Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 02:55   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Winter Liveaboard - Kingston, Ontario

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, wcs2000 and jenweese.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 04:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We have lived aboard for 15 years in Lake Ontario (with occasional forays south), first at Port Credit Yacht Club and now Royal Hamilton Yacht Club. It's not very difficult once you learn a few tricks.

Our hull is lined with 1/2" foam insulation, we have heat lamps under the bed and under galley soles and in the engine compartment with a few little 12volt computer fans to move the air around. Our boat is fully shrink wrapped at the moment and we install clear plastic windows for daylight.

We keep a water hose connected to the boat all winter with the over end capped and leave the hose in the water, when we want water we pull up the hose connect it to the club house and fill the tanks.

We built a pumpout cart on a wagon with a 12volt pump and empty our hilding tank into it. The sewage catch basin is only 100' away so we wheel the cart over and drain it there. Theres more but we'll wait for questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuddy%20Shrink.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	50133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow boat.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	50134  

Old 16-12-2012, 03:08   #18

Boat: Bayfeild 32

I Was going to over winter this year in Frenchman's Bay but lost my nerve... I should have. I am in the water in early May or late April depending on crane day this year was my first year and I found it cold in the early months. One of the things I have noticed was the fact that the air in the boat would be warm but the boat itself was cold. Kinda like being in a bubble of warm air in refrigerator. I suspect two things came to play here, first I didn't have the boat covered and second no insulation on the hull or V berth. I will try this in the spring and see what difference it makes. In the event I live aboard next winter how is the engine compartment dealt with? Do you winterize it or just heat the engine space? Also, is there a better cover, canvas, shrink wrap, etc?
Rubber Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 03:34   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter Liveaboard - Kingston, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
In the event I live aboard next winter how is the engine compartment dealt with? Do you winterize it or just heat the engine space? Also, is there a better cover, canvas, shrink wrap, etc?
If you've shore power just suspend a light bulb in the engine room fairly low down and leave it switched on... does the trick.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 03:46   #20

Boat: Bayfeild 32

Really just a lightbulb? I suppose I have to insulate the hull in the engine compartment yes? I have read where you need large wattage engine heaters to over winter, and winterizing didn't make sense to me because the water would still be in the intake at least. If I can get a way with just a lightbulb this is more doable for me.

Thanks
Rubber Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 13:37   #21

Boat: Hughs 38

Did anyone actually find a place in Kingston? I'm looking now too. Thanks.
sedentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 02:42   #22

No one is responding but I have heard from a reliable source..that the only marina in Kingston that allows winter liveaboards..is not accepting any one new. They grandfathered the existing boats but everyone else is out of luck. Rumor is that one liveaboard left his boat in the middle of winter and went to Florida...his boat sank and he didn't have insurance. I'm not 100% sure but its the only information I have at the moment. If anyone knows differently or of a marina that still does it in the Kingston/ Gananoque are please share.
pyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 03:40   #23

Boat: Morgan 383

Of couse you should "winterize" the motor. Once winterized (that means getting RV antifreeze in the seawater cooling circuit), close the seacock just before you shut the engine down (assuming you winterize in the water.) I suggest closing the seacock with the engine running in order to be confident there is only AF in the exhaust line.
Just hanging a light bulb may work, but the practice has risks including a burned out light bulb, power loss (cord comes unplugged even) and may not provide enough heat to provide protection in the coldest weather.
Why take a risk?
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 05:00   #24

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

When you winter in , in this climate you winterize your engine. The intake is closed, if the power went out or your heater failed you would not want to be one of those who sink at the dock due to a cracked intake and uncontrolled winter ingress while you are out shopping or visiting friends for the weekend.
Pyeguy, you are correct this marina is not accepting any new year round liveaboards. Yes indeed there was a sinking at the dock and it happened quickly. The only marina I know of in the area that is now allowing this is located in Belleville.
This is unfortunate because these year round boaters are a marinas best security.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 14:08   #25

I'm at stillwater basin marina in belleville currently. The owner is unsure about continuing doing winter liveaboards next year. I think he might consider liveaboards with experience but I can't be certain. There's only one way to find out...
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24   #26

Boat: Hughs 38

Hi,

I messaged about this a few years back but didn't find out a ton. If anyone on this forum is a winter liveaboard I'd love to hear from you. Let me know where you are and the experience there please.

I have been around on the lakes for a few years but not off season. I'd love to do that.

Thanks.
sedentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:32   #27

I did it for four years, two winter's. I loved it and I look forward to doing it again. Finding a marina that does winter liveaboards is the hardest part. I think Stillwater basin in Belleville is allowing them under the new ownership, Pickering and Toronto has Marinas that allow it.
Old 20-10-2018, 17:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenweese View Post
Hello everyone. I had the same question does anyone know a marina in the Kingston, Ontario area that has year round slips we are hoping to liveaboard by this summer and would like to know where to start...
I'm curious about this as well. Does anyone have winter liveaboard experience in the Kingston area recently, like last year or doing it this year? If so I'd be keen to chat about it.
TJ_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:10   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_T View Post
I'm curious about this as well. Does anyone have winter liveaboard experience in the Kingston area recently, like last year or doing it this year? If so I'd be keen to chat about it.
Kingston Marina was the last place in that area to have year round liveaboards but they stopped it a few years ago.
Old 20-10-2018, 21:21   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Kingston Marina was the last place in that area to have year round liveaboards but they stopped it a few years ago.

Belleville's Stillwater Marina was allowing winter liveaboards as of last winter.

Tags
liveaboard, ontario