Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 06:01   #46

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Winter in Annapolis practical for liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanrock View Post
Unless living in Annapolis is a requirement, which I would totally get it if that is the case cuz we love visiting Annapolis, there are alternatives which might be cheaper too.
Sure. Pasadena, Galesville, Deale, Stevensville, Mayo, ... lots of nearly but not quite Annapolis. Also worth crawling through some of the smaller boutique marinas in Annapolis which are often cheaper. I spent one winter at Jimmy Allsop's marina behind the North Sails loft - power, water, parking and no other amenities.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:55   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
It is true that the water is warmer here in Norfolk, but not by enough that your reverse cycle will work all winter. Once the water temp drops below 45-50 degrees reverse cycle stops being able to squeeze heat out and your system will error off. Right now the water temp is 40 degrees and the only solution is space heaters or another auxiliary system such as espar or similar.
JEB

Ours worked with water temps down to 38-40°F.

-Chris
Old 10-02-2021, 07:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ours worked with water temps down to 38-40°F
Mine stopped heating reliably admittedly to a fairly warm temperature of 78°F when water temperatures reached 40°F. If I remember correctly the maximum temperature differential is a limiting factor as well as the absolute water temperature.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:05   #49

Boat: Alberg 35

I am currently wintering here in Annapolis. Other than water being turned off at the dock, everything else is pretty normal. I have two 1500w ceramic heaters, and a Shipmate paraffin heater if it gets exceptionally cold.

I think you would want a boat that was suited for colder areas or at least had some sort of insulation or thicker decks to make life more enjoyable. Having a boat that doesn't leak helps too.

I tend to leave the v-birth hatch cracked a couple inches, and the companionway hatch cracked a couple inches as well. This in combo with the dorades seems to have kept all condensation from forming. I did have a little at first where my bedding was contacting the bare glass of the hull, but trimming the mattress foam a couple inches away from the hull, and insulating the hull/under the mattress has stoped that as well. So far there is no mold/mildew forming, and it usually stays exceptionally dry inside.

I also do not shower on the boat during the winter.

It has been snowing/icing up every couple days here recently. Keeping the cabin warm helps to melt snow off the deck. It gets old waking up to rid the flimsy bimini of snow but it is what it is.

Also, some marinas offer much cheaper rates during the winter!

I will never ever ever winter somewhere where it snows again unless I am going somewhere. It seems like a fun romantic idea to sit by the old Shipmate and drink tea, but it gets old(and cold) real fast. Or at least for me.

TLDR: it is doable, but not for everyone or every boat.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:28   #50

For some reason @Linesledaft's post made me think of something important.

If you install a forced air diesel heater (which I do recommend), be sure the air outlet in the head is situated so you can aim the air flow at the toilet seat. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-02-2021, 16:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Mine stopped heating reliably admittedly to a fairly warm temperature of 78°F when water temperatures reached 40°F. If I remember correctly the maximum temperature differential is a limiting factor as well as the absolute water temperature.
In the Chesapeake you also have to worry about how fresh the water is. In the creek where we keep our boat the water can end up being almost fresh water and as a result the raw water freezes inside the heat exchanger of the heat pump (which is below freezing when acting as a heater trying to dump the "cold" into the raw water). That limits us when the water is already near freezing.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, cal, liveaboard