Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:44   #1

Boat: Etap 38i
Winter stop over in Sardinia?

Hi,

My wife and I living aboard Red Rooster are currently sheltering from bad weather in Calvi, Corsica. We are starting to think about a marina for the winter. We think we will get to Sardinia in a few weeks time and was wondering if anyone on the forum had any reccomendations?

Regards and thanks

Derek
Redrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:54   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Winter stop over in Sardinia??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrooster View Post
Hi,

My wife and I living aboard Red Rooster are currently sheltering from bad weather in Calvi, Corsica. We are starting to think about a marina for the winter. We think we will get to Sardinia in a few weeks time and was wondering if anyone on the forum had any reccomendations?

Regards and thanks

Derek

I remember Marina di Sant'Elmo in the center of Alghero being popular with cruisers wintering in Sardinia. The good thing about already being on the west coast of Corsica is that you'll avoid beating to windward through the Bonifacio straits to reach Alghero - you should be able to reach with the wind on the beam most of the way there!

Sent from mTalk
Old 06-11-2016, 07:17   #3

Re: Winter stop over in Sardinia?

Thank you for your suggestion 'Cavalier' we will get in touch with them and ask about cost's etc.

Regards

Derek
Old 06-11-2016, 07:19   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

It depends on your budget. Regarding an agreeable place it is difficult to beat Alghero. If you are on a tight budget take a look at Arbatax on the East coast: protected port and the city is not that bad. Good shipyards to make any work on the boat.

Take care, huge storm on the West costs of Corsica and Sardinia in some days. If you think it is bad weather now....you will be surprised.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:15   #5

Hi Polax,

Thank you very much for the information and for the weather warning. We will be staying put in Calvi until it's blown through.

Regards

Derek
Old 07-11-2016, 09:22   #6

Boat: NAJAD 440CC

Hi Derek,
the closest marina to an airport are Algero, Olbia and Cagliari.
A nice marina not expensive with excellent shelter is Santa Teresa di Gallura
Santa Teresa Gallura Marina - North Sardinia - Italy
Have a nice sail.
Giorgio
giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34   #7

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Hi

I'd vote for Palma de Mallorca (Club de Mar) which is well sheltered, with excellent facilities and a very reasonable concierge service (if you need to leave your boat unattended for a while). And if you need work done, you have access to some of the best shipyards on the planet.

Pat Kelly
HARDSHIP II
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:49   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello,

In 2012 we left our boat in Porto Rotondo (one month in winter = one day in summer). But I am not sure if it is fine for living aboard. Olbia was about one hour by bus.

Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:51   #9
cruiser

There are several good marinas in Olbia, Sardinia along with an international airport within 10 minutes. All marine services and supplies along with restaurants and retail stores within a 5-15 minute bike ride. I'd place Olbia high up on your list and choose the marina right next to the airport which is only a 10 minute walk away from the biggest retail mall and supermarket in town.

The Straight of Bonifacio is no big deal to cross, just make sure you don't try to do it between two storms like we did. Most of the time it's just like any other uneventful passage, we've done it many times during sunny skies and light winds, only once in lousy weather. Even heading south from Calvi is OK with 30-35 knot winds just so long as they're behind you, but it can be difficult getting out of Calvi in those conditions.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp08 View Post
Hi

I'd vote for Palma de Mallorca (Club de Mar) which is well sheltered, with excellent facilities and a very reasonable concierge service (if you need to leave your boat unattended for a while). And if you need work done, you have access to some of the best shipyards on the planet.

Pat Kelly
HARDSHIP II
Olbia is around 1/4 the cost of Palma and offers much more. We've stayed at both places for extended periods of time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:24   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Olbia: maybe Ken should have also added that the marina near the airport (virtually nil airport noise from what i remember) will also take you to the shopping mall in their van and you then fix a pickup time later so they will come and get you with all your shopping. It works very well. Reasonable restaurant in the marina but i suspect it is only open in the summer months.

The actual town of Olbia needs a taxi to get to but it depends what you are looking for. The nearby shopping mall (truly only 10 mins walk) has everything you could ever imagine, enormous supermarket, phone shops, diving gear shops, banks, clothes shops, snack bars, restaurants....... I am not sure how much stays open in the winter since Sardinia tends to shut down after Sept/Oct.

If you want something a bit more primitive you could try Villasimius on the SE corner of Sardinia. Large marina but rarely ever full so probably would give a good discount. There is a small supermarket in the marina but probably closed in the winter. the village is about 20 mins walk but there is a local bus. The little supermarkets in the village are not really set up for delivery of your shopping to the marina but a local taxi would be the solution. There is certainly one night club (in the summer) a short taxi from the marina or hire a bicycle, but not sure about winter months. As I said, it is a bit primitive but has the most amazing long clean sandy beaches. you could go kite-sailng on the beach. the salt lake is regularly visited by a flock of flamingoes who come from the salt flats in Cagliari.

PS: I have set foot in Sardinia every year since 1969, sometimes just a few days , sometimes a month or so. Have also sailed many times all the coasts.

Andrew
SY "Genial Bee"
Old 07-11-2016, 10:25   #12

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

We spent a few weeks in Carlo Forte marina in September-October 2015.
Marina fees are very reasonable and marina staff is very good and keep a good eye on the boats to make sure they stay secured in blows.
Carlo Forte is a small island on the south-west corner of Sardinia. The village has character, has good restaurants and people are charming.
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:38   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Yes, Carloforte is special because the people are fantastic. Much better than those on th main island of Sardinia (within limits of not wishing to tag a local character by over-generalising). Carloforte has had a long history in the tuna business. If that interests you try Osteria della Tonnara ( also called Rist da Andrea,) along the quay at the S end and you will experience all the subtleties of the tastes of the parts of a tuna and the many ways it can be prepared. I always thought tuna was tuna but there are so many different cuts like beef, lamb, pork etc.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:32   #14

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

It might be too far you but you should consider Marina di Ragusa in Sicily:

It is one of the least expensive marinas for winter.
Very protected and fairly good security.
Over 100 overwinterers and over 50 liveaboards. As much social stuff as you could want.

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:55   #15

Hi
I would add another vote for Carloforte, Marina Sifredi. The owner & staff are lovely and the place is also very nice & seems very safe. Will have decent prices as well.
We have sailed up the West side of Sardinia in Sept & Oct this year, it would have been our choice if we stayed in Sardinia. I have also heard good things about St Elmo.
Bryn
bryn123 is offline   Reply With Quote