Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 12:01   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Re: Winter stop over in Sardinia?

Marina Di Ragusa is also highly recommended by members of the Cruising Association (uk). NOT expensive. Good service.. think it wld have cost me about 1/3rd of what I am paying near Triste. Pity I did not know before but it is 800 Nm from my current location.
Old 07-11-2016, 13:03   #17

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Olbia is around 1/4 the cost of Palma and offers much more. We've stayed at both places for extended periods of time.
Hi

Never been to Olbia. Saw pictures on internet. Looks nice. And a quarter of the price? I'll have to check it out. Are moorings usually available? What would be the approximate monthly cost of a mooring (slip)?

PJ Kelly
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:36   #18

You will need to negotiate. THE baseline is problem around €2/metre per day but possibly only 1/4 of this for the winter 6 mths.

Around the corner to the South of Olbia is a large bay sheltered by the enormous rock called Tavolara Depending how independent you are on yr boat ( power, water, ) you could safely anchor somewhere in that area. NOT sure how many of the beach- bars and shops are still open in the winter. If you have a good fridge you could do a weekly shopping. Tavolara is an impressive bay.
Old 07-11-2016, 14:37   #19

Boat: Etap 38i

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and your advice, we are intending to travel down the East coast of Sardinia. We now have a short list of marinas to approach/aim for which makes our lives a lot easier.

Once again thanks to all of you that have taken the time to respond.

Derek and Claire

Sailingredrooster.com
Redrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 15:32   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp08 View Post
Hi

Never been to Olbia. Saw pictures on internet. Looks nice. And a quarter of the price? I'll have to check it out. Are moorings usually available? What would be the approximate monthly cost of a mooring (slip)?

PJ Kelly
Most local business won't quote a discounted marina price over the phone or via email. In person, expect to be offered a friendly cash discount.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 15:56   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter stop over in Sardinia?

I've stayed at Marina Capitana across from Cagliari.. very nice people, very quiet, travel lift, decent supermarket a short walk from the marina.. 30-40minute bus ride to Cagliari.. much longer to airport. Not that cheap at 270/week in early June.
The other is Alghero which I really liked, great food, historic and friendly locals.
One advantage of the 'Off Season is one can tie alongside at the town dock under the walls for 3-5days for free while you choose which marina and whether you like the place.. Marina we chose cost 25euro/night late May..
Oh..!! and the boats 39ft.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 17:20   #22

I spent on/off 5 years based from Olbia Sardinia and loved it: great restaurants, excellent boat services and very convenient to OLB airport. It's a "working" town, yet 30 mins from the fancy spots of the Costa Smeralda, if/when you want them. Porto Rotundo is closer than Porto Cervo and great, but somewhat isolated and (still) expensive. There is a Very convenient "new" public marina walking distance to the "old" town. (Sorry I don't know the name). Great chandlery is also walkable.
If the West Coast appeals to you, then Alghero is a good choice. Again, markets and services near by.
Enjoy!
bluewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 18:03   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Marina Di Ragusa is also highly recommended by members of the Cruising Association (uk). NOT expensive. Good service.. think it wld have cost me about 1/3rd of what I am paying near Triste. Pity I did not know before but it is 800 Nm from my current location.
Yes, I keep hearing of Marina Di Ragusa (which is in Sicily, not Sardinia, but I will get back to Sardinia in a minute). We have stayed at Ragusa three times in the past two seasons. The marina is fine, but to me feels somewhat isolated as far as the marina hub is concerned (you are basically sitting off a street with houses looking down on you, and the marina hub is east, along the foreshore, then the actual village is another walk further again).
Friendly enough, but not so well priced, and if you want to haul out for the winter, the hard stand is very exposed (and expensive).

Another couple of hours sail west, will get you to Licata, and Marina Di Cala Del Sole. Now this marina is like a village - enclosed inside a main harbour, therefore giving double protection from storms. The marina hub is also right at the centre of the marina, so any problems are noticed quickly. There is a major shopping centre right at the back of the marina, then there is the city of Licata, along with four traditional boat yards (some still build traditional wooden fishing boats).
Pricing is certainly better, as are the facilities, and there is never any problem finding a marinero to give you a hand with something - the people are very friendly, and there is no question which of the two I would prefer to over-winter in.

Having said all of that, Sicily is not Sardinia, and the question was regarding Sardinia. We love Sardinia and Corsica - would go back in a flash if we did not have more exploring east to do first. We only have experience of the east coast of Sardinia, and obviously others have more than us, but I would just comment to consider the prevailing wind/storms in choosing between the west and the east. There are a number of nice 'communal village' style marinas on the east at least.

I will follow this thread with interest.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 19:42   #24

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Move south asap for milder temperature.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 20:17   #25
cruiser

And then come join us next season in the Adriatic.
Old 07-11-2016, 20:48   #26

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
And then come join us next season in the Adriatic.
Probably best as another thread, but we need to look at possibilities for winter storage in the Adriatic, in case we end up getting no further (supposedly going through the Greek Islands to end up in Turkey next year, but only have nine weeks or so including in and out prep).
We (boat anyway) are currently at Licata.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:45   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Probably best as another thread, but we need to look at possibilities for winter storage in the Adriatic, in case we end up getting no further (supposedly going through the Greek Islands to end up in Turkey next year, but only have nine weeks or so including in and out prep).
We (boat anyway) are currently at Licata.
We keep our boat in San Giorgio Di Nogaro, Italy. Inland up a channel, no weather worries, brackish water, very secure and no expensive. 80km east of Venice.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:01   #28

Ken, when i was in Sicily this year i found myself moored alongside someone else who spoke highly of San Giorgio di Nogaro. I need to have my boat hauled out in Feb/Mar for antifouling & anodes. will see what the guys wish to charge.

I know this thread is Sardinia but i dont think it is fair to compare prices with the Baleares. Last year i was with a friend on a 53ft like yrs and Ibiza charged us €560 for one night. I was in Formentera this year (anchored, free) but the marina in Formentera port asked me €344 for my 43ft (13 m). Crazy when one can anchor for free near Spalmadora about 1 Nm away.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:48   #29

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
We keep our boat in San Giorgio Di Nogaro, Italy. Inland up a channel, no weather worries, brackish water, very secure and no expensive. 80km east of Venice.
Yes, but full of Mosquitos. Never saw so many mosquitos. Are you in the marina? I have been there for a month or so upgrading my boat after delivery...but not expensive is, not expensive for Italy

Do you have discovered the Cantina that there is some miles back on the road? Cheap food, good wine and nice "working class" ambiance.

On that region try to taste the local old beer. Trieste region belonged for much more centuries to the Austrian/Hungary empire than to Italy and the tradition is an old Austrian one. If you can don't miss this shop, in Trieste. Lovely city too, kind of an Austrian city by culture and architecture.
Trieste | Hops Beer Shop
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:14   #30

are the mozzies just in the summer in S Andrea, S Giorgio di Nogaro, or also in the winter?