Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2020, 07:25   #1

Boat: Endeavour Catamaran 36'
Winter Slips New Bedford MA

This post is for information only in the hope it will be helpful to somebody. Not meant as an advertisement. I have no affiliation with Pope's Island Marina except for having been a very satisfied slip holder for several years, including one New England winter. Understood if this post is not allowed, Admins will take it down.

Pope's Island Marina, the Municipal Marina run by the city of New Bedford has just announced that it will host winter slips for the 2020-2021 winter season.
There is a caveat that they must have at least 10 boats contracted by October 1st.
New Bedford Harbor is located on the south coast of New England, is nearly brushed by the Gulf Stream and as such can TEND to have somewhat milder winter conditions than north or east facing coastlines.
Additionally the harbor is protected by a hurricane/storm barrier which is closed during big storms and, when deemed appropriate, astronomically high tides.
There is a wealth of info out here regarding living aboard in cold weather. The Boston live aboard community numbers in the hundreds. We availed ourselves of all that info and spent a very comfortable in-water winter season there two years ago. Our good friend Dan is a member of this forum and plans to spend his 8th (I think) winter in New Bedford waters this year. Dan, along with others, was a big help to us and we're glad to offer any help gleaned from our own experience as well.
If anybody is looking for a Southern New England based in water slip, live aboard or not, for the coming winter, I can suggest contacting Alex Butters at Pope's Island Marina in New Bedford Massachusetts at
(508) 979- 1456.
Mike Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 08:28   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Winter Slips New Bedford MA

i miss that part of new england. would love to slip/live there again one day. such a beautiful coastal area.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 09:19   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Winter Slips New Bedford MA

Hi. We spent a winter in New Bedford Harbor but on the Fairhaven side.
Two full Storms and a couple of Gales but no problems because of the dike.
Great libraries. Food and marine supplies close.
Perfect winter harbor.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a warmer manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed