Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 09:06   #16

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Winter Moorage in the San Juan Islands - liveaboard

A friend of ours just took a 40 ft slip in Blaine for about $400US. He is on his boat full time. Don't know if he is officially live aboard or just nobody cares too much.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:25   #17

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hi, I'm in Blaine and the live aboard/sneak aboard thing is a huge issue right now both here and in Bellingham (both run by Port of Bellingham). That being said there are plenty of empty spaces here in Blaine since the Canadian exchange rate went crazy. They may or may not start a "live aboard fee" in January - anywhere from $25 - 75 per month. Other than that it's very clean, pretty secure and the staff are nice.

We have looked at John Wayne Marina - it's cheaper and looks very nice (a CF member "uncle stinky bob"(??) lives there). Semiahmoo is basically charging the same as Blaine and B'ham but they have better amenities. I've often wanted to see if Point Roberts is more affordable with the exchange rate.

I know many marinas have a plan that if you pay up front they will charge you 11 months fees and you're paid up for the year. It sounds like that may be too big a chunk though.

Much good luck to you - please let us know how you're doing.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12   #18

Boat: Beneteau 321

Port Browning on North Pender Island is a great, protected spot. Their website is quoting Oct. 1 – Mar. 31 – buy 6 months bulk………….$9.00/foot/month. $50.00/month for power. Prices in Canadian dollars so you save some money.
It's a low key, friendly marina. My wife and I sail out of Sidney, Vancouver Island. Port Browning is one of our favourite spots in the Gulf Islands.
You might want to give them a call and see what they say about liveaboard for the winter. I'm sure they'd be amendable to the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:09   #19

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Everett used to transfer some of their guest moorage slips to Winter rates for the Winter months. They also have tenant sublets on slips. I rented subs there for years. About the cost I don't know for your size. Cap Sante has empty slips as I write this, your size? Takes a call.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 09:02   #20

Boat: Trawler custom 60'

if you dont mind the south sound.Jarrells cove has a nice marina at good rates.I have 70' of dock and pay 420.00 a month..there are a few liveaboards there all very friendly..also check breamerton..good luck
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 08:24   #21

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

You certainly have a dynamic learning experience ahead of you! Some people have gotten away with SneakaBoarding but it can end up with a nasty experience if you are caught and they evict you in the middle of the winter and forbid you to stay onboard as of right now. The whole issue of liveaboards is in major flux but, as always, marinas and marina managers have different ways of enforcing the rules.

Not every marina has good protection from winter winds. Some people will tolerate high winds and poor protection in exchange for low rates. You'll just have to ask the locals how it is. The worst winds, in the San Juan area, are from the north and from the southeast, with the longest and fiercest mostly from the SE. But the islands have squirrely wind patterns with different winds on varying spots even on one island.

I would not recommend living on a mooring at all in the winter unless you are OK staying on for days at a time, on an unplanned basis, and wet if not too exciting dinghy rides to and fro. You might even get stuck on shore with the dink when a storm comes in and makes it life threatening to go out.

Sounds romantic and cheap, but I think I am pretty safe in saying that once you try it you will never do it again. But, hey, some people like that kind of adventure. The fact of the matter is that it is challenging just living on a boat in a marina in the winters here. Many do it but it is a radical change in lifestyle what with long cold/rainy walks to the heads/showers/parking lot/etc. But since you are already doing it now it may not be so hard to adapt. Having done it both in the winter and in the summer, I can say it is exponentially different in the winter with not only stormy/wet times but also the short days, low sun on the horizon, long nights, and heavy clouds. But, this coming winter may be much drier and sunnier. It is going that way.

The other issue is being close to necessities such as groceries and place to go to get some relief from the monotony of a small cramped space for a family of five. Kudos to you that you can handle five on a 41' boat for extended periods already.

Deer Harbor would not be on the top of my list unless you want a dreary isolated experience. Very pretty and I have heard that the marina people there, and the island people, are very nice.

Lopez is a cool place. Not much in the way of amenities. Very small grocery store and a few other things (good ice cream!) and a very laid back island style. The harbor is somewhat protected, especially from swell and ferry wakes.

Friday Harbor would be at the top of my list for amenities and is fairly well protected. I don't know about the marina mentioned above that is there. Friday Harbor is the closest to a real town/village in the islands with much more to do and places to buy the necessities without a ferry ride all the time. The ferry wakes can be a PIA but that would depend on where you are docked. Roche Harbor is much more deluxe but is probably the most expensive.

Blaine is an option but not in the islands, at all! It is very exposed and is a downright cold place in the winter at the end of the wind funnel called the Fraiser River valley. Perhaps I am overstating it but don't think so. Others can set me right I guess. The marinas have been upgraded I think. If you want something more exotic you could look in to Point Roberts where you have to cross the US-Canada border twice to get to it and back to the rest of the US. No idea about liveaboards there. You are very close to Vancouver and surrounds which is pretty cool, but so is Blaine.

Anacortes is a possibility too as it is close to the San Juans and is an island itself (sorta kinda). Nice little town. It can be hard to get liveaboard status and is not cheap. It is easier to get slips in the winter as many people haul their boats and put them on the hard then. Some marinas require annual leases or no go though. But that just depends. Anacortes Marina is a condo marina and the owners who have boats they use in the summer may be willing to do a short term lease if the manager will let you. Not cheap though as noted.

People do it. I have several friends around my slip that liveaboard full time. But no big families. Actually no families at all. It takes a special family to do that. Sounds like you must have one of those.

Good luck!
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 11:36   #22

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

"but also the short days, low sun on the horizon, long nights and heavy clouds". Yes to all that. We had 3 day gales once a week Feb and March last year. Anonometer hit 83mph. This is the way we deal with dark and cold which makes it quite pleasant. Now if only I didn't have to walk rhe quarter mile to the top of the dock...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474223792116.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	131322   Click image for larger version

Name:	1474223804332.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	131323  

Tags