe marinas are.

I have no concerns at all in my marina. We watch out for each other, and the owner kicks out trouble-makers.

Any marina you consider, ask the manager what they do if they have a troublemaker living there.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 15:56   #65

Boat: Mason 43

I've lived aboard at various times in my life in different places and never had a problem. As mentioned by Rakuflames, we liveaboards watch out for each other. The marina where I am right now is gated and not a service yard, so everyone knows everyone.

Living aboard is really the best way to get to know the idiosyncracies of your boat and her systems if you intend sailing her :-)
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 16:16   #66

Boat: private yacht always moving

It also depends on the quality of the marina. I have stayed in a couple of QUESTIONABLE ones but did not stay long. In some of the lower class marinas I have seen liveaboards that I would not trust at all, but in other marinas the liveaboards were the best. choose a quality marina and you will be fine
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 16:21   #67
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in 1990 when i first moved aboard 34 ft olympian, the marinas in lost angeles were in really bad locations with some shady stuff hanging around. very few folks lived aboard much less female. i was fortunate to have been protected species--working , income receiving rn with emergency room knowledge -- we all watched out for each other--we even had dock parties weekly.
folks still watch out for each other---but now there is security at marinas and the numbers of live aboards is more than one per dock. is a llot easier now--but it didnt seem difficult then...dock parties ---- we dont have em here.....
.you must enjoy it for it to work.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote