Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 06:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Wintering-Over in NY State

Thinking about the Great Loop only because I want to go back to NY State's Hudson Valley and the Erie Canal System.
NY State will take me most of the summer if not all of it and the following year and so I will have to winter-over up there.
So, if I wanted to winter-over on the canal system, can I just simply haul-out and drain the water systems on my boat or do I have to stretch wrap for additional protection while I live in a winter apartment or can I actually live aboard?
I lived in the Hudson Valley while essentially a non-boater so I know how cold it gets further north, not to mention the snow.
What do you northerners do?
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:25   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: Wintering-Over in NY State

While there are northern liveaboards I believe most are I the water on a bubbler system. It wouldn't be my first choice but some do it. Marinas in the north shut down water and pump outs usually by November 1 and return in early to mid May.

For our winter haul outs we drain the water system and add antifreeze, run -100 into the raw water cooling and sanitation system after pump out, remove all canvas, open all compartments, add dryer sheets to lockers, clean and open the fridge. I add two dehumidifiers, and a bucket of damp rid and cushions stand everywhere where they can breathe. And cover to protect the deck as much as possible although some do not.

I have known one guy to liveaboard during the winter and he really didn't have anywhere else to go. It was hard and unpleasant from what I was told.

It's a big job. In the Spring everything gets reversed and water system sanitized after antifreeze per the HeadMistress' recommended procedure. I can't wait to get back south!
SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 10:00   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Here in Connecticut there is a market for winter in the water slips with a bubbler that are actually cheaper than haul out, shrink wrap, on the hard storage. Maybe you can find something like that in the Hudson Valley.

Living aboard in a slip would be tough but doable. Living on the hard would be miserable and dangerous. Use a kerosene heater during the day and electric heater and blanket at night. But it will take a lot of kerosene and power to keep warm. Boats have an abysmal R insulation value.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 16:10   #4

Boat: 42' C & C Landfall

As a year round liveaboard in ontario canada, i just have to say that we love being on the dock in the winter. Washrooms are the only pain i have. If you find a marina that will let you stay in the water over the winter. I say do it. The friends youll make will able to help to figure everything out.
My husband and i have a teen boy and we would have moved aboard sooner had we known we could.
Liveaboard for life

Harmony
paulandharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 22:01   #5

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Here in Connecticut there is a market for winter in the water slips with a bubbler that are actually cheaper than haul out, shrink wrap, on the hard storage. Maybe you can find something like that in the Hudson Valley.

Living aboard in a slip would be tough but doable. Living on the hard would be miserable and dangerous. Use a kerosene heater during the day and electric heater and blanket at night. But it will take a lot of kerosene and power to keep warm. Boats have an abysmal R insulation value.

David
What is a blubber? Please and thank you.

Old 09-10-2014, 22:02   #6

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
What is a blubber? Please and thank you.

Sorry .. Bubb

Old 10-10-2014, 05:24   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
What is a bubbler? Please and thank you.
A bubbler is an air-driven de-icing system.
Good Old Boat - Winter agitation article

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52   #8

Can it be done? yes
Is it worth it? not even close, in our opinion

Winterizing the boat isn't that hard, just make sure you don't forget something with water in it. A couple years ago my brother-in-law forgot to open the petcocks on the exhaust manifold and got to buy two new ones in the spring.

By the way "bubblers" that use air are not common. Most use a small submergable electric motor with a small propeller to push warmer water from below towards the surface. The warmer (but still cold) water keeps ice from forming. I assume at some point in the past, air was used and the name stuck. Of course in the event of a serious storm where the marina loses power, the bubblers stop working and the ice encroaches.

The last 3 yrs we wintered in michigan and got a 6 month lease on an apartment for the winter.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:58   #9

Boat: Various

We're lumping large areas. Huge difference from Michigan to New York. Big difference between upper NY state and the Canals west versus NYC, the Hudson, and Long Island Sound. There are many who live aboard at marinas close to NYC and in Long Island Sound (mostly southwest sound). There are marinas with bubblers (if necessary), water access, pump outs etc. Obviously the closer to the city, the more expensive. Still no more expensive than a haulout combined with renting an apartment. Very few harbors in the Northeast freeze. For instance, I believe Boston Harbor has a couple of times, but the last was 1904. Understand these areas are used year round for commercial traffic. So far different than the Great Lakes.

And as you go west on the Erie Canal System you'll find things pretty well shut down over the winter so to stay on the water would need to stay nearer the city and harbor and sound.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:00   #10

The question was about staying canal and that has weather pretty similar to Michigan. The further south you go along the atlantic, the better it gets but we spent a winter in Georgia and on cold nights that would pushing the limits of what we would want to deal with.

Also, they drain some sections of the canal in the winter to conduct maintenance, so in water may not be available. I know of one guy with a dock who set up supports so the boat doesn't fall over and the boat sits in the mud all winter (props/rudder are protected). He doesn't live on it though.

Winter storage is typically a good deal cheaper on a per month basis compared to summer in water slips. When you factor in the heating bill for a poorly insulated boat, a simple apartment for the winter isn't that much more (if you want an apartment in NYC, that's a different discussion). Of course, you could do what we are doing this winter and picked up a nice apartment in a tropical climate for the winter for around $600/month while the boat slumbers thru the winter.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:14   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

catskill creek has a marina and hauls boats for winter. winter is a cold cold cold time. things die there in winter.
folks are allowed to wear fur in winter without being painted.
we used to sail hudson river in november, thanksgiving time.. it was COLD!!!!!! (before uggs were invented)then, and is even colder closer to january.
march will have ye with frozen blue lips and screaming for summer.

catskill creek freezes occasionally, as does hudson river.

sailing during easter was still COLD!!!!! the well digger hasnt yet returned from digging the well from november, as he has been frozen inside the damn thing all winter.
you will need at least a nice electric heater and some nice fur slippers and a hat.
fur hat.
mebbe 3 dogs and a cat or 2 it gets COLD....last time i was there the chill factor was -46F and dropping.
cold.
is gorgeous, and cold.
(one of reasons why i am in tropics now........)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:01   #12

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The question was about staying canal and that has weather pretty similar to Michigan. The further south you go along the atlantic, the better it gets but we spent a winter in Georgia and on cold nights that would pushing the limits of what we would want to deal with.

Also, they drain some sections of the canal in the winter to conduct maintenance, so in water may not be available. I know of one guy with a dock who set up supports so the boat doesn't fall over and the boat sits in the mud all winter (props/rudder are protected). He doesn't live on it though.

Winter storage is typically a good deal cheaper on a per month basis compared to summer in water slips. When you factor in the heating bill for a poorly insulated boat, a simple apartment for the winter isn't that much more (if you want an apartment in NYC, that's a different discussion). Of course, you could do what we are doing this winter and picked up a nice apartment in a tropical climate for the winter for around $600/month while the boat slumbers thru the winter.
Well, the canal covers a wide range and while one part is much like Michigan the other end is more like New York. Plus he referred to the Hudson Valley. That's what led me to discuss the New York and Long Island Sound areas as proximate to his area and possible for wintering. In the Canal itself you don't have an abundance of places to winterize and store either. So, just an option.

As to "What do you Northerners do?" that covers a large range of people and activities. And as mentioned by others there are year round liveaboards as far north as Toronto. There are those who haul their boats out and winterize them as far south as North Carolina.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hudson valley is essentially catskill creek and environs, speciffically in the area of hudson, ny,sleepy hollow area, and poughkeepsie, with saugerties as southern boundary. northern boundary is closer to south of troy, ny.
Bludi COLD.
is where i learned to sail. .
i have had experience there, in person.
what i said is correct to date.
research it from dennis willard on fb and others who LIVE there year round.
they usually go to land for winter .
it gets freeking COLD.
-46 aint play toy weather.
hudson river valley includes entire hudson river to nyack.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, the canal covers a wide range and while one part is much like Michigan the other end is more like New York. Plus he referred to the Hudson Valley. That's what led me to discuss the New York and Long Island Sound areas as proximate to his area and possible for wintering. In the Canal itself you don't have an abundance of places to winterize and store either. So, just an option.

As to "What do you Northerners do?" that covers a large range of people and activities. And as mentioned by others there are year round liveaboards as far north as Toronto. There are those who haul their boats out and winterize them as far south as North Carolina.
Once you get more than 50-75 miles up the hudson, the weather is more mid-west than east coast.

Yes, there are people who do crazy things. Doesn't mean it's normal or typical. Northerners typically pull the boat out, winterize it and do something else until spring.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:05   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We stored the boat at Winter Harbor yard in Brewerton, NY. Indoor heated storage was expensive, but cheaper and easier than trying to winterize a Florida boat. Like most people, we got the hell out of there between October and May.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote