Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 12:02   #31

Re: WiFi Range Extender vs MiFi Hotspot vs etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
Unfortunately, not overly impressed. There's a short in the power supply, currently plugged into cig outlet while configuring. DO NOT like that it doesn't support 5G, that's a bit of a drag. I've got a SIM in it and want to test that out. But I've been trying to get both Cust Service and Tech Support on calls or at least respond to emails... all quiet. I'll keep trying!! Generally a clever device, but that lack of 5G may be a deal breaker
I don't know why not having 5G would be a deal breaker? It will be years before their is any serious 5G network deployment, and even then it will only be in dense metropolitan areas. 5G range is only 1500ft and it doesn't penetrate structure or even trees . They'll have to install a 5G tower every 1/2 mile to get uninterrupted coverage.

We'll have world-wide LEO satellite internet coming online from SpaceX long before an real 5G network deployment is made.
Inkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

I have Google Fi which has worked in every country I have been in. Google partners with carriers in each country and it's seamless from the user's perspective. It's $20/month, with $10/gb up to 6 gb, for a monthly maximum of $80. Above 6gb it's throttled to 256kbs unless you pay an exorbitant fee for more bandwidth. In foreign countries you do pay international calling rates but texting is free and unlimited.

That said when I got to the Dominican Republic I swapped in a local SIM card and data here is dirt cheap. $2 for 15gb, and you can re-up as often as you like.

In the Bahamas Aliv is like $85 for 300gb...

So I keep my Google Fi, so I have a permanent phone number, and is good for "stop gap" data, but I look at local options for data wherever I go.

Wifi extenders? Good to have as an option, but unsecured networks are getting fewer and farther between these days. Sometimes you get lucky and find one. Would I shell out for a built-in system like the Bullet? Not anymore.
I had a Google Fi sim for our 2018-2019 winter in the Caribbean & agree it's a great "stop gap", seamless as noted, and there doesn't seem to be a limit on tethering. However, it actually doesn't throttle you until 15GB ("unlimited" for $80/month after 6GB .. only to 15GB, so basically it's $80/15GB), then it's indeed painfully slow and you'll have pay an additional $10/GB for relief, which can add up quick. If you're sharing the hotspot, make sure devices aren't set to autodownload the latest podcasts/shows/etc when on wifi.

In most places, Digicel/etc had dirt cheap pay-as-you-go local data plans, but you have to go get a new one in each country. In the French islands, Orange had good post-pay plans--we did the max, ~70/100GB.

We had bought a Digital Yacht 4G Connect router which worked in the US & Antigua, and then never again (something about wrong bandwidths for the other countries' sim cards). Total waste. We didn't use our wifi extender either because connections were always crappy.

A note on Verizon 75GB plans -- there IS a throttle if you're tethering to a computer at 20/22GB. I've hit it a few times while trying to work, and not always in busy places, and it's very annoying. That said, now that we are back in the US, I have discontinued Google Fi for Verizon. It's $100/month + $10 for my iPad sim (cuz streaming TV), for basically unlimited data & not having to think further about it.
Kittykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:32   #33
Marine Service Provider

I have 6759 songs that is suppose to last for 19.8 days and 528 movies and that doesn't include box sets, TV series or 4 in one case, THANK GOD I WILL NOT HAVE TO HOOK UP!!!
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 13:16   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat View Post
If you're sharing the hotspot, make sure devices aren't set to autodownload the latest podcasts/shows/etc when on wifi.

And OS updates. Windows 10 is worst, but MacOS is no picnic. Then there are all those apps on laptops, tablets, and phones. Plus charts....
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:12   #35

Boat: Baba 35

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using this for a while now. Works pretty well if you point it in the right direction. I do recommend it.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender, wifi