Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 10:32   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56
Re: WiFi Boosters - what to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The Ubiquiti Unfi AP Outdoor model is far superior than the bullet models because they support 2x2 MIMO and the antennas still connect directly to the router so you don't have to deal with db loss because of a wire run.
I'm curious as to why you would state that the MIMO feature of the AP-Outdoor makes it far superior to the Bullet. MIMO gives increased bandwidth in scenarios where both participating devices support it. Connecting the AP-Outdoor to a non-MIMO device will still use only a single communication pathway.

Also, theoretical throughput, or observed increases in throughput within a purpose-built or customized network have little practical resemblance to what's found in marinas, and even less with the stray AP one might be able to pick up. My Bullet M2 regularly connects with the marina's AP with a bandwidth (180-240 Mbps) an order of magnitude (or more) higher than the connection between the marina net and the Internet (8-12 Mbps). Hence, actual throughput is in no way affected by slightly diminished throughput between my boat and the marina's net.

I have, at times, used an old dual-band AP/router combo, set up inside the vessel. One band is used to connect to the marina net, the other for the internal connections (vessel's AP). Throughput is vastly better than connecting individual user devices directly to the marina net, and, except with marina APs relatively far away, as good as using the Bullet with an external antenna.

Users should also know that the 2.4G band penetrates better, and reaches farther, than the 5G band in an outdoor environment as cluttered as a marina. While a clear line-of-sight between stations using 5G would give higher through-air throughput, the observed throughput may still not improve due to other bottlenecks in the system.
Frode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 12:29   #17

Re: WiFi Boosters - what to buy

Ended up getting the Microtek Metal 52 ac. Very happy with it. Superior build quality to others, comes with POE adapter and 6DB antenna, all for less than $120 on Amazon.

I went this route. Basic question.. should I get a router? Any details?
Peacesailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi